What are You Cooking the Week of August 26, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of August 26, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Although I'd planned to cook this coming evening, hot, muggy weather has settled back into northern Indiana, so we plan to have leftovers tonight, and perhaps I'll be back in the kitchen tomorrow.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I made a round roast today. Had a large salad with it (homegrown tomatoes).

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Light supper for us,eggs,rice and toast.92*F here.

BevM
          Participant

It was about the same temperature here as well as being muggy! Lefover pasta for me tonight. I've been busy cleaning, getting ready for a visit from my son next week.

BakerAunt
            Participant

It was 88F with heavy humidity here.

For dinner on Monday, I made Chicken and Brown Rice with Yogurt-Dill Sauce. It is my adaptation of Jane Brody’s “Chicken and Rice with Curried Yogurt” in Jane Brody’s Good Food Gourmet. My husband does not like curry, so I improvised this recipe back when we were dating to accommodate his more sensitive digestive system. I’ve not made it for a while, because it has more steps than just throwing the chicken pieces on a sheet pan. I also do not like to skin chicken--and truthfully, I prefer the flavor with the skin. However, as I need to reduce saturated fat in my diet and increase calcium, it was time to turn again to this recipe. In some ways it is an excellent company dish in that there is time to clean up between the two stages of preparation

I tinkered with my recipe a bit more. I only had nonfat Greek yogurt on hand, so I used a cup of that with ½ cup 1% milk rather than 1 ½ cups of regular yogurt. I reduced the dill from 4 tsp. to 3, reduced the garlic from 3 to 2 minced cloves, added ½ tsp. dried chives, ¼ tsp. dried onion, and some freshly ground pepper. It came out well. I might experiment a bit more with the spices.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made a BLT sandwich for lunch.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I baked a pork roast with dripping made a gravy to go over mashed potatoes and corn.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Dinner tonight was burgers on Wheat-Oat-Flax buns, and corn on the cob. It was 90* and 86% humidity. We have another 24 hours before the weather turns more typical.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I'm making tomato sauce from the excess tomatoes I can't give away.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Len, I picked tomatoes early this morning and have them in the sink ready to make sauce tomorrow. It will be my second batch this season.

I made a tomato tart for Book Club tonight. It smells wonderful! Tomato wedges, topped with sauteed mushrooms and onion stirred into a mixture of mayo, parm, mozz, and basil. I used a store made rolled out pie crust - first time, never heard of that before! It was a disaster - all shrunk down into the center of the pie plate when I blind-baked it. But I just put the filling over the whole mess, and I know it will taste fine.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

The tomato flood hasn't started here yet, maybe next week. My wife's appetite seems to be coming back, so we had Steak Diane for supper. (Her favorite meal, and one of mine as well.)

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I made a new recipe on Wednesday, Ensalada de Quinoa, that landed in my in-box a couple of weeks ago from Bob's Red Mill:
                            https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/ensalada-de-quinoa

I've wanted to try quinoa, although I've been wary because of all the hype, and it can be expensive. I was fortunate to find the Pereg brand at T.J. Maxx. I discovered the quinoa is easy to cook. The recipe specifies fresh or frozen corn and lima beans, but it did not say whether they should be cooked. I elected to use frozen and to microwave, then cool. I used feta cheese, as it is easily available, and I deleted the salt, since cheese has plenty. I also deleted the cilantro. I do not have white wine vinegar, so I used white vinegar. 1 Tbs. of the lime juice came from one of the limes from my tree, which had come off when my husband was re-arranging it; the other was my last store bought lime. I made the salad early in the day and refrigerated it.

I had it as my entrée, while my husband finished the last of the Dilled Chicken and Rice, although he tasted it and pronounced it good, which means I can use it as an entrée later in the week. We also had steamed green beans and sliced tomato.

It's a gluten-free recipe, and while I do not need to give up gluten, it's nice to have one in my repertoire, as one of my nieces cannot tolerate gluten. It's also vegetarian, although not vegan.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            Joan Simpson
                            Participant

I made BBQ from the left over pork roast and French fries.

navlys
                              Participant

Tonight is breakfast for dinner with cheesy omelet, bacon, homefries , orange slices and bagels with (in my case) lemon curd. Doesn't sound healthy does it? Well the orange slices will balance it out. Ha,ha.

chocomouse
                                Participant

And don't forget the fruit in the lemon curd!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.