What are you cooking the week of April 22, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of April 22, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Not an exciting cooking week for me last week, either. Too early to say how this week will go, but here's a place to talk about it.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Only cooking going on here today was toast and oatmeal for breakfast.Made a Banana pudding from scratch with meringue piled high.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Beef stroganoff for supper tonight here. Used too much wine in the sauce, though.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Sunday dinner was Maple-Glazed Pork Roast, a favorite recipe of mine from Cook's Illustrated (March/April 2003). I make it without the spices. Usually I make this recipe for Easter every year, but I could not find a pork tenderloin at the grocery that week, only the overpriced, small, seasoned Hormel ones. Last week, the store finally had what I wanted, so the "Easter" dinner happened today. I made mashed potatoes to go with it, and we also had peas.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 12 months ago by BakerAunt.
            navlys
            Participant

I decided to mix things up so I found an old gourmet recipe that I had saved for chicken satay. The recipe called for “white vinegar so I used regular distilled white vinegar . When I tasted the peanut sauce it was too vinegary so I added more peanut butter. Well while stirring (over heat)I noticed the sauce separating and I tried to remove some of the oil. Not my best moment or meal.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

We all have days like that Navlys.

When I was separating 3 eggs yesterday for the banana pudding one of the yolks dripped in the egg whites.So knowing they surely won't beat up for meringue I put all them in the fridge and started over with the eggs.All was well,that's why I baked cinnamon rolls today ,used them 3 eggs,recipe calls for two but three was fine.

Today we had the rest of the smoked chicken to reheat I put it in a steamer boiler and heated it on low,it was almost as good as it was Saturday,we had shoe peg corn and rest of baked beans.Now time for coffee and a cinnamon roll.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 12 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I always break eggs into a custard cup, whether I'm separating them or not. That way if there's a bad egg or if I break the yolk, I haven't ruined the batch. The only thing I have to remember to do is to transfer the yolk and the white to the proper containers, and I've been known to mess THAT up! 🙂

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I also separate my eggs one at a time.

Tonight's dinner will be leftover salmon patties on freshly baked Wheat-Oat Flax Buns, with all the trimmings, and steamed broccoli on the side.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I'm making pizza tonight. Topping will be ground chicken. Homemade sauce.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but a while back I bought some KAF Italian style flour. I've been using that in my pizza dough (along with some semolina, white whole wheat and a touch of rye) and that has really made the dough easy to handle. Virtually no snap back when stretching or rolling it out.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Tonight we had cube steak,green butter beans,rice and gravy and carrot and raisin salad.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

It's been a long time since I had carrot and raisin salad. If Joan lived nearby, I'd be tempted to "drop in" for leftovers.

Riverside Len--Thanks for letting us know about the KAF Italian flour. I find that durum wheat flour also helps control snapback.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 12 months ago by BakerAunt.
                          Joan Simpson
                          Participant

BakerAunt you'd be welcome anytime!

navlys
                            Participant

I found some leftover (3 mos.) frozen meatballs, an Italian sausage and a block of good parmesan cheese. So I sautéed onions and peppers with a little oil and added some vodka and a jar of marinara sauce. I then threw in the meatballs and sausage with some Italian spices and let it simmer a while. At the end I added a Tbls. of half & half and served with shredded parmesan. Lots of kudos came my way.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Sounds good Navlys.

Tonight we had the Mexican casserole and bread and butter.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Joan, I'd love to know what you put in your Mexican casserole! It sounds like something we would eat.

I made mango gelato today, and it is really tasty. It's a KAF recipe, and also uses lime juice. I used frozen mango chunks, since I don't trust myself selecting really ripe sweet mangoes. I add about half a bottle of brandy, the little "airplane" size bottle to help prevent it from freezing too hard, but it still hard as a rock!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.