What are You Baking the Week of November 26, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of November 26, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm not sure that I will be baking today, but for those of you who are, here is this week's thread.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

This morning, I baked "Quick and Easy Coffee Cake or Muffins" from http://www.breadworld.com (Fleischmann's). It is an easy recipe, but I wouldn't call it quick. From start to finish, it took 2-1/2 hours, but that included greasing the baking dishes and gathering and replacing canisters. I'm not complaining about the time, because the coffee cake tastes very good. And, the recipe makes 2 coffee cakes, or one cake with 12 muffins. I opted for the 2 cakes so I could put one in the freezer. I'm starting to incorporate olive oil in my baking. For the butter, I used 2/3 olive oil and 1/3 butter. Finished product still tasted good enough to serve to house guests. I don't think I'll ever have the courage to use all olive oil in baked goods. After all, butter makes food taste delicious.

Rascals1
        Participant

Italiancook is there a chart you use to convert over to olive oil from butter.

KIDPIZZA
          Participant

Italiancook is there a chart you use to convert over to olive oil from butter.

RASCALS,1:
            Good afternoon. In most recipes you can convert. Consider this, VEG OIL does not contain WATER in it's make~up. BUTTER does however. It has approx. 17% water.
            Sooooo!!!, In subst. we must allow for the additional added oil & or reducing the liquid in the recipe.

Rascals, If you ever think of doing this conversion you can post your recipe & your idea to me & we can work it out together very easily.

Enjoy the day my friend.

~CASS

BakerAunt
            Participant

So, I ended up baking after all on Sunday evening. I baked cornbread to go with our soup. I used some coarse grind cornmeal with the finer ground cornmeal (1/4 cup and 3/4 cup), since we like a bit of crunch in it.

Italiancook
              Participant

Rascals & Cass, below is a link to the chart I use to convert butter to olive oil. I've had good success with it. Cass, I'd be interested in your opinion of the accuracy of the chart, if you have time to fiddle with it. I should say that so far, I've only substituted in the tablespoons, so my success is limited to those measurements. I haven't tried it in larger amounts.

http://www.amazingoliveoil.com/substitute-olive-oil-for-butter.html

Rascals1
                Participant

Thank you Cass for you offer, I appreciate it very much.

Rascals1
                  Participant

Thank you Italiancook for the link. I to would be interested in Cass opinion of it. Your a great bunch of people here.

Italiancook
                    Participant

Rascals, I guess I should post this information, but you may already know it. Maybe it will help someone else.

There is more than one type of olive oil. I keep 2 types in my pantry. They have different flavors. Extra Virgin Olive oil has a distinct flavor in the brand I buy, compared to plain olive oil. There's also a light olive oil, and there may be other types. For pancakes, I prefer to use extra virgin olive oil. It adds a fruity hint to the pancakes. For delicate baked goods, I lean toward plain olive oil, because it has less flavor. I've never used the light olive oil, so I don't know what makes it light -- calories or flavor.

I buy cans of Fillipo Berio for both types I use. That's the brand my mother-in-law used, so I figure if it worked for her and her large family, it's good enough for me. The cans are over 3 quarts, so maybe it's economical. I've never price-checked it. I think, but am not certain, that both types are available in bottles. The cans are awkward to handle to measure out ingredients, so I have oil pour bottles on the counter for ease while cooking or baking. There are, of course, other brands of olive oil.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Italiancook.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

Cass's point--that olive oil, unlike butter, does not contain water--suggests to me that while a baker might get away with a small substitution, the more that is substituted, the more likely the recipe will not bake well. My guess is that it might need less flour or maybe some additional liquid with water added. There probably is not a simple chart with a set ratio for certain amounts.

Recently Cass took some time to trouble shoot with me on my Polenta Asiago Bread. One of his suggestions (along with holding back some of the water) was that I wait to add the oil until the bread has been kneaded for four minutes or so, as the oil will inhibit gluten development. Once the gluten has gotten going, then the oil can be added. In other words, oil will not act like water does, because it does not contain water. I tried this technique with my pizza dough, and I got a lighter, chewier crust. I kneaded the dough for several minutes, then drizzled in the olive oil. However, it is more difficult to incorporate the oil at this later stage. Also, this recipe was designed to use olive oil, so I was not making a substitution.

Italiancook
                        Participant

Thanks for this information, BakerAunt. It's informative. If I ever get around to making pizza dough, I hope to remember your experience. Thanks, Cass!

KIDPIZZA
                          Participant

Rascals & Cass, below is a link to the chart I use to convert butter to olive oil. I’ve had good success with it. Cass, I’d be interested in your opinion of the accuracy of the chart, if you have time to fiddle with it. I should say that so far, I’ve only substituted in the tablespoons, so my success is limited to those measurements. I haven’t tried it in larger amounts.

http://www.amazingoliveoil.com/substitute-olive-oil-for-butter.html

ITALIAN COOK:
                            Good evening to you. I did as you requested of me. I examined the "olive oil/butter subst. chart" for you.

It is not accurate. It is off by approx. 33.33%

EXAMPLE:
                            Notice the 1, cup of butter entry.... the oil should be at 3/4 cup. notice the difference is by mental math is 25%

If oil has no water in it & butter has approx. 17% water in then 1, cup of butter holds only 83& butter/fat. That = to 17% not 25%.

COMES NOW:
                            FORMULA, 1, cup of oil = 8,oz According to TRADER JOE'S virgin oil jar. Multiply
                            8, oz by 117% & = 9 3/8ths oz of butter to equal 8, oz of oil. Now we must concern ourselves with the excesive amount of water in this amount of butter to the tune of.... EX:
                            9 3/8ths butter has approx. 1 5/8ths oz of water in it. this is the amount of liquid you must remove from the recipe... maybe the milk or juice but it needs to be removed.

Yes the subst, can be done in many recipes like in cakes, muffins. But not in cookies, because the concoction would spread too much. Butter is best for flavor but that lends itself to spreading. A combo of butter/shortening works out very well but not oil I think.

Italian cook I hope this info helps you to make the right decision for yourself. I am tired now so I will close now. It's almost dinner time here at the home. My before dinner time of cheap red wine is waiting for me....SALUTE E TOTTI !!!!

~~CASS/KIDPIZZA.

Italiancook
                            Participant

Cass/KIDPIZZA, thanks for doing the math of the olive oil substitution chart. I'm glad you also mentioned that subbing olive oil in cookies would lead to spreading. That would be a disaster, because most cookie doughs take a fair amount of time to prepare.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Cass/KIDPIZZA, thanks for doing the math of the olive oil substitution chart. I’m glad you also mentioned that subbing olive oil in cookies would lead to spreading. That would be a disaster, because most cookie doughs take a fair amount of time to prepare.

Of course, if you made bar cookies, that should be a moot point.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I baked a lot on Tuesday. I made Red Velvet baked doughnuts with cream cheese frosting from Stonewall Kitchen mix that was marked down at T.J. Maxx. I had meant to use it as we got into the hectic moving time, but instead, I ended up moving it here. The cake-like doughnuts are very good; the cream cheese frosting is so-so, although it works with the cake.

I also baked Maple Shortbread. It's a KAF recipe that I tried five years ago (my review is still there) that I did not quite hit what I was looking for. I tried a different one the next year, but I could not roll that dough out and ended up with round stamped cookies. I wanted to use a small imprint maple leaf cutter I have (the kind with the spring). I really do love fall, so in this week before he Christmas season begins (I know: it began in the stores before Halloween was over), I wanted to bake this cookie again. I followed the recipe that I had used the first time:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/maple-shortbread-cookies-recipe

I deleted the vanilla and the maple extract, and I used 2 1/4 cups bleached flour instead of 2 1/2 cups of KAF all-purpose. The recipe made 58 cookies (about 2-inches wide) and one blob from leftover dough. I baked them on heavy baking sheets for 15 minutes at 350F. I'm eager to test them tomorrow.

I baked Ellen's (Moomie's) Buns as twelve rolls, making my usual substitutions. We are going hiking tomorrow, and I needed some rolls for our sandwiches.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added omitted word
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.