What are you Cooking the week of April 8, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the week of April 8, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a thread for this week's cooking.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I'm not cooking, but my husband will be cooking pork ribs (in the frying pan, nothing fancy), macaroni and cheese (made with KAF Vermont cheese powder), and steamed green beans. I'll do the green beans. Other than that, I'll have my feet up....

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Enjoy your day BakerAunt!I had an easy supper too,hot dogs and home cut fries.Enjoying watching The Masters.

navlys
          Participant

Have to clean out freezer. I have some filets that I bought on sale (of course). They are grass fed. Hmnm...not as tasty as grain fed that’s for sure. So to use them up I’m slicing them in strips and stir frying with onions and peppers and serving with TJ’s cauliflower stir fry mix which is new to me. Six more meals in freezer and 8 days left.?

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight we had salmon patties,sour cream mashed potatoes and garden peas.

BevM
              Participant

Joan, your salmon patties caught my eye. Could you please post a brief description of ingredients used and how you cook them? My mother used to make them when I was a kid and I haven't tried them in years. Thanks. By the way, do you live in the South? Your menus remind me of my mother's cooking.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I went ahead and posted my recipe for salmon patties, but I'm hoping that Joan will also post hers.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

BevM the way I make Salmon Patties for just me & my husband I use the small flat can I think it's 6 oz.Drain most of the liquid off,leave a couple tablespoons of liquid in the bowl.Take all the backbone out and dark skin off.Mash all the salmon up,add 1 egg,salt,pepper,onion powder,a squirt of lemon juice and about 1/3 cup of flour(I don't measure) stir it all up well and make small patties and fry in hot oil for a few min on each side.I can get them all in my skillet at one time ,I get about 6 or 8 small patties.

Yep Bev we're about as deep south as you can get,we live in Valdosta,Ga.and we're about 18-20 miles from Florida line.I'm just an old southern girl as my Granddaddy would say "gal".

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Today we had Fried cubed pork,rice and gravy and ford hook butter beans cooked with a small piece of hog jowl.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

Today I made a burger and had it one of my burger buns. Had it broccoli and baked beans from a jar.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Today I used up the rest of that sirloin tip roast I cooked last week. I cut it into pieces, trimming out the gristle and fat. I sautéed sliced mushrooms and orange bell pepper in grapeseed oil, then added the cut up meat and leftover gravy. I added the rest of a package of frozen broccoli from the refrigerator, then sprinkled on some Hungarian Sweet Paprika. I combined the sauce with cooked buckwheat noodles, then added sliced green onion.

BevM
                          Participant

Thanks to Joan and Bakeraunt for posting their recipes for salmon patties. Bakeraunt's recipe sounds delicious, but Joan's is probably closer to what my mother used to make. She rarely used a recipe.
                            Joan, I'm also in the deep South in Mobile, Alabama. Not looking forward to the coming hurricane season.

navlys
                            Participant

Having to empty freezer we had folks over for hors d’ouvres. Had left over smoked sausage. I sliced it and placed it in a pan with pickle juice and a little wine vinegar. Very tasty.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I love all the ingenious ways that people use leftovers!

Tonight I made boneless chicken breast (halved) and coated in mayonnaise, panko, onion powder, garlic powder, and chives. It should have had freshly grated parmesan, but I was distracted and forgot it. The chicken still tasted good and cooked well, but I prefer it with the added Parmesan. We had a rice blend cooked in broth, and steamed green beans as side dishes.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Tonight I boiled a chicken breast in chicken stock added rice after it was done and very tender and we had green beans also.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.