What are You Baking the Week of November 19, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of November 19, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Sunday morning I baked Cranberry Bran Muffins. I got an early start, as there are duck hunters on the lake in front of our house, and the gun fire upsets our dog.

Spread the word
      Rascals1
      Participant

Baking Grape Nuts Bread, first time to try it, Thank you for the recipe you posted dachshundlady.

navlys
        Participant

I'm always looking for bargains and last year around this time my supermarket had Krusteaz pumpkin pie bar mixes for $.99. Well the "best by date" is pretty much now so I decided to make pumpkin pecan pie squares to take to our friends" house. Therecipe is on Krusteaz's site. The mix calls for 1/2 c water which I'm thinking of replacing with spiced rum but I'm wondering if this would make the filing too sweet. I'm thinking the pecans would tone down the sweetness some. I know it is heresy to use a mix and let me apologize ahead of time. Krusteaz will take three days to reply to my question.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I often use a cake mix, Arrowhead Mills, so you will not hear any criticism from me. As for subbing rum for the water, the alcohol in rum will bake off faster than water as it has a lower boiling point. So that might make your pie squares a bit dry.

navlys
            Participant

Thanks Len, I'll take your advice into consideration.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Navlys--Perhaps use half rum and half water?

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I tried something new today.I made cinnamon rolls but instead of just brown sugar,butter and cinnamon I added some strawberry preserves,they turned out really good.It was a little messy and I thought I had added too much but after they baked it was fine.I had some lemon glaze in the fridge so I added that to some cream cheese icing I had and it was great,a little lemony but not overpowering.I gave half to my sister that lives next door.I've been adding left over mashed potatoes to my cinnamon rolls and it really makes them so good and so tender,you can see some black pepper in them but it doesn't affect taste,and I'm the only one that sees that my sister said she didn't notice.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

I made a half recipe of Fancy Flours No Fail Sugar Cookie dough on Monday. Instead of vanilla, I used 1/4 tsp of Fiori di Sicilia, because I bought it long ago to use in another recipe, brought it to Indiana in an ice chest, and decided I actually need to use it. I baked the cookies on Tuesday morning. As I smelled them baking, I worried, as it was not the most inviting of smells, but the cookies do taste good. I might, however, use only 1/8 tsp of the Fiori di Sicilia next time and a 1/2 tsp. vanilla, as I would like for the orange flavor to be more of a hint. I used Thanksgiving cookie cutters and decorated with colored sugar.

Rascals1
                    Participant

I was given a bushel of sweet potatoes, was wondering about substituting some of them for the pumpkin in pumpkin bread. What's your thoughts?

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I've made sweet potato breads before, so it's possible. But sweet potatoes really are sweeter than ordinary potatoes, so you may need to adjust the amount of sugar the recipe calls for.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I've been seeing a lot of recipes lately for sweet potato breads, pies, and soups. King Arthur had a wonderful sweet potato sandwich roll in the Fall 2015 issue of Sift. I've made it a couple of times. It's also on their site:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sweet-potato-sandwich-rolls-recipe

There are other sweet potato recipes there as well, so it may give you some ideas.

Rascals1
                          Participant

That recipe sounds good get some puree ready to try several of the recipes, thank you.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

On Wednesday, I baked my version of my Mom's pumpkin pie. As I was making the crust, I realized that I had accidentally used 1 cup of butter instead of 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 half cup Crisco. (I'm glad that I realized that before adding the Crisco!) Once again, the open concept kitchen allows for too much distraction. I forged ahead. After the dough had rested in the refrigerator, I rolled it the usual 1/8-inch thick. I had made a two-crust recipe, so I could do leaf and acorn cut outs around the edge. I decided instead to use more dough for the crust and made sure that I had a thick fold around the perimeter where I would crimp it. I was relieved that the blind-bake was excellent. The pie baked very well. I then rolled out the remaining dough 1/4-inch thick and cut out little turkeys, pumpkins, and acorns, using some of those plastic cutters with the springs that let you make a cookie with a design and then eject it. I baked those at 375F for 16 minutes, until they were lightly brown. I will serve a couple alongside slices of pie.
                              I used 5 parts pastry flour to 1 part whole wheat pastry flour in my favorite buttermilk pie crust recipe. Maybe the pastry flour helped the all-butter crust hold.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                              navlys
                              Participant

Len and BakerAunt you were both right on! Krusteaz agreed with Len that the rum would tend to dry out the pumpkin squares' filing so per BakerAunt's suggestion I used 1/2 water and 1/2 spiced rum. The pumpkin pecan pie squares are a hit! Thanks.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Friday evening, I baked Nelson's Choice Rye Bread--a recipe from KAF on the back of a bag of First Clear Flour (although they have now changed the recipe and its title after complaints that it did not bake well). The recipe is originally from Secrets of a Jewish Baker. Usually it works well for me, although not always, as it is a wetter dough and hard to get just right. However, it is the bread that I dream about with turkey sandwiches. Now that I'm retired, I have time to make it after Thanksgiving.
                                  I decided to try mixing and kneading it in the bread machine--but only after the initial step of letting the mixture of yeast, sugar, and rye flours sit for 20 minutes. I then stirred in the sour cream, put that mixture into the pan of the bread machine, and added the flour. As usual with this recipe, I had to add some additional flour--3 Tbs. (I need to remember to hold back some of the water.), but I did omit 2 Tbs. vital wheat gluten. I do not have it, and I do not intend to buy it again, as I seem to get the same results without it. It was a sticky dough. After a first rise of 50 minutes, I pre-shaped it as a boule, let it rest for 10 minutes, and I shaped it again. I let it rise in an 8-inch cake pan, slashing it after 30 minutes, and letting it rise an additional 7 minutes to recover a bit from the slashing. I was not expecting to get a great rise, but I was wrong, as it was the best rise I've had with this recipe. It is not "pretty, in that it follows the 2-inch high sides of the pan before doming. It also stuck a bit on the sides, but I was able to run a spatula around the circumference, and it came out without any damage. The recipe should work very nicely in my bread bowl--once I find it!
                                  Why did it rise better? I think that the bread machine may have helped knead it more effectively. The only other changes are that I used full-fat sour cream, not low fat, and I did not use vital wheat gluten. I'm looking forward to turkey sandwiches tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.