What are You Cooking the Week of May 20, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of May 20, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For lunch, I'm making New England Clam Chowder, a recipe from Betty Crocker's Cookbook (1978), p. 83. I put my own spin on it by cooking the onion in bacon grease (I keep drippings in the refrigerator for these rare uses), using more potato, and using 1% milk rather than cream. I also follow my college roommate's innovation and add 1/2 tsp. celery seed before I stir in the milk. Of course, I delete the salt, as I'm sure the canned clams have plenty.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Today I made a small pot of chili,it's cool and rainy outside so it hit the spot!

BakerAunt I keep my bacon grease too,free seasoning!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Joan Simpson.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Monday night dinner was roasted, cut-up potatoes and roasted panko-parmesan coated boneless chicken breasts, with peas as a side dish.

RiversideLen
          Participant

Sunday was a pork rib roast of the grill. Leftovers tonight.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tonight we had smoked sausage,rice,black eyed peas and corn bread.

chocomouse
              Participant

Dinner last night was grilled salmon, potato chunks sprinkled with Penzy's Sandwich Sprinkles and roasted on the grill, and fresh asparagus from the garden. Rain is forecast for this afternoon and tonight, so I'm planning on liver, sauteed onions, pan-fries, and cole slaw.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Tonight I'm making my salmon and couscous recipe but using Penzey's mural seasoning instead of dill. I'm only doing one piece of salmon; my husband will have the rest of the leftover hamburger stroganoff and rice.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We're sort of getting into a summer schedule, last night we had tacos, tonight we're having BLTs. Just have to be careful about the sodium levels. That probably means no tomato-and-salami sandwiches during tomato season and limits on things like hot dogs, brats and burgers. (The condiments add in way too much sodium.)

RiversideLen
                    Participant

Tonight I made Chicken-Roni (ground chicken with pasta sauce).

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Tonight I made cubed pork,broccoli and cheese and baked potato,made a Blueberry Yum Yum dessert.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Lunch on Wednesday was an improvised frittata. I used one egg, some leftover mixed rice, chopped onion, the last of the grated mozzarella, some torn spinach leaves, and ¼ tsp. of Penzey’s “Forward,” a salt-free seasoning. I poured it into a small, heated frying pan in which I had melted some canola-butter spread, and pressed it down flat. When the time came to flip it over, I didn’t quite achieve the perfect round, so it was bent on one side. However, it still tasted delicious!

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight we had chicken-n-rice and corn.

skeptic7
                            Participant

I did chicken drumsticks in a slow cooker with barbeque sauce on Monday night. I had this on high for awhile and then turned to low. I saw the legs were cooked at about Midnight and decided to turn the crock pot off, but waked up the next morning to find the legs were still cooking away. I am pulling the meat off the bones for sandwiches for lunch, and warming up the chicken with rice and vegetables for supper. The meet is over cooked but still very tasty. The meat off one drumstick is enough for one sandwich.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Dinner last night was grilled boneless pork chops with a maple-bacon rub, asparagus risotto, and green salad. This morning I prepared salads for tonight: seafood, potato, and cole slaw.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Having made hamburger and hot dog buns this afternoon, of course for supper we had tacos.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.