What are You Cooking the Week of December 23, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of December 23, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We are having leftovers again tonight. Serious cooking will begin tomorrow.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We're having Steak Diane tonight. Tomorrow we'll have chili and oyster stew for dinner, my son is doing duck for Christmas, I'll do the side dishes.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Our Christmas Eve dinner will be Salmon and Couscous with Greek Seasoning and microwaved peas.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

My son prepared the duck today (2 ducks + 2 full breasts), the legs are being done sous vide overnight, the breasts will be steamed and then finished in a pan or under the broiler. He also roasted the bones, I added the giblets to the bones and then made a batch of duck stock. I also have about a cup and a half of rendered duck fat and the deglazed fond from the roasting pan to make gravy with tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I helped my wife make a trifle today, using the King Arthur recipe for pastry cream.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We had dressing,turnips,sweet potato souffle with marshmallow topping,ambrosia,corn bread and chocolate cake.For the meat my husband requested pork chops so that's what we had,it was all good.
                Our son is enjoying all this country cooking he's getting and I'm enjoying him.
                By the way my turnips were already cooked in the freezer and dressing also and it all tasted like I had just baked it so I was very pleased and a lot less stressed.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                chocomouse
                Participant

Dinner on Christmas night was shared with my husband, my sister and her husband, a quiet evening. We had roast beast, mashed potatoes with gravy, dinner rolls, roasted Brussels sprouts, and broccoflower salad. We had dinner with our children and grandchildren on Sunday evening, due to individuals' work schedules. For that, we had ham, pineapple, mashed potatoes, corn, maple candied carrots, broccoli salad, dinner rolls and garlic knots. Dessert was a cookie tray. We had as much fun watching five teen-agers, ages 16, 16, 17, 18, and 20, chat and open gifts as we did when they were toddlers ripping open packages!

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I made a vegetable soup (onion, celery, carrots from our garden, mushrooms, parsley) with chicken broth and Christmas shaped pasta for lunch on Christmas Day.

For dinner, my husband roasted at 15 lb. turkey (smallest we could find when we bought it before Thanksgiving). I made a "lighter" version of my blue-bag Pepperidge Farm dressing, which means I used a bit more than 1 Tbs. butter (usually I use 8 Tbs.). I cut back the broth a bit so it would not be soggy. It was pretty good, even though my taste buds would have liked more butter. We also had steamed broccoli, before moving on to pumpkin pie.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I never bother with butter for stuffing, I use the Pepperidge Farms herb cubes, add some onion and celery that had been boiled in stock for a while and raisins that had been moistened so they plumped up. I also added half a Granny Smith apple to the stuffing I made yesterday.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Today I made a small pot of chili.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

For Christmas I made a strip roast. Been having leftovers since.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight we had cubed pork,lima beans,rice and corn bread.

chocomouse
                            Participant

I used my new spiralizer to make thin onion slices and zucchini and yellow squash noodles, which I sauteed and tossed with olive oil, sliced black olives, and parmesan. The food was excellent, and so much easier to prepare than using my old, hand crank spiralizer. We ate it with pork steaks and mashed potatoes.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

After having both sons here for a week, we've got a lot of leftovers, so we'll be in leftover mode probably until the new year.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

We had hamburger on light bread.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.