What are you baking the week of September 16, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of September 16, 2018?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making Vienna Bread today (the Clonmel Kitchens Double Crusty Bread recipe, using butter instead of oil.)

Our SubZero freezer died on Thursday, and we didn't figure that out until most of the food in it had gone bad. Can't get a repairman out to even look at it until Wednesday, but hopefully parts are still available. The newer SubZero units are about 10 inches taller than the 501 models that we bought 22 years ago, we'd have to do some remodeling in the kitchen to get them to fit and would lose the cabinet space above them.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I'm sorry to hear about the freezer failure, Mike. Losing all the food makes it that much worse.

The hardest part of my low saturated fat diet is having to avoid the cookies and pastries that rely so heavily on butter. While a little butter can be ok, a lot of my recipes call for significantly more, and even a modest serving can add up when attempting to stay at 11 g or less of saturated fat per day, especially when I've already assigned 3 grams of that to dairy, and I still need to add in meat and/ or eggs--and the Land o' Lakes light butter-canola spread I plan to have on my sweet corn tonight. I spent yesterday afternoon exploring some recipes at My Nebraska Kitchen, and I printed some promising ones.

On Sunday afternoon, I baked Lemon-Anise Biscotti, which was submitted to the Baking Circle on April 8, 2004 by Bettina (aka Laura Four Paws). She had it from a Cooks Illustrated email that invited subscribers to send it to friends--and we were all friends on that site. Assuming an egg is 2 grams of saturated fat (I’ve also seen it listed as 1.5g), these biscotti have only 4 grams of saturated fat. When cut into slices, that will be quite acceptable, and eggs have valuable nutrients as well.

The recipe is missing one step, as it does not say when to add the lemon zest, anise seed, and vanilla. I whisked them in after first whisking together the eggs and sugar, before sifting in the flour mixture over the egg mixture and incorporated it with my large dough whisk. It is a very sticky dough. I weighed it on saran on my scale. (I need to weigh my bowls so I can divide dough in them on the scale.) Instead of floured hands, I used slightly damp hands and a metal knife to spread and shape the two rolls on the parchment-lined cookie sheet. (I’m not sure why the recipe says an oiled cookie sheet covered with parchment. It must be a mistake.)

After the loaves had cooled, I found that they stuck to the parchment, and I could not get a spatula under them, but I pulled up the long side of the parchment next to each loaf, so that I turned it over, and then the parchment was easily peeled away. I cut mine straight rather than on the diagonal so that the pieces would be about the same size. That actually gave me 5 dozen. For the second bake, I stood them on their sides, but still baked for the stated 15 minutes. (I'm not fond of turning biscotti.)

The flavor of the crumbs from when I cut them is great, and I'll try one after they cool, but this recipe is certainly a keeper. I look forward to having them with tea and coffee.

It's not in the recipe section, but in the saved threads:

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

I was back in the kitchen Monday afternoon to try a pumpkin bread recipe I found at Nebraska Kitchen, which was submitted to the Baking Circle by Lemonpoppy on March 17, 2004. She got it from a friend, but she notes that it came from Bon Appetit (November 1995), submitted by Vera Bertagna of West Frankfort, Illinois. It also had been was on epicurious.com and there were reviews with suggestions.

My favorite pumpkin bread calls for 2/3 cup butter (makes two 9x5 or six 3x7), so I needed one with less saturated fat. Of course, when I decided to give the one posted by Lemonpoppy a try, like my always experimenting friend, Wonky, I made changes. Lemonpoppy had cut the sugar from 3 to 2 cups. After looking at my former recipe, I cut it to 1 3/4 cup. That is plenty sweet. I followed her suggestion to use half oil and half buttermilk. She said that a combination of flours could be used for the 3 cups, as long as one included enough wheat flour for the rise. I used 1 ½ cups AP flour, 1 cup barley flour, and ¾ cup quick oats. I had started with ½ cup, but the pumpkin I thawed was more watery than usual, so I threw in that additional ¼ cup after the batter was mixed. I also added ¼ cup flax meal and 1/3 cup powdered milk to increase nutritional value. For the spices, I used 2 tsp. cinnamon, ½ tsp. nutmeg, ¼ tsp. ginger, and ¼ tsp. cloves. I did not add nuts, fruit, or chips, as my husband and I are pumpkin bread purists. I baked in six 3x6 loaf pans (used The Grease to coat them) for 30 minutes, which was perfect. We ate one tonight, and while it will never have the texture of a butter-based quick bread, it still had great texture and taste. I froze three of them for later.

BakerAunt
          Participant

A note on the Lemon-Anise Biscotti: These are quite sweet, so I'm having them with tea without sugar. I mentioned to my husband perhaps reducing the sugar when I bake them again. He said that it is needed to offset the anise--a flavor he does not really like--although I notice that he is eating the biscotti (and keeps leaving the lid part-way open). The lemon flavor does not seem to come through; perhaps it supports the flavor profile in another way.

skeptic7
            Participant

BakerAunt, have you read the cookbook "Have your Cake and Eat it" by Susan G. Purdy. Its a whole cook book of low fat recipes many of them are tasty. Its an interesting read and I love the recipes. One point is that her "low fat" recipe are often smaller in size than a full fat recipe. The low fat cheese cake throws out the crust as well as using low fat ingredients so its a smaller cake. The chocolate buttermilk cake is great as are the biscotti recipes.
              Would you like a low fat pumpkin biscotti recipe?

I made crockpot whole wheat bread as mentioned on another thread. A little undercooked but I will try again as the concept works. Tastes good with marmalade for breakfast.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Sorry about your freezer, Mike. It's really frustrating when refrigeration isn't working. Several years ago I bought a La Crosse digital thermometer, it consists of sending units (it comes with one but you can add up to 3) and a receiving unit (pictured). I have one sending unit in my fridge and one in my chest freezer. This way I can tell at a glance if my refridgeration is working correctly. A couple of years ago I was able to catch a problem with my fridge early on and repair it before it caused a real problem.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by RiversideLen.
                • This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by RiversideLen.
                Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                BakerAunt
                Participant

Skeptic--Yes, I would love a low-fat pumpkin biscotti recipe.

I have two of Susan Purdy's cookbooks, and her recipes are great. I do not have the one you mention here. It would certainly be worth looking over. I may see if I can get it from the library. A lot will depend on how she went about cutting fat and whether she differentiated between healthy and unhealthy ones.

I'm actually pursuing a low-saturated fat diet, which is different from what a lot of the low-fat cookbooks take as their approach. I recall in Beatrice Ojakangas' low-fat baking book (which I have in one of the unpacked boxes that will remain unpacked until the renovation starts--I hope in November--then completed in a timely fashion) that she cut eggs, which were thought to be bad in those days, as well as nuts. While I would not go crazy over eggs, each has only 2 grams saturated fat and has vital nutrients, so they have an acceptable place in diet these days. The same is true of nuts, which while we cannot scarf them indiscriminately, they have vital nutrients. (I'm bemused when I see low-fat peanut butter, as they have taken out what actually makes it healthy.) I'm not eliminating saturated fat, but I am keeping it at 11g per day or less. I still used a light butter-canola oil spread on my sweet corn last week!

The challenge is to bake foods where I don't feel when I eat them that something is missing.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Thank you, Skeptic, for putting the pumpkin biscotti in the recipe section. I will certainly try baking them. I might use white whole wheat flour.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Today I made apple muffins, the first of many fall-flavored foods to be made I'm sure.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

We are out of bread, and it was terribly hot and muggy today, so I started my adaptation of Bernard Clayton, Jr.'s Dark Grains Bread after dinner. I'll probably be up until midnight. I'm keeping careful notes, and I hope to be putting my version of the bread on this site soon.

Added Note: The bread came out well, although there is the usual "speckled" top with a bit of wrinkles. The first rise took less than 50 minutes, and the second was almost over risen after 30 minutes. It was warm in the house, but this bread has always had a fast rise. I've been using 4 tsp. yeast, since it's a lot of whole grain. Clayton used 4 1/2 tsp. When I cut it back before, the structure seemed to suffer, but I'm also using a different method to mix it and kneading it longer. I might try 3 3/4 tsp. next time and see if that helps control the rise.

chocomouse
                        Participant

I made KAF's Sandwich Rye Bread today, with a few changes. It's a good, reliable rye that always comes out good.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I’m trying an experiment with my husband's and my beloved Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers (recipe posted here at Nebraska Kitchen). The recipe calls for 4 Tbs. of butter, and I always make a double recipe. The recipe makes a lot of crackers, but I am mindful, with the low saturated fat diet that I’m now following, that in a doubled recipe a stick of butter is 56 grams saturated fat, and the cheese powder adds another 18g. The main flavor is from the cheese powder, so I do not want to delete it, but I wondered about substituting canola oil for the butter. I did some online research, and the suggestion was that ½ cup butter can be replaced with 1/3 cup canola oil. I have a rye cracker recipe I like that is oil based, so I decided to try converting the sourdough crackers. Tonight, I mixed up a double batch and used the canola oil in place of the butter. The dough feels about the same, but is not quite as tacky. I’ve formed it into small rectangles, wrapped, and refrigerated them. I’ll bake the crackers in a few days and report on the results.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I made an apple pie with a crumble top.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Saturday evening, I baked “Healthier Cornbread,” a recipe I’ve used for a long time now, to go with soup for dinner. It only calls for 2 Tbs. canola oil and uses one egg and a cup of buttermilk. I tried it with 1 cup of white whole wheat flour in place of the AP, and I used ¾ cup of the ground cornmeal from KAF and ¼ of Bob’s Red Mill coarse cornmeal. It came out very well. I thought initially that it might be a bit dry, but it was fine and not quite as crumbly as what I make with AP flour.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.