What are You Baking the Week of August 6, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 6, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday evening, I put together the dough for my buttermilk double-crust. I will bake a blueberry pie tomorrow.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
      cwcdesign
      Participant

Sunday I made some lemon squares using a jar of Trader Joe's lemon curd that was near its use by date. I googled lemon squares with lemon curd and found this one

They are really quite good - my crust went a little wonky but I think that's because my butter was too soft (it was really hot yesterday) and then I overprocessed it because of that - half went to my lemon-loving son who will turn 29 on Wednesday and the other half to work today

BakerAunt
        Participant

I baked my blueberry pie this morning. Instead of cutting slits in the top crust, I used a small heart cutter and cut out three hearts. I put those on the pie. It will be our only blueberry pie of the season, since we were late getting to Indiana, and so we ended up picking the smaller, less juicy blueberries (the ones that were still green when the first ripe batch was picked). Even though we picked for two and a half hours, we only got 8 1/4 pounds. Except for the pie, and the blueberry hot cross buns I made, the rest will be frozen for my husband to use on his oatmeal (unless I steal some for blueberry muffins).

Instead of making slits in the pie crust, I used my smallest heart-shaped biscuit cutter and made three heart cut outs around the center. I put the cut-out pieces on top of the crust outside that circle. The pie is for our anniversary dinner, so hearts are appropriate.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Happy Anniversary Bakeraunt and I made a Blueberry Yum Yum dessert with a crust from shortbread cookies was cool and light.I also use heavy whipping cream in most recipes if the regular isn't stocked,never a problem.

Italiancook
            Participant

Ditto on your anniversary, BakerAunt. I hope it turns out to be a great day.

I'm curious about your Blueberry Yum Yum dessert, Joan. I have my mother's recipe for Yum Yum Salad, which is a lemon jello-based "salad." I always serve it as a salad, but since it has Cool Whip in it, I think of it as a fake salad. Is your Yum Yum dessert also jello-based? (There's no crust to the Yum Yum Salad.)

This afternoon, I baked Martha Stewart's Oatmeal-Raisin Bars for the first time. Pretty good, and quick to make. The recipe says to use rolled oats, not quick ones. I don't stock rolled oats, so I used the quick oats (not instant). I was concerned eating them that they are too buttery (3/4 cup butter for an 8" dish). So I went online to read about substituting olive oil for butter. I'll make these again using olive oil.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Blueberry Yum Yum

Print
                Prep time
                25 mins
                Cook time
                5 mins
                Total time
                30 mins

Serves: 10 to 12 servings
                Ingredients
                1 (10-ounce) package Lorna Doone Cookies
                ¼ cup butter, melted
                1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
                1 cup powdered sugar
                2 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
                1 (21-ounce) can blueberry pie filling
                1 cup chopped pecans
                Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350°. Crush the Lorna Doone cookies and reserve about ½ cup of the crumbs for the topping. Mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter. Press them into the bottom of a 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Bake for 5 minutes and then cool completely.
                In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 1 container of the thawed whipped topping by stirring by hand. Once thoroughly mixed, spread the mixture over the cooled crust.
                Drop dollops of the blueberry pie filling over the cream cheese layer and spread carefully. Sprinkle pecans over the pie filling. Top with the remaining container of whipped topping and sprinkle with the reserved crushed cookies. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

This is the recipe Italiancook,no jello but does have cool whip.I do not put the pecans in this and I also use any shortbread cookie,sometimes I can't find Lorna Doone and they are more costly than the Keebler short bread cookies.I know it's easy and not really cooking but it's very good and not too sweet.This recipe comes from Southern Bites and if you look it up it shows a good photo,looks nice and holds up well.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                Joan Simpson
                Participant

Italiancook I'm going to post recipe from Southern Bites.Not word for word cause I don't want to infringe on any ones recipe.
                  Blueberry Yum Yum
                  1-10 oz. pkg. of short bread cookies
                  1/4-cup melted butter
                  1-8 oz. cream cheese(softened)
                  1-cup powder sugar
                  2-8 oz. cool whip thawed
                  1-21 oz.can Blueberry pie filling
                  1-cup chopped pecans
                  Preheat oven 350*.Crush cookies reserving 1/2 cup crumbs for topping.Mix cookie crumbs with butter,press into 9x13 baking dish,bake 5 min and cool completely.(I had to cook mine a tad longer)recipe called for Lorna Doone cookies but I used Keebler short bread as they were much cheaper.

In large bowl mix cream cheese with powder sugar with mixer,when combined add 1 8 oz.cool whip by hand.Once completely mixed,spread mixture over cooled crust.
                  Drop dollops of Blueberry pie filling over cream cheese layer and spread carefully. Sprinkle nuts on if desired I didn't add pecans.Top with remaining container of cool whip and sprinkle reserved crumbs on top I forgot and didn't save crumbs for top but wasn't missed,just looks pretty.Refrigerate for a couple hours before cutting ,this holds up well and is pretty and not too sweet.Everyone that eats this loves it.You can go to the site Southern Bites and see a picture.

no jello in this one.I also make a lemon lush recipe with lemon pie filling but it has flour crust and is very good.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Joan, your recipe reminds me of one I have called Cherry Flip. I've had the recipe on an index card for so many years that I no longer recall who gave it to me.

CHERRY FLIP

3 tbsp. milk
                    1 carton Cool Whip (10 oz.)
                    1 c. powdered sugar
                    1 - 8 oz. package cream cheese
                    1 can cherry pie filling (OR any kind of pie filling)

graham cracker crumbs

Mix together milk, cream cheese, Cool Whip & powdered sugar in a bowl.

Then put graham cracker crust into bottom of pan & pour the Cool Whip mixture on top of it. Then put cherry pie filling on top of Cool Whip mixture and sprinkle some graham cracker crumbs on top and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. (It tastes better if refrigerated overnight.)

CRUST: Add 2 c. graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 stick margarine, melted & 3 tsp. sugar. Mix this all together & this goes in the bottom of the serving dish.

Use a 9" x 9" dish.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Italiancook.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I'll definitely be trying your Cherry Flip Italiancook!Thanks.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Thank you, Joan and Italian Cook, for your good wishes.

Italian Cook, I've noticed when I use the Old-fashioned (regular?) oats in place of the Quick oats, in a recipe designed for quick oats, my cookies come out dry, and the oats are chewy in all the wrong ways. Perhaps when quick oats are used in place of regular, the opposite happens, and the cookies come out too greasy. So, your plan to reduce the butter should help you get the results you want.

Italiancook
                        Participant

Yes, that makes sense, BakerAunt. Thanks for posting. The recipe clearly states to not use the quick oats, so that must be the reason. I just don't have pantry space to keep old-fashioned oats, quick oats, and steel-cut oats. So I opt for stocking the latter two.

Italiancook
                          Participant

Joan, although the recipe says you can use other pie fillings besides cherry, I have never made it that way. I use only cherries, because it looks so pretty and I prefer the taste of cherries over any other fruit. My motto is, "Why mess with success." The color in Cherry Flip pops on a buffet table.

S_Wirth
                            Participant

Belated Happy Anniversary wishes for you, BakerAunt and your husband!

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Thank you, S. Wirth for the good wishes.

On Tuesday, I baked the Sourdough-Cheese Cracker dough I made last week. My husband is thrilled to have crackers again. Next time, I'll do a double batch, but I wanted to let my sourdough starter recover a bit after the move.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

On Wednesday, I needed to address that we had been out of bread for two days. I baked the Clonmel Kitchen Double Crusty Bread. I replaced half the water with buttermilk and deleted the vinegar. I replaced the tablespoon of sugar with a tablespoon of honey. I used 2 tsp. regular yeast and 1 tsp. of the special gold yeast. I reduced the salt to 2 3/4 tsp. I substituted 2 cups of whole wheat flour for that much regular flour. (For regular flour, I used the King Arthur AP.) I also added 1/4 cup flax meal. I decided to try baking it as a single loaf in a Kaiser La Forme pan, which is slightly less than 12 inches long and is 4 1/4 inches wide across the top. I did slash the dough 30 minutes into the second rise, and I put it into bake a little less than ten minutes later. I spritzed it with water after putting it into the oven. I checked it after 40 minutes, and it registered 190F, so I baked it for another 5 minutes, at which point it "smelled" done. Other than a slight blowout along one side, which better slashing technique on top likely would have prevented, the loaf looks good. In shape, it resembles one of those standard long loaves from the grocery, but of course it is not as lightweight as those.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.