What are You Baking the Week of October 28, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of October 28, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I used puree from the Jarrahdale pumpkin I roasted to try Stella Parks’ Yeasted Pumpkin Bread recipe. I'll put the details in the "yeasted pumpkin bread" thread that I started last week.

I also fed my sourdough and made the dough for my lower-fat Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I made a dozen Moomie's burger buns, intended to stash in the freezer for future use. However, my husband returned home five minutes after I took them out of the oven, and now there are only 10!

BakerAunt
        Participant

I have a lot of oat bran, as I got a little enthusiastic last year when ordering from Bob's Red Mill. It's the one ingredient into which I've not made much of an inroad. On Tuesday morning, after looking for recipes yesterday afternoon, I baked “Apple-Oat Bran Muffins,” a recipe by Linda Greider, published by The Washington Post (Oct. 12, 1988), back when oat bran was supposed to be the miracle additive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/food/1988/10/12/the-art-of-baking-with-oat-bran/0b3dfd14-f855-4a99-90b5-0a176968ea55/?utm_term=.70263314c448

As Ms. Greider points out in her accompanying article, a high proportion of oat bran usually resulted in dry baked goods, once they cooled. That’s why I’ve not baked, for a long time, an apple-date oat bran recipe that I have. She says in her article that oat bran is coarse, so it should be ground in the food processor before using. (I've seen other articles that recommend soaking it in some of the liquid for about 10 minutes before proceeding.) She also uses either chopped apple or a mashed banana to retain moisture. With one cup of oat bran and 1/4 cup whole wheat as the flours, that fruit is necessary, although she says an extra quarter cup of buttermilk can replace it.

I thought it would be nice to have a small muffin with my oatmeal, so I baked the recipe this morning, using an overripe banana. My only change was to use a whole egg, rather than an egg white plus a tablespoon of oil. (As I said, it’s a recipe from the 1980s when the prevailing dietary view was that eggs are bad for you.) It only uses 2 Tbs. brown sugar, but it also uses 2 Tbs. jam, and I used my homemade strawberry, lower sugar jam. I added 1/3 cup chopped walnuts. I ended up with 9 rather than 8 muffins, and I actually got more rise than the recipe indicated I would. My husband and I both had one after our oatmeal this morning, and they are good without butter. Now we need to see if they are still good at room temperature.

Note: They are good at room temperature. As a bonus, they have 44 mg calcium per muffin.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
          • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: clarity
          • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added note
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'll be making a Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake tonight for the Halloween feast at my wife's office tomorrow.

chocomouse
            Participant

I just took an apple pie out of the oven, and I'm thrilled! It was the easiest pie crust ever - to make, to roll out, to move from the counter to pie plate without falling into pieces! It didn't crack, the edges were kind of round and smooth, not jagged. I could see the big chunks of butter in the dough. I used the KAF Classic double crust recipe (the one that uses both Crisco and butter), which I have tried many times before, but this time it just all came together perfectly! I mixed the dough in the food processor yesterday, wrapped it in plastic wrap, and kept overnight in the refrigerator. I'll find out how flaky and tender it is when DH cuts into it tonight. Frankly, I really don't care if it isn't flaky and tender -- it looks great! And, of course, it smells like an apple pie!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Hmm, I wonder what you did differently? Overmixing is a common problem with pie doughs, as is adding either not enough or too much water. Too little water and it crumbles when you handle it, too much and it encourages gluten development, which makes it too elastic, so it fights being rolled out.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I baked a spice cake today from the site Len told us about Jenny can cook.I'm happy with the results,8 inch cake only one layer and it's very good frosted with cream cheese icing.Not very sweet but sweet enough I think the cake had 1 & 1/4 cup flour to 2/3 cup sugar.We liked it.

Chocomouse I know you're happy with the pie crust that's alot to be happy about!

chocomouse
                  Participant

Yes, I am ecstatic about that dough! My husband said it's the best pie I've ever made, flavor, texture, etc. I don't know if he is saying that so that I will make another one, or if it had been so long since I've made a pie that he doesn't remember! It doesn't matter - I'm going out of town for the next five days but will try another pie as soon as I return!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Congratulations on your perfect pie, Chocomouse!

On Thursday afternoon, I baked my Lower-Fat Sourdough Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers from the dough I mixed last week. It's the doubled recipe (without the Lower-fat addition) that I posted here, except that I substitute 1/3 cup canola oil for the butter, and I add 2 Tbs. special dried milk with the flour mixture.

skeptic7
                      Participant

On Tuesday, I did two batches of pumpkin corn bread, northern style with pumpkin instead of buttermilk, and maple syrup instead of honey. Both batches of bread had cinnamon and ginger and allspice, but one of them was made Vegan with ground flax seed and water; and the other one had the normal egg. The normal one was enlivened with 1/2 dried cranberries.

On Wednesday I did cinammon currant whole wheat bread in the slow cooker. I was working from home that day and had a two hour project, so I put the bread dough in the slow cooker and cooked it on high and 2 hours and 37 minutes later it had risen was at 175 degrees and I decided it was cooked. Its very tasty but a little too moist, next time I will try for at least 180 degrees. I gave the Vegan pumpkin bread away and ate the normal one. My vegan friend wants me to make her gluten free vegan treats but I don't like gluten free flour and got tired of Southern style pumpkin bread.

Today I did strawberry quick bread -- a double batch of whole wheat bread sweetened with 1 cup of strawberry jam instead of honey and baked in a 9x13 pan. This is a birthday gift for a friend who likes strawberries.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I made a regular and a gluten-free Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake the other day, using King Arthur's gluten-free blend for the latter. I think adding cocoa masks the taste of gluten-free baked goods, but that recipe isn't vegan.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made a pumpkin pie today. The Libby recipe but seasoned my way (the right way, lol), just cinnamon and vanilla. And this time I did not forget to put the sugar in, I swear!

pumpkin-pie‑2

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Friday afternoon, I baked the KAF recipe, Cinnamon-Apple Flatbread, a new recipe for me, using my sourdough starter. I made some changes. For the bread, I reduced the yeast from 2 tsp. to 1 ¼ tsp., and that was plenty. I reduced the salt from 1 ½ tsp. to 1 tsp. I substituted 2 cups of white whole wheat flour (I use the Bob’s Red Mill Ivory) for that much regular flour, and I added 2 Tbs. flax meal. I used Winesaps and Jonathans for the filling/topping. I used all the juices, rather than only ¼ cup, but I did reduce it down a bit. (Time constraints prevented my doing it longer.) I do not buy the KAF Baker’s Cinnamon filling, so I made my own, using 3 Tbs. sugar, 2 tsp. cinnamon, AND 2 Tbs. regular Clearjel. My husband and I had a slice, warm from the oven, with some frozen vanilla yogurt on the side. Delicious.

Note: The Clearjel that I added is of upmost importance. A couple of years ago, I made pecan sticky buns from a KAF recipe and just used brown sugar and cinnamon, as I see no need to buy KAF’s Cinnamon Filling. Well, the resulting syrup boiled up in the pans and out of them. When I discussed it on this site (or was it still the Baking Circle?), and we were all trying to figure it out, S. Wirth astutely observed that Clearjel is an ingredient in the KAF Cinnamon Filling. When I read the comments on the flatbread, a couple of people mentioned having had a similar issue, so, I mixed it into the cinnamon sugar, before mixing it with the liquid in which the apples had cooked. Perfect! And once again, S. Wirth saves the day!

I also made up a single batch of dough for Lower-Fat Whole Wheat Sourdough Ranch Crackers. It’s an experiment to see if I can create another cracker flavor that I like. I’ll bake those next week.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I'm making Vienna bread today.

skeptic7
                                Participant

BakerAunt;
                                  The Cinnamon Apple Flatbread looks fascinating. It reminds me of apple pizza, but I commonly slice the apples for apple pizza not dice them.

I tried to write about my experiment with a whole wheat version of Portuguese Broa which didn't turn out very well. It didn't turn out inedible but it reminded me of hush puppies only baked, or of oyster crackers only whole wheat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.