What are You Cooking the Week of December 24, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of December 24, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

There will be no cooking today in our house, other than steaming a vegetable in the microwave, as we have a Hickory Farms, as well as a Harry and David gift box. However, for those of you who are cooking today, here is the thread.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Today I made the broccoli casserole that we will reheat to have with our turkey. I also made the Barefoot Contessa’s smoked salmon spread for our hors d’oeuvre.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I baked a turkey breast to go with dressing for tomorrow,I made ambrosia with apples,oranges.crushed pineapple,cherries,rum soaked raisins,coconut and finely chopped pecans a little sugar and that's it.I've got greens out of the freezer ready to heat up,dressing is made in the fridge.Trying to do all I can today for tomorrow.

BakerAunt
          Participant

For Christmas dinner tonight, my husband roasted a turkey. I made the Pepperidge Farm Dressing (blue bag!), mashed potatoes, gravy, and steamed green beans.

RiversideLen
            Participant

For Christmas dinner I made a strip roast. Trimmed and salted it 3 days before, roasted it at 450 for 20 minutes, then reduced the heat to 300. Roasted it until the internal temp hit 125, removed it from the oven and covered with foil while the rest of dinner was being prepared, the temp rose to 141. It was tender and perfectly done.

chocomouse
              Participant

Christmas Eve dinner with our two children and five teen-age grandchildren was spiral sliced ham, pineapple, mashed potatoes, corn, baked beans, dinner rolls and garlic knots. Dessert, after opening gifts, was assorted cookies: molasses, orange, lemon, cranberry-coconut cookies, pecan pie bars, Buckeye bars, chocolate crack.
                Dinner on Christmas Day with my sister and her husband was roast beast, mashed potatoes, yams, turnips, roasted green beans, garlic knots and dinner buns, and chocolate-peanut butter cheesecake.
                Too much food, but all was delicious.

cwcdesign
                Participant

On Christmas Day I roasted the turkey to go with the broccoli casserole and the stuffing (blue bag) and scalloped potatoes that my mom brought. Now we have leftovers for days!

navlys
                  Participant

I made two 1 1/2 lbs. beef tenderloin roasts. I laid them together in a v-rack and roasted them at 425*. Since they were two separate pieces I timed them based on the recommended time for one piece, ie. 15 min per lb. Well instead of 25 minutes they took more like 50 minutes to get to 120**. So I sliced the one roast into steaks and finished them in my new Breville smart air oven. Could be 2 roasts take more time than 1 or my oven is off. Anyway I served the steaks with sweet potato fries and salad and garlic bread. Steak was great!!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

For Wednesday lunch, I'm made a version of Cass's Mother's Lentil Soup. I sautéed some chopped onion, celery, red bell pepper, and garlic in some bacon grease. I added sliced carrots. For liquid, I used 3 1/2 cups of the water left over from cooking the potatoes for Christmas dinner, and about 1 cup of drippings left from deglazing the roasting pan after the turkey. I added 1 cup mixed lentils and 1/2 cup pearl barley. I used 1/2 tsp Ozark seasoning from Penzey's. I moved it to the wood stove to boil, then simmer. Chopped parsley is added near the end of cooking.

luvpyrpom
                      Participant

Sunday was leftover Korean Chicken wings with roasted broccoli. Christmas dinner was potluck style as I had both my siblings' families - 14 people in total. So I roasted the prime rib, made honey wheat rolls, and roasted the broccoli and green beans. My sister roasted garlic potatoes. Sis-in-law brought appetizers - bacon wrapped w/brown sugar crackers, white bean hummus with basil and crackers, shrimp w/cocktail sauce, and she made an green apple-cranberry salad. Dessert was mainly the cookies which I will share on the baking thread. Been eating leftovers the last 2 nights. I did throw a pork roast into the slow cooker yesterday which we will probably eat on Friday.

skeptic7
                        Participant

I did carrot soup yesterday from this recipe. https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/carrot-ginger-soup

This is wonderfully tasty. I cut the ginger in slivers instead of grating it since it would end up in a blender. I also brought it to a boil, and then put it in a slow cooker on low while I went to work. This isn't a slow cooker recipe and if I had more time I would have made it on the stovetop but this worked out well.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Yesterday I made a big pot of corn chowder; it will give us several meals of leftovers. Dinner tonight is boneless chicken breasts simmered in my "garden special", which is tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, celery, diced carrots and/or zuchinni and/or summer squash or whatever else was ripe and left in the garden at the end of the season. It will give us a couple more meals with the final remnants made into soup.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

For Saturday's dinner, I made my turkey pot pie with the biscuit topping. It's becoming standard for us with turkey leftovers.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Our Saturday dinner was venison sausage and pancakes, with blueberries frozen from our garden and maple syrup from our sugaring operation last spring. It won't be too long before it is sugaring season again here!

BevM
                                Participant

BakerAunt, is your recipe for turkey pot pie posted? I make one also but it uses Campbell's cream of chicken soup. It makes a nice gravy, but I dislike their soups because of the salt. I also use leftover mashed potatoes for the topping. I still have some turkey in the freezer and with the cold weather coming up, it would be perfect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.