What are you cooking the week of April 15, 2018

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of April 15, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making a batch of vegetable beef soup from the beef stock I made yesterday. (I got about 10 quarts from the first wetting and 6 quarts from the 2nd wetting.)

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had a rain storm today,lost electricity for a couple hours but all's well now.We had breakfast for supper...Sausage,eggs,grits and toast.The sourdough I baked yesterday was good.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Meatballs and spaghetti sauce.

cwcdesign
          Participant

I made a simple Greek Salad I found on delish.com last summer. And, then I heated some chicken sausage on the stove.
            We had driving rains all afternoon so it was nice to stay inside. I think it was the same storm that caused Joan to lose power, but thankfully we didn’t. And then the temperature dropped overnight to 50! That’s because I took my winter quilt off the bed yesterday ? but it will be back up to mid 60s today.

BakerAunt
            Participant

With temperatures this morning below freezing, and only slightly higher now, my husband fired up the wood stove. I seized the opportunity and am making minestrone on top of it. I use my own turkey/chicken stock. My basic recipe is from Betty Crocker's International Cookbook. I've replaced the basil with Penzey's Tuscan Sunset (salt-free) and added a yellow bell pepper. I plan to omit the macaroni. It will make a nice warm lunch on a cold day of mixed snow and rain.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by BakerAunt.
              chocomouse
              Participant

We have about 2 inches of mixed freezing rain, sleet, and snow that's been collecting on the ground for 2 days now. Since great minds think alike, I also made soup today. I tried a new recipe, Ham and Potato Corn Chowder, from Kevin's Closet Cooking. I felt I was in a rut always making split pea soup whenever I had a ham bone, and I really don't care for split pea. I was doubtful about using the broth from cooking the bone and mixing it with milk, and was also afraid the garlic and thyme might not be enough seasoning for this. But after it sat for an hour for the flavors to develop, it's really good and I would make it again.

navlys
                Participant

Last meal I had to prepare (for at least 4days). Those burgers ? I made up ahead we’re the stars in this last supper. The freezer is officially empty. Now I can go food shopping again in a week is week or so. Yay!

navlys
                  Participant

Last meal I had to prepare (for at least 4days). Those burgers ? I made up ahead we’re the stars in this last supper. The freezer is officially empty. Now I can go food shopping again in a week is week or so. Yay!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Have a safe trip home Navlys!

navlys
                      Participant

Thanks BA. Loved Guppy’s!

chocomouse
                        Participant

I didn't cook tonight! My husband made omelets and I just toasted the English muffins!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Tuesday night, I boiled up the last of the package of lemon pepper linguini and made a sauce with mushrooms sautéed in grapeseed oil, along with broccoli florets and some of the leftover turkey, then added the rest of the not overly thick gravy that I made last Saturday. The combination worked well, and there is enough for a second meal.

I only have one package of specialty pasta left. I need a trip to Tuesday Morning next time we are somewhere close to one so that I can stock up on that and some other food items.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by BakerAunt.
                            Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Navlys hope you enjoy your time away from home!

Last night we had dry lima beans cooked with hog jowl,rice and fried chicken.Tonight I made lima bean soup with the left over beans and rice,just had to cook some onion,celery,carrots and a half can tom tomatoes in some chicken stock, added rest in and we had soup.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Tonight we had country style ribs cooked on top of stove with onions and water then when they're done I pour BBQ over them and let them simmer till tender,mashed potatoes with the BBQ gravy over them and fried okra.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

I've been cooking out of the freezer for a while now. Wanting to use up everything that's been in there a while. I found a 16 month old pork rib roast at the bottom. So I made pork roast tonight. Seasoned it with a little salt and a liberal amount of paprika. Still delicious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.