What are you baking the week of May 6, 2018

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of May 6, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I need to make Vienna bread today, but I think I'll wait until evening to bake it, as it is already 80 here. Hopefully I'll be able to open the windows without getting suffocated from the smoke from neighboring wood-burning fireplaces. Had to seal up the house last night because the air reeked of wood smoke.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For Sunday, I baked 8 "pie bowl" cakelets, using two specialty Chicago Metallic pans and the KAF cake recipe from their Lemon Custard Cake (designed by KAF to push the Marianne pan they were selling at the time). I sliced the rest of the strawberries, and we have vanilla ice cream, so we will have strawberry shortcakes for dessert. Thus we began this day with strawberry sweet rolls and end it with strawberry shortcake!

On the cake, I should mention that I substitute 160 grams of Bob's Red Mill unbleached, extra-fine cake flour for the equal weight of KAF AP flour. It produces a more tender cake. I also delete the lemon flavor and zest and use 1/4 tsp. vanilla.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
        wonky
        Participant

I baked 8 loaves of raisin/cinnamon swirl to donate to a bake sale. A local nurse has a six month old daughter that has some sort of genetic disease. The little girl is only able to eat corn starch, and of course is getting other IV nutrients of some sort. The mom had to quit her job to take care of the little one, and is making multiple trips to Milwaukee Children's Hospital.

Also baked 3 loaves of WW bread for my neighbor who runs the day care.

Plan to make molasses/oatmeal, and blueberry infused cranberry bread tomorrow.

navlys
          Participant

I baked three loaves of potato sourdough bread. A three day affair!

RiversideLen
            Participant

I made sandwich buns today.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Monday afternoon, I fed my sourdough starter, which means that I needed to use two cups of it before I did. I made up the dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I'll bake them in a day or so.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I baked the Austrian Malt bread today decreased the salt a little .When it had risen I used a cornstarch glaze and sprinkled it with sesame seeds.I was pleased ,it looks and tastes very good and light.I baked it like the recipe says at 375* and it was done in 30 minutes.Lots of time I bake bread at 350*.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I've used a cornstarch glaze on rye bread, never really understood why people like it, but I don't understand the Dutch Crunch topping that some people rave about, either.

I used a combination of egg whites, honey and water to stick the poppy seeds down on my hot dog buns last week, that worked really well. (But that recipe calls for an egg yolk so there's an egg white to use up.)

I'm tempted to try a honey/butter topping with a seeded loaf to see how that works.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I can't taste the glaze,just keeps bread soft and shiny and does a good job of sticking the seeds on.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Tuesday I'm baking the KAF Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread. I started the levain this morning, so it will be evening before I'm ready to make the dough. Previously, I've baked this recipe twice. The first time it was wonderfully light. The second time it came out a bit dry and did not rise as well. It was colder that second time, so I may not have gotten enough of a rise. I was careful this time to stir the bubbling, fed sourdough well before measuring out a tablespoon of it. The second time, I was using spelt flour from Bob's Red Mill, rather than the KAF spelt flour, and I had thought the dough was not as hydrated as the first time, and perhaps I should have added more water. The differences in spelt flour between the two sources may play a part, so I'll hold back a bit of the AP flour. I'm using Bob's Red Mill spelt flour because it costs a lot less, especially when I buy a case of it, than the KAF spelt flour, which is only sold by the bag, and at four cups per recipe, that is the whole bag, which makes for an expensive loaf.

I'll report back on how it turns out.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

I ended up reducing the AP flour in the Honey Spelt Sourdough bread by 2 Tbs. Although the bread rose more than on my second attempt and is not as dry, it still does not have the amazing rise of the first time I baked the recipe.

Could using Bob's Red Mill spelt flour rather than KAF's make that much difference? That is the major difference. If so, I need to figure out how to compensate for it. Maybe reduce the spelt flour rather than the AP flour?

I also might use more sourdough starter or else take out the required Tbs. within a couple hours of feeding it.

I could increase the yeast from 1/2 tsp to 3/4 tsp. I did, this time, reduce the salt to 1 tsp.

It drives me crazy when a recipe that baked so well the first time does not get the same results the second time.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

This morning I made buckwheat waffles with oats and pumpkin. I had some pumpkin puree in the freezer that I made last fall that I wanted to use up.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I spent Thursday morning in the kitchen. That's what happens when the blazing sun of Eastern Standard Time blazes in through the bedroom window and hits me in the face at 6:30.

I baked Anzacs, from the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion. If you ever make this recipe, the key is using Quick rolled oats, not the old-fashioned rolled oats. You also need Lyle's Golden Syrup.

I also baked Cherry Almond Cake, a coffee cake recipe from KAF's The Baker's Catalogue--a long time ago, at least fourteen years, maybe more.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cherry-almond-cake-recipe#reviews

Since neither Wonky nor I can leave a recipe alone, I made a few changes. I substitute in 2/3 Cup whole wheat pastry flour, add 1/4 Cup of powdered milk (added calcium), and added 2 Tbs. flax meal.

Instead of Cherry Pie filling, I usually substitute in canned cherries. I used the ones in heavy syrup, but this time decided to forgo the syrup. For the topping, I use the whole can of almond paste because I do not want half a can left over--and it is delicious that way.

BTW--I used a can of Almond Paste with a 2/2014 expiration date. Although a bit drier than normal, it was fine to use.

As it is very sweet, we will have it for desserts the rest of the week.

chocomouse
                              Participant

I've been traveling, but am now home for three days, leaving again early tomorrow morning, so I spent the morning in the kitchen. I made another batch of Chewy Maple Cookies, for the trip, and made KAF's Gruyere Stuffed Loaves but added chopped green olives. I used up odds and ends of cheese: Trader Joe's Cheddar-Gruyere, Cabot Bacon-Cheddar, and a gruyere from the freezer. I also rolled the dough out thinner, sliced it into 18 sections, and baked them in a pan that I think was intended to be a whoopie pie pan and some in a regular muffin tin. They should be good with baked beans for dinner tonight.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I thought that I was done baking for the day, but I went back into the kitchen Thursday evening and baked a pan of my Healthier Corn Bread to go with the soup I made yesterday that we are having for dinner tonight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.