What are You Cooking the Week of August 27, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of August 27, 2017?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband is roasting a chicken for dinner tonight.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I'm doing some kind of chicken for supper, too, bone-in breasts, probably with mushrooms and some sweet pepper.

Update: Onions, peppers, celery, tomato sauce, mushrooms, chicken stock, a little white wine, some flour to thicken it. Spices were thyme, parsley, rubbed sage and some caraway. Delicious.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

My wife brought me another 50-60 pounds of tomatoes from the UNL test gardens, mostly the same ones she got a few weeks ago, the variety named Defiant. She also brought a bag of sweet peppers.

SO I'm going to make a batch of tomato relish tonight with 10 pounds of tomatoes and most of the peppers, then I'll run the rest through the tomato mill and make tomato sauce.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I never would have thought of adding caraway to chicken. I need to up my spice game when cooking.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Caraway, dill and celery seed are 3 herbs I've started using much more frequently with meat and poultry dishes. I use a lot of oregano, thyme, marjoram and basil, but those are ones everybody uses. Any beef dish that cooks in its own juices for a while, like a stew, usually gets some bay leaf.

My older son uses a lot of rosemary, I use it more sparingly. He likes to use juniper berries too, I'm pretty selective about when I use them.

Oh, I forgot one thing I put in the chicken, some powdered mustard.

Italiancook
              Participant

While I'm on this website, I'll mention that I'm making olive oil & garlic sauce for spaghetti for dinner tonight. I bought a loaf of ciabatta bread to go with it. Romaine salad will be the green part of the meal.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Wednesday, I made a chicken-vegetable soup, using turkey broth from the freezer and carrots, celery, yellow zucchini, canned tomatoes, green beans, red bell pepper, onion, a bit of garlic, baby Bella mushrooms, and whole grain elbow macaroni. We added some chopped chicken to each bowl of soup. I followed my minestrone recipe, but my husband draws the line at basil.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I have left over pork tenderloin for sandwiches and will make lima bean soup out of left over beans for tonight...cleaning out the fridge.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.