What are You Baking the Week of October 22, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of October 22, 2017?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Am I correct that the Vienna bread recipe from Antilope you're using is the 'Vienna Baguette' dough recipe in a thread from the old KAFBC?

BakerAunt
      Participant

Yes, that is the basic recipe that I'm following. Is it on this site? If not, I can post the original as he gave it.

This time I experimented with honey rather than sugar, some whole wheat flour, some rye flour, some flax meal, some bread flour, and some AP. I used butter rather than oil. I used buttermilk and water, both of which I increased. It filled the hearth pan nicely. I'll report on taste after we cut into it at lunch,

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

It's in this thread:
          BC thread - vienna bread

I suspect there are dozens if not hundreds of recipes lurking in those old BC threads, adding them to the recipe area might make them slightly easier to find, but we really need a better search tool that searches only the recipes area, and some kind of recipes subject index would be helpful, too.

That's in my roadmap for the future, but I'm not sure when that'll happen. The WordPress/BBPress structure this site currently uses was something I could put up quickly when KAF gave notice about the imminent death of their BC, I'm not sure how much work it would be to give it the features I want.

BakerAunt
          Participant

OK, I have put it into the recipe section. I've done that with a few others that were in threads as well. It is unfortunate that King Arthur did not give us even a month's warning that the Baking Circle would be shut down.

BevM
            Participant

BakerAunt, thank you for posting the recipe. I will be trying it tomorrow to go with my Hearty Potato Soup on Sunday for my girls' visit.

Italiancook
              Participant

This morning, I baked cupcakes from KAF's "Chef Zeb's Hot Milk Cake." Iced them with ganache. It's reported that this recipe makes 24 cupcakes. It did, but I wasn't pleased with all of them. Most of them did not rise to the top of the cupcake liner. If I use this recipe again as cupcakes, I'll make only 20 or 18. I like cupcakes to at least reach the top of the liner.

One dozen of these was given away. After they were all frosted, I felt so tired that I decided I was going to quit baking to give-away. It's not just the work of baking, but also the effort of delivering. Later in the day when I handed the plateful of goodness to the recipient and watched the joy it gave to the family, I decided it was worth the effort to bake for others. Guess it's a good thing I learned that, since Christmas giving is just around the corner!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Italiancook.
                Rascals1
                Participant

P J spoke highly of them, so sorry they didn't work out for you. I was going to try them but think I will just keep looking or use the 1234 cake for them.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Rascals, the cupcakes taste delicious. Nice texture. I can recommend them for the taste. My only concern was with the height of some of the cupcakes. Next time, I'll just make fewer than 24 to achieve the rise I prefer.

KAF has an excellent banana cupcake recipe online. It's "Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting." The taste and the height are just what I want.

BevM
                    Participant

I'm happy to report the Vienna Bread bake was a success. I love the soft texture and will definitely bake this again. The dough was so easy to work with.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Baked a Cold Oven Pound cake with cream cheese tonight my sister's favorite so we'll cut it tomorrow.

Italiancook
                        Participant

I had posted about making "Chef Zeb's Hot Milk Cake" as cupcakes with ganache frosting. I was disappointed in the height of the cupcakes. I had given a dozen of them away. This morning, I picked up the plate on which I had placed them for giving. The recipient effused about how delicious they are. She said the ganache icing was good and chocolatey. While I had an issue with the recipe, the height didn't matter to the recipients. They are delighted to have received them.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.