What are you Baking the week of November 4, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of November 4, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a thread for baking.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I'm in the process of making the yeasted Pumpkin Bread.

I wanted to sub the maple syrup with honey but was unsure of the substitution ratio and didn't feel like looking it up. Since all the moisture for the bread comes from the pumpkin and maple syrup, I thought the correct substitution ratio would be important. So I used the maple syrup. I held back just a little flour, a little less then an ounce, I didn't add it in during the kneading so I'm making a note to use only 15 ounces of flour for next time. Of the flour, I used 5 ounces of white whole wheat. I used walnut oil instead of butter.

I treated this as I do with any other yeasted loaf. I mixed and kneaded it in my KA stand mixer. After the dough came together I covered it and let is rest for 20 minutes. I kneaded it for 5 minutes, let is rest about 10 and kneaded it another 5 minutes. The dough is beautiful, just a little sticky, I had to lightly oil my hands to handle it.

As it rises, I am still conflicted as to how to shape it, a regular loaf, braided loaf or sandwich buns. So many decisions............

I am also thinking that this would make a good cinnamon raisin loaf. That is on my agenda for some time later.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by RiversideLen.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

I've baked that recipe, Len, and it makes a lovely loaf. I like your idea of a cinnamon raisin variation.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I made a batch of my variation of Ellen’s burger buns, but this time I used 2 Tbs. canola oil in place of the butter. I actually forgot to add it until 7 minutes from the end of the bread machine’s kneading cycle. To my relief, the oil did incorporate. I made the dough into 10 buns, which is the size we like for hamburgers.

skeptic7
            Participant

Len;
              Pumpkin raisin bread would be great, and even better with a cinnamon swirl.
              I once made pumpkin cinnamon rolls with bits of candied ginger in the cinnamon spread.

BakerAunt
              Participant

KAF has a yeasted ginger pumpkin bread, which is slightly sweet, that I made about a month ago, substituting in some white whole wheat flour and oil for the butter. It's good as a sweet bread. We had it along with breakfast and as an accompaniment at tea time.

Stella's pumpkin yeast bread recipe is very good for chicken sandwiches. I think it would be great with ham or with most cheeses.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                • This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                RiversideLen
                Participant

Skeptic, pumpkin cinnamon rolls sounds great!

I made a braided loaf. I don't think I let it rise quite enough on the 2nd rise but the loaf didn't turn out bad. I had a slice toasted with dinner, it came out good.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

BakerAunt, I hadn't thought about checking KAF for pumpkin bread recipes, I see they have a number of them. I printed out a couple including pumpkin cinnamon rolls.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Today I baked a loaf of cinnamon bread from KAF instead of potato flakes I subbed one half cup of mashed potatoes and used potato water I saved from potatoes I had earlier this week.I had to add a little more flour but my loaf was very good,the swirl was perfect I did double the cinnamon.Since it was about a cup more flour I baked in a 9x5 pan and it was over top of the pan after baked and held up no squishing when turned out.Happy here!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Your bread sounds beautiful, and yummy, Joan!

I baked Skeptic’s Pumpkin Biscotti on Wednesday night. I followed the recipe except that I use white whole wheat flour, add 3 Tbs. powdered milk, and delete the vanilla. I also spritz the loaf and sprinkle with sugar-in-the-raw, which gives a nice sparkle and subtle flavor. We like this recipe a lot; this is the third time I’ve baked it this autumn.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Today I baked a skillet maple apple upside-down cake for my Book Club meeting. It turned out really nicely. Next time I would put some cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, etc in the cake batter to add a bit more flavor to the cake, which did have great texture. It's a pretty rich cake, with cup of maple syrup on the bottom (top?) of the apples, and 1 and 1/3 cup of maple sugar in the dough. It flipped out of the cast iron skillet beautifully, showing the nice concentric rows of apple slices on top. I was afraid that would be diffuclt to do, since the cast iron is so heavy, but it was fine. I did use a sturdy plastic plate, not a piece of nice china to flip it onto!

chocomouse
                          Participant

I made two loaves of bread, using KAF's Harvest Grains. I subbed in one cup of whole wheat for a cup of AP, used honey instead of sugar, and added 2 tablespoons of flax meal.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Friday morning, I baked the single recipe of Lower-Fat Whole Wheat Sourdough Ranch Crackers from the dough I made up last week. These are tasty. I wish that I could remember how much Penzey's Ranch seasoning I used. I think it was 3 tsp., but I was distracted and did not write it down.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I had been scouring the internet for a pumpkin-bran muffin recipe. I found one, but I also found a Pumpkin-Oat Bran recipe at Genius kitchen, and I decided to make that recipe to have with tea or as a healthy snack. I re-worked the recipe by grinding the oat bran and using whole wheat flour. I also used a whole egg, and buttermilk--with a subsequent adjustment of the baking powder and baking soda. If they are still as good tomorrow as they are today--i.e., moist--I will post the recipe. Healthy and delicious is always good!

chocomouse
                                Participant

Baker Aunt, I've made Apple Oat Bran Muffins several times recently. I don't know where it's from, but it's a recipe by Linda Greider dated October 12, 1988. I think it was connected to an article titled The Art of Baking with Oat Bran, and you might have posted that link? Anyway, we really like it. It is nice and moist.

Today I made another apple pie, trying to replicate my success from last week. This one is excellent, but not quite as good as the first. I knew the dough was a little on the dry side, and it was more difficult to work with. When I rolled it out, the edges were craggy, zig-zaggy instead of a smooth round edge. And it started to crack when I folded it and moved it to the pie plate. I think I should have added about a 1/2 teaspoon more of ice water. My husband said when he cut into the crust at the edge, where I had crimped it, it was a little crumbly. But still very, very good. Now I know the difference, I hope, between the perfect crust and one that is just very slightly not wet enough. I'll make a third one when this one is gone, to confirm this. Another new technique I've used on both of the successful crusts is to cut just the shortening into the flour etc, until it is pretty consistently pea size (I'm doing this part in the food processor). Then, I cut in the butter, which is is 1/2 inch cubes, and leave a lot of the chunks almost whole. I'd read somewhere, KAF I think, to do the shortening first and butter second. I wonder if that is making a big difference? Does anyone else do that? I'm not really willing to experiment and try doing both shortening and butter together -- I'm afraid I'd get a bad crust again!! I'm just so happy to be getting a good crust now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.