What are you cooking the week of April 1, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of April 1, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Happy Easter, everybody. I'm making deviled eggs, it just isn't Easter without them.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Happy Easter to everyone and I don't know what I'm cooking today.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Last night I hardboiled four eggs. My husband dyed three of them (fourth one has a crack). An egg salad sandwich is on my menu for lunch.

My husband will roast a turkey breast. I usually do a maple-glazed pork loin, but the local store only had very small ones for a rather high price. I will make mashed potatoes and gravy to go with the turkey. We will have to cook up some frozen peas, as the fresh green beans in the grocery looked as if they should have been cooked a couple of days ago.

S_Wirth
          Participant

Happy Easter to all here who celebrate!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I think we'll have steak for supper here, I did buy some turkey tenders (the store actually had the ones that haven't been saturated with a salty broth, so they're about 90mg of sodium per serving, compared to as high as 600mg for some of the turkey breasts or whole turkeys.) I have been roasting those for lunch sandwiches.

Yesterday they were calling for 2-3 inches of snow, possibly up to 5 inches, but it didn't really start snowing until about 6AM and is supposed to taper down around noon, so I'm guessing it'll be more like an inch, maybe two.

S_Wirth
              Participant

We are to get snow and freezing rain tonight and tomorrow. Last M-Th, we got over 4 1/4 inches of rain, the week before that we got 2 inches of rain, the first or 2nd of March we got 5 inches of rain one day and yet another 1 inch. And we had some small rain totals in addition to all of that.

We have spent so many days in the 30s when we should have been 60. Lately, the experts predicted 60+ and we got 40.

Every 7-day forecast shows rain every day. Has been like that for weeks. They said we'll be cold and wet for the first 2 weeks of April.

Farmers will be planting late for certain.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tuna salad sandwiches.

navlys
                  Participant

I bought cube steaks on sale. I buy everything "on sale" and then ask myself what I'm going to do with the items. Any ideas?

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I never buy 'tenderized' meats, because they're usually made from a cut or grade that they couldn't sell without the tenderizing process, and I think the tenderizing process shortens the shelf life of the meat.

Chicken fried steak is always a possibility, or you can cut them up into smaller pieces and use them for stews, ragouts, stroganoff, etc.

If I'm going to make something that requires pounding the meat flat, like Steak Diane, I want a good piece of meat to start with.

I used to buy these frozen tenderized veal cutlets, because it was the only veal available locally, but they would nearly fall apart when cutting them up for something like Veal Zurich (veal in a white wine cream sauce). Fortunately, I can get good veal at the Fareway Meat Market that opened last fall.

I tend to buy 'family pack' sized cuts and trim them down. I'd buy primal or sub-primal cuts but they're so big you have to freeze most of the meat after cutting it. Recently I've been buying the 'thick cut' sirloin. I can get 2-3 days worth of meals from a 1.5 to 1.75 pound steak, plus a bag of trim for my next batch of stock.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Tonight we had chicken tenders that I cut from a large breast,fresh turnip greens and turnip roots cooked in smoked ham,potato salad with corn bread.

S_Wirth
                        Participant

Joan...I always like to read of your cooked turnips. We love them. Mrs Cindy sent me a huge box of turnips a few years ago. She had a neighbor with a huge turnip patch so she sent me the box of them to enjoy.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

S_Wirth we love our greens too!I like to have a bowl of the greens and pot liquor with cut up raw onions and corn bread crumbled in them,man I can make a meal off that alone with a good shot of vinegar pepper sauce on top.

navlys
                            Participant

I ended up flouring the steaks (cube) and briefly sauteeing in oil with onions. I threw the whole pan contents with celery and beef bouillon and spices into crockpot. It cooked on low for 5 hours. It was tasty and tender. My husband said it tasted like Salisbury steak.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I made a sirloin tip roast (see separate cooking thread) for dinner and baked some potatoes next to the roasting pan. We had a nice salad as well; the grocery store had some pretty good tomatoes on the vine.

This afternoon I made turkey stock on the wood stove with the bones from the turkey breast we had for Easter. With cold weather anticipated near the weekend, soup will be good.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by BakerAunt.
                                chocomouse
                                Participant

We had sausages and buttermilk pancakes with blueberry sauce and fresh maple syrup.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.