What are You Baking the Week of September 24, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of September 24, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For Sunday breakfast, I baked a new recipe: "Apricot Sour Cream Scones," from The River Street Inn, in Sun Valley, as featured in Bon Appetit (November 1997), p. 199. I did not have dried apricots, so I substituted mixed dried fruit. I substituted in 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (total flour is 2 cups). I made an 8-inch rather than a 9-inch round to cut into 8 wedges. Instead of using the egg wash and a light sprinkle of brown sugar, I spread a light bit of sour cream on each and sprinkled with sugar in the raw. The texture is light, and I love that sour cream taste. I'd never used it in scones before.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Sunday evening, I mixed up the dough for a double recipe of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I'll bake them later in the week.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I made honey wheat bread today, to go with the beef soup I made a couple of days ago on a cool September evening.

Italiancook
          Participant

Back in the day, Sara Moulton showed making a dessert biscuit on her show. In those days, it was necessary to use snail mail to obtain a recipe. I made those today for strawberry shortcake. Used mascarpone as the dairy topping. I just checked Sara's website and can't find a recipe for these online. What I find interesting about the recipe is that it uses cream as the fat.

Mike, making these gave my marble pastry slab it's first test. It's heavy to move, but it was doable. The online reviews said it requires less flour, and that was my experience. This recipe is patted and not rolled, so I don't yet know how the marble will work with a wooden rolling pin. Thanks, Mike, for sending me in the direction of marble. It's much easier to clean after using than my wooden board.

Italiancook
            Participant

I tried a different route to find Sara Moulton's shortcake recipe. Link below.

NOTE: The recipe for the shortcake in this link is exactly like the one from way-back-when, EXCEPT: The recipe I have calls for 1-1/4 cups cream. In the recipe below, it calls for 1-1/2 cups cream. I think the extra 1/4 cup would make it too moist.

http://www.nhregister.com/lifestyle/article/Strawberry-Shortcake-courtesy-of-Sara-Moulton-s-11352409.php

I've never fixed strawberries the way this recipe suggest, so I have no idea how it is.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Baked a batch of Cinnamon rolls adding in the left over mashed potatoes sure makes them tender and moist.I pulled out my Sourdough starter stirred all the hooch back in and fed it.It has been 4 or 5 months since I made any sourdough.I feed it every once in awhile.I'll feed it about 4 times before it's ready.I made this starter in 2011 so it's 6 years old.When I pulled it from fridge the starter in bottom looked like play dough.It's working away,little bubbles everywhere.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I've seen lots of recipes for biscuits that used cream as the fat. (In fact, I think the classic 'southern' biscuit is made with cream, because it was cheap back then.)

I made the Clonmel Double Crusty bread shaped as Vienna bread today.

My wife has asked me to make a batch of GF cinnamon rolls for a co-worker who is GF, so I'm busy comparing recipes this evening. I made a batch of them some years back, but I'm not sure what recipe I used, and there have been a lot more GF recipes posted since then, and several companies, including KAF and Bobs, have come out with GF flours since then, too. I've used 2 or 3 of them, they're all fairly similar in performance.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

The Chocolate-Chip Toffee Scone recipe that I posted last month uses no butter, only cream. These recipes do seem to be in the minority for biscuits and scones.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Italian cook I fix strawberries like this but I don't put in orange zest.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Wednesday, I tried a new recipe: "Brickle Bars," from Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book (1998), p. 219. It is a variation on their "Easy Fudge Brownies," except that 3/4 cup almond brickle pieces and 1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips are sprinkled on top before baking. I'd describe it as a fudgy brownie with a candy coating on top. I lined the pan with parchment paper, so that I could remove them for cutting. I will bake this recipe again.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I made GF cinnamon rolls today, the KAF recipe (but without the butter flavoring), and I used a simple milk and powdered sugar icing. They didn't rise as much as I had hoped, but that's often the case with GF baking.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I baked 2 loaves of sourdough bread yesterday ,first in a long while.A recipe I got from all.recipes.com.Sourdough 1 by Becky Richardson.I make the dough up one night and let rise overnight,knead the next morning then let rise and bake.It's always been a good one for me and I have made it with half wheat flour before.It makes 2- 8x4 inch pan.It was so good this morning toasted with jam.

aaronatthedoublef
                            Participant

I made a double batch of brownies. My recipe uses all unsweetened chocolate because that is how my mom used to make them. But the batter usually is a little gritty with sugar so I may switch to 3/4 unsweetened and 1/4 semi or bitter sweet and back on the sugar. The lecithin in the semi/bitter sweet might change the feel too.

I changed my pizza dough recipe and added a half cup of chickpea flour to increase the protein in my pizza. My pizza is one of the few things my daughter will eat besides pasta so I am trying to get some more protein in her. The chickpea flour is gluten free so in addition to cake and white whole wheat flours I added some bread flour. It was still a soft, unstretchy dough.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

You might try superfine baker's granulated sugar to combat the grittiness, you can make it yourself in a food processor, but I usually keep a container of it on hand.

Our younger son was a pretty fussy eater, until he went to study in Germany for 7 1/2 months. When he came back, he'd eat just about anything we made and was much more willing to eat spicy foods (not that we do a lot of them, but he'd object to sweet peppers in vegetable soup.)

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

Good idea. I had some caster sugar in the cabinet and didn't think about using it. It wasn't enough anyway. I use it for adding to cold drinks. I'll add it to my list for Walmart. Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.