What are You Baking the Week of November 5, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of November 5, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I began the morning by baking my adaptation of pumpkin scones from KAF's "The Baking Sheet," 19.5 (Autumn 2008).

Spread the word
      S_Wirth
      Participant

Here is a pumpkin scone recipe Mrs. Chiu of the Baking Circle was famous for:

KAF used her recipe in a Baking Sheet many years ago. I would never use the dried buttermilk powder, tho...she has liquid buttermilk quantities given.

BakerAunt
        Participant

That recipe looks good, S. Wirth. It's not the same as the one I used, but my chocoholic husband will like sampling one with chocolate chips, so I will make a note to try it.

For dessert tonight, I'm making Apple Crisp to use up the last four Cortland apples. I'm making half a recipe of the "Apple Crisp" in the King Arthur Flour 200th Anniversary Cookbook, pp. 310-311. The crisp has oats in it, and I'm using the quick ones, since my husband complains about thick oats in a topping. The recipe itself does not specify quick or old-fashioned.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
          RiversideLen
          Participant

Tonight I baked the KAF whole wheat banana bread. I reduced the nuts a bit and added raisins and white chocolate chips. I haven't sliced into it yet so I don't know if it's good.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Monday, I baked a new recipe, Corn Chip Crackers, from Sift (Fall 2015), p. 67. I used coarse ground cornmeal, so it did not need to cook as long as that step of the recipe stated. I used the whole wheat option for the rest of the flour. I omitted the dash of tabasco sauce, as I do not keep that condiment in the house. For the topping, I reduced the salt from 1 Tbs. to 1 1/2 tsp. but kept the other spices the same. It was an easy dough with which to work. The crackers, rolled to 1/16-inch, only just fit on the baking sheet, and I needed to use my large parchment. I baked for 15 minutes, turning the sheet half-way through, then for the additional 2 minutes. They seemed not done to me, so I gave them 2 minutes more. (These are my heavy baking sheets.) I then used a knife to make sure that all crackers were separated from each other. I let them cool on the baking sheet, so that they would continue to crisp. They were not quite as crisp as I would have liked. With this oven, I worry about burning crackers. The flavor is good, and my husband and I both like them. Next time, however, I will cut the salt in the topping by another 1/2 tsp. and let the spices do the talking.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Today I baked sandwich buns.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Tuesday afternoon, I baked a new recipe, "Pumpkin-Gingerbread Coffee Cake," from Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Pumpkin Recipes" (p. 25). I followed the recipe, except that I eliminated a cup of dried cranberries. I prefer my pumpkin breads without dried fruits. I also did not use the Sherry-Cream Cheese Drizzle that would be put on after the cake cools for 30 minutes. We had it for dessert tonight, and it is yet another winner. That's three recipes from this special issue so far.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Thursday morning, I baked "Onion Parmesan Cracker Bread," from Sift (Fall 2017), p. 9. The recipe was entered by Rosemary Leicht of Bethel, Ohio, in The National Festival of Breads, a competition held every other year, in Manhattan, Kansas. Although the recipe stated to bake at 450 on a baking stone for 8-10 minutes, the first one burned, mostly around the edges, but even further into the center. I baked the second and third ones for 7 minutes each. The second one did well, but the edge of the third one burned. I baked the last one for 6 minutes and 45 seconds, and it came out very well. I should note that I'm currently baking with an old, avocado green oven that does not regulate heat as well as it might, and which does NOT have a window. I also used my Superstone Baking Stone. It was my very first stone, and is about 1/2-inch thick, and only just big enough for these 12-inch flat breads. Perhaps I should have heated up the large Emile Henry one I use for pizza, but cutting the time did produce an unburned product. These are good with soup, and would be good with spreads or dips.

I wish that I could say that I will be baking recipes from the recently released Holiday issue of Sift, but as of Nov. 6, KAF is sold out (it was only released at the end of October), and none of the stores in the next town had it when I looked yesterday. Barnes and Noble is a much longer drive away, and they do not sell it on the internet site.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

On Tuesday, I baked a batch of black & white brownies from KAF to split between the boys and a presentation of packaging for our Christmas Bake Sale. I have the recipe permanently doubled. What I like about it is that although it uses white chocolate, you cannot tell that it is white chocolate and this time I used Penzey's ground nutmeg instead of grating fresh - it really amped up the flavor and it tasted more like the holidays.

BakerAunt, I almost bought Sift at the store the other day - I should see if they still have it.

chocomouse
                      Participant

This morning I made another batch of Deli Rye Rolls, and tried my seed experiment. I found that an egg wash is the most effective way to make the seeds stick to the buns. I suspected that, and Kid Pizza confirmed it a while back. I'm about to make a pie crust now, and I'll probably run out of energy and just refrigerate the dough overnight and fill it tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

This Thursday evening, I have been baking two loaves of my Buttermilk Grape Nuts bread. One will be for lunches over the next week, and the other one will go into the freezer for now. My husband does not mind my experimenting with other breads, as long as I regularly bake this one, as it is his favorite.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Saturday afternoon, I baked Pecan Lime Cookies, which is my version using pecans of "Macadamia Lime Cookies," which appears in Nick Malgieri's Cookies Unlimited, p. 188. When we moved from Texas, we brought the lime tree that I've had for over twelve years, and it had one lime on it this year, just enough for one batch of cookies. I still have plenty of pecans.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Since you brought a lime tree to the cold north, I have to ask, BakerAunt. Is it an indoor tree? I can't imagine it'd survive snow and frost outside. When I was a kid, we lost many peach seasons to frost. If it's indoors, even with heat on, can it survive the colder nights? That question is based on the premise that you turn your furnace thermostat lower at night. Just curious.

Congratulations on growing one lime! That's an accomplishment.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Italiancook.
                              • This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Italiancook.
                              BakerAunt
                              Participant

Italian Cook--the lime tree, even in Texas, stayed inside in the winter. It actually needs some cooler weather. I do not know how it will do here, but we wanted to try.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

We've had a Meyer lemon tree for a number of years, though it's not doing well at the moment, having lost most of its leaves. Still has two small lemons on it, though. 3 years ago we got over a dozen Meyer lemons, much smaller than the ones Mrs. Cindy was sending out, though.

For a while we kept it in the kitchen window, which faces north, but it wasn't getting enough light there in the winter, so we moved it upstairs to a southern facing window.

I'm looking to replace it with a new one, probably next spring. I've been trying to get our local nursery to order one, but the owner seems reluctant to do that, so I'll probably just order one from Monrovia.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.