What are You Baking the Week of March 4, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of March 4, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Bakeraunt I made Moomies buns in a loaf of bread today using all of your variations with buttermilk and flax and it turned out really good.It was a couple inches over the 9x5 bread pan and has a good crumb.I tried a slice in the toaster and was pleased.When I slashed it it sank a little but came back up in the oven, after it cooled and I cut it ,it's like 4-5 inches tall.I have a question for ya'll.When you turn your breads out do you lay them on their side or up?I usually always do up but I have had some soft breads that when you put them up they squish some.I also made cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing.
      I Googled the Hafrakex and saw several recipes,never heard of them before but the pictures looked like an oatmeal cookie.

wonky
      Participant

Joan...when I remove my bread from the oven, I put it on a cooling rack, let it remain in the pan for 10 minutes, them tip it out onto it's side. I usually tip it right side up after about 20 minutes or so. This seams to work for me. I also have had bread "squat" when I put it right side up immediately after removing it from the pan.

I remember on the BC we had a thread on this, and some said they tipped it on the side, and pulled the pan partially off, and left it to cool for a while that way, before removing the pan totally.

It amazes me how often those of us who were on the BC, keep referring back to it. It also amazes me that I can actually remember so much of it, as it seems to me my memory is not what it used to be. HELP!!! I hope that I never forget how to bake. I might at some time possibly leave the oven on with the bread in it, and burn the house down, but at least I will have still remembered how to make it.

Oh, I'm sorry what were we talking about, it seems to have slipped my mind.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I don't bake bread in a bread pan very often, we tend to prefer free-form loaves (like Vienna bread), but when I do, I let it cool for at least 10 minutes before turning it out, then I place it on a cooling rack, but not on its side.

Anything I bake in muffin or mini-muffin pan generally has to come out of the pan quickly, or it sticks.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

My best guess on the Hafrakex is that it should be crisp.
            See hafrakex picture

BakerAunt
            Participant

Welcome back, Skeptic7. Did the big storm in the northeast knock out your power?

I usually turn my bread out of the pans right after I remove them from the oven. If I'm using my instant read thermometer to check temperature, I've probably already turned it out onto my kitchen mitt, so that I can take the temperature on the bottom. However, when I've made Moomie's buns as rolls, I noticed that they are particularly delicate on top. I started leaving them in the pan for 5 minutes or so, until the top firms up, before I invert them onto a rack, then back onto another rack, being careful not to squish them. The bread I bake in the Emile Henry Baker also tends to be more delicate on top, so I let it set for 5 minutes before carefully tipping it out sideways onto a rack, then righting it.

Thanks Mike for locating the product picture of the Hafrakex. I may try to figure out how to crisp up in the oven the ones I baked today.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by BakerAunt.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

I realized this afternoon that we are almost out of bread, so tonight I baked Dark Grains Bread from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads (pp. 223-225). The loaves look very nice. See complete details under the thread, "Mixers and Bernard Clayton's Bread Book."

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Thanks for your replies to my baking question!

navlys
                  Participant

My bad. I made cinnamon rolls from a Krusteaz mix. We’re in Florida and I don’t have my normal pantry supplies (excuses,excuses). They were very good!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I put the Halfrakex in a single layer on a slightly rimmed baking sheet and heated at 350F for ten minutes. That crisped them without burning them, and the flavor is much improved. I did the crisping in three batches. They are clearly meant to be more of a sweet cracker-cookie, not a savory cracker, but the sugar reduction I made still left them sweet enough to be a nice accompaniment to tea.

Navlys--When you're away from you baking pantry, you have to do what you have to do to get baked goods from your oven to the table! I also appreciate your letting us know that the Krusteaz mix works well.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

This afternoon, I'm baking Chocolate Chip Hazelnut-Cinnamon Biscotti. The recipe is on this site; it's one of those I tried last spring, as I was using up baking supplies before moving, and I adapted it:

I was fortunate to find some chopped hazelnuts at Aldi's when we shopped this week.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Looking over the list of ingredients in a variety of Krusteaz mixes, they don't seem to be loaded with preservatives and other unpronounceable chemicals.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I've tried their Brownies and they were good.

luvpyrpom
                            Participant

Not much baking this week. The only thing I did was the KAF Soft cinnamon rolls with these changes - instead of whole milk, used heavy whipping cream, 1 extra tablespoon of butter, and cream cheese frosting.

Another topic - I met a new coworker who claims to be a baker. She asked for some of my sourdough starter and she wanted to add it to her no-knead dough to make some bread. She asked me how to add the sourdough to her dough but when I tried to explain it, she said that she was going to add more flour. Why ask how to make it then?

My question, has anyone ever done that - add starter to a no-knead bread?

luvpyrpom
                              Participant

Now that I've gotten a chance to go back and read -

I love the pan grease! I use it for almost all my baking. Like Wonky, I do have to stir it every once in a while. I keep mine in the frig so it doesn't get bad. I have to chuckle because it's in a Cool Whip container and I'm sure someone will be shocked to open it and see something totally different. Plus I like to wash all my pans.

My favorite baking pans for breads are these 9 x 5 pans that were handed down to me by my mother. I think they're aluminum, dented in some places but they bake beautifully and nothing sticks. They're made by King USA which I have found to be out of business. Now I'm trying to build up my baking pans with the USA ones.

wonky
                                Participant

There are many no-knead artisan bread recipes made with sour dough. Go to Breadtopia and Eric can guide you with many different sour dough recipes. There are many recipes that come up if you google it, but I don't always trust internet recipes, including those on pinterest. Some are great, but I have had failures with some of them. Good Luck, and share your results with us. Wonky

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.