What are You Cooking the Week of April 29, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of April 29, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I got a good deal at T.J. Maxx (before we moved here) on some bags of Pereg "soup mix," which means simply that it's a mixture of all kinds of beans and some barley. I soaked it overnight, then rinsed and cooked the beans this morning with some chopped onion sautéed in bacon grease. After the beans were soft, I added sliced carrots, some Penzey's dried garlic (I'm out of fresh), a small can of tomatoes, some leftover mixed rice, and 3 tsp. of Penzey's Ozark seasoning. I'll have some for lunches this week, but I will also freeze some servings for later.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight we had left over pork roast, I made BBQ sandwiches and home fries.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Tonight I made the KAF Ultra-Thin Crust Pizza, with each of us topping our pizza as desired. For me, that means tomato paste (the kind that comes in a tube), cooked ground turkey, garlic powder, Penzey's Tuscan Sunset, fennel seed, sliced mushrooms, chopped red bell pepper, halved black olives, sliced green onion, mozzarella, and Parmesan. My husband omits the spices, the black olives, and the Parmesan.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
          RiversideLen
          Participant

Tonight I cooked the last major item that was in the bottom of my freezer, a top round roast. I salted and peppered it yesterday. Roasted it on convection mode at 225 degrees until it reached an internal temp of 135. It rose to 142 while resting. It came out perfect. Had it with noodles and asparagus.

round-roast

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            cwcdesign
            Participant

Yesterday I made our favorite chicken salad with grapes and celery. I substituted half the mayo with whole milk Greek yogurt - my current favorite is Fage. We really like it a lot better this way.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we had fried chicken,turnips out of the freezer,macaroni and cheese and corn bread.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had macaroni and cheese for supper.

navlys
                  Participant

Baker Aunt, you're a Penzey's fan. Does it drive you crazy to see all the "free' offers they have on Facebook or in your email? Every time I think I have all that I need (or have room for) they come up with a new offer and I have to see how I can justify ordering $20 or $30 worth of spices just to get the free or heavily discounted offer. I have to stop buying things just because they are on sale. Help!!!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Navyls--I usually hold off ordering from Penzey's until I have enough to equal $20, then I wait for a free shipping with $20 order. I keep a running list of what I need to order, am running low on, or want to try, then I wait for the free shipping--and sometimes a specialty offer.

When I buy cinnamon or rosemary, I order a lot, and empty it into glass jars. I go through those two spices faster than any others. I like the beef base as well and use a jar of it a year. The Mural seasoning is one that I use pretty quickly. I try to stay away from other blends, simply because I'd only be able to get it from Penzey's. However, I use the Tuscan Sunset because I'm sprinkling it on pizza before baking it; if I were making sauce, I'd add the individual spices. I did get hooked on that blend, as well as on the Mural seasoning and the Adobo seasoning when they came as free samples or in a gift box. Some blends, I use to use them up (Ozark or Southwest) but will probably never order.

My husband does not do will with intense spices, so that likely keeps me from over ordering, even with a great deal dangling in front of me.

The spices seem to last pretty well, as long as they are sealed and kept in a cool dark place.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Tonight I'm making my roasted Rosemary Maple Glazed Chicken and Sweet Potatoes. We will have steamed green beans as a side dish.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Cold plates here tonight.I made Tuna salad,pear salad,beets,deviled eggs,sliced tomatoes and crackers,jello is made for later on with cottage cheese.That'll be lunch tomorrow too!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Warm weather has finally arrived in Nebraska, but since most lunch meats have way too much salt in them, I'm still working on a summertime menu plan.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Tonight we had dry lima beans cooked with hog jowl,potato salad,corn bread and smoked sausage.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Burgers on the outdoor grill tonight.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Mike I love anything on the grill.
                                  Tonight we had cubed pork,rice and tomato gravy and stewed squash with lots of onions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.