What are You Baking the Week of September 3, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of September 3, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I might bake later this evening, but I'll go ahead and start the thread for those bakers already in the kitchen.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I tried the KAF recipe for Deli Rye Rolls, and highly recommend it - excellent! I followed the recipe exactly except did not use caramel color, and used Artisan Bread Topping instead of Everything Bread and Bagels seeds on top.

Most of the seeds fell off, as usual, I think because I spritzed the tops with water before dipping in seeds. I should have used a beaten egg white, or the spray stuff for holding on the seeds. Does anyone have a preference? What works best for you?

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I prefer egg white, the spray stuff imparts a taste. I've also used milk and milk with just a bit of honey in it. I've heard of doing it with a light spray of cooking oil, but haven't tried that.

Followup: I tried the cooking oil method, it doesn't work! See Seeds Post

To get seeds to stick with just water, you need to heavily spray the loaves with water, sprinkle on the seeds, spray it again, then let it sit for at least 5 minutes.

Another way to do it is to put the seeds on the parchment or couche and put the loaves on upside down during final proof, so the seeds get well-attached to the dough as it rises, then flip the loaves over for baking. A flip board makes this easier.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I just took an apple pie out of the oven, I'm having that instead of birthday cake today.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I baked a new recipe, "Chocolate Chip Cookies with Espresso and Cinnamon," which appeared in Bon Appetit (August 2002), p. 87. They are an unusual, scrumptious cookie. Even my husband who does not care for coffee loves them. They are good with milk and should be excellent with coffee. I made only two changes: I substituted in 1/2 cup of white whole wheat flour, and I used all semisweet chocolate chips. The original recipe used half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate chips, but I had none of the latter.

I may have to post this recipe.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The apple pie was excellent, if you see Apollo apples, I can report that they're good pie apples. We did up the amount of lemon juice in the recipe, they're not as tart as many pie apples are, so it needed a little boost.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Mike you said you were having apple pie instead of birthday cake ,so is it your birthday?If so Happy Birthday.Just read where you said it's your Birthday and wishing you all the best!Sure like the edit button.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                  chocomouse
                  Participant

Mike, thanks for your suggestions for getting seeds to stick on rolls/bread. I did spritz the rolls with water, dip the tops in seeds, and spritz again, and let rise. I've done that before, and it doesn't work, but thought I'd try again since KAF suggested it. I'm going to try the spritz with cooking oil next time. And then if that doesn't work, I'll try dipping the tops in water, then seeds, and placing the rolls upside down on the parchment to rise.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Chocomouse: When Cass gave me his Challah bread recipe, he included this note:

"If you are going to seed the crust, approximately 3-5 minutes befoure you are to remove the bread, apply another application of egg wash, then turn off oven. Remove the bread after 3 minutes. This is done so the seeds stick. Otherwise, they will fall off very easily."

I do not seed bread because small seeds are a problem for my husband, so I did not try this. I assume that the seeds are on at the start of the bake, after an egg wash has been applied, so this would be an additional one.

If I got this wrong, then perhaps Cass will pop in and clarify for us.

Italiancook
                      Participant

I don't seed bread. I can't stand the mess of cutting it and having seeds fly everywhere. I don't have any seeds now, but will try Cass's method sometime in the future. Thanks for sharing, BakerAunt and Cass.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Italiancook.
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

You have to give the water method time to let the seeds soak up water and anneal themselves to the dough, If I remember to do it, I will put the seeds on about half way through final proof.

Egg seems to work best at sticking seeds down, although the upside-down final proof method generally works fairly well for me. A bunch of seeds usually fall off as you flip the loaves over, so it's a bit wasteful of seeds before the loaves even go in the oven.

Been a while since I toured an industrial-scale commercial bakery, but I think they use a spray to hold the seeds on, applying them as the loaves come out of the oven.

I lived in Chicago for about 10 years and grew up in NW Illinois, so a hot dog bun just isn't right if it doesn't have poppy seeds on it. But here in Nebraska the only seeded hot dog and burger buns have sesame seeds on them.

I prefer Challah without seeds on it.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Baker Aunt, thanks for sharing the info from Cass. I will try it also. So far, I do believe the egg wash works best, but it is such a gloppy mess. Mike, we lived in Highland Park in the 80s, and I ate the poppy seed buns. Here in New England I only see plain hot dog buns, although hamburger buns often have sesame seeds. I don't put any seeds on my hot dog or hamburger buns, just on dinner buns.

KIDPIZZA
                            Participant

CHOCOMOUSE
                              Good afternoon to you. After I read your post about having problems with bread seeds sticking after cooling the bread, I was getting ready to post to you what member Bakeraunt posted to you. She saved me the trouble. YES!!!... it works.I still have a few bags of seeds in my pantry from when I used to bake yeasted dinner rolls. Just remember Chocomouse in the final application just "PAT it on with your very soft pastry brush so as not disturb the seeds. I do not bake much more than cheesecakes & shortbread cookies & maybe carrot cake, blueberry & bran muffins these days. I would be happy to mail them to you at my expense. Just send your address to me via ~E~Mail.

Enjoy the day.

~KIDPIZZA.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Tuesday evening, I baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread (recipe on this site, although I fiddle around with the percentage of whole wheat flour and buttermilk). It's my husband's favorite bread, but we discovered that it does not last well in warm weather with high humidity, so I've been baking the Vienna bread. Today, cool weather rolled in, so it is time to bake it again. I'll freeze one loaf.

Side Note: I'm trying to train my husband not to talk to me when I'm measuring ingredients. Tonight, I realized that I might have left out a cup of bread flour, and indeed as I was mixing, I found that I had. At least this was a mistake that I could fix easily. I've never been a fan of the "open concept" kitchen, but that is what I have and what I will have, so the only alternative is to train him to let me focus on my measurements.

chocomouse
                                Participant

KIDPIZZA It's great to hear from you again and I'm so glad you are still baking! You've also reminded me that I have not made a cheesecake for ages. I am going to try the double egg wash on my next batch of seeded rolls. That might be a couple of weeks due to a vacation coming up, but I will let you know how well the seeds stick. Thank you for your kind offer to send me your excess seeds, but I do have plenty of seeds in my pantry and my freezer. Maybe you have a baking friend in your neighborhood who could use them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.