What are you Baking the week of March 24, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of March 24, 2019?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking planned here yet. I may have to make another loaf of the 100% whole wheat bread soon, but I've got Vienna bread and Honey Wheat bread available so no rush.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing cooling,waiting on the coffee.

navlys
        Participant

I finally made the cinnamon banana muffins. I didn't do the "dunk in the butter" step. I did sprinkle tops with a little sugar before baking. I enjoyed them but my husband didn't think they were sweet enough.

chocomouse
          Participant

I made peanut butter cookies, and turned them into sandwich cookies filled with chocolate ganache.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

If you didn't dunk them in butter and coat them with sugar, that would explain why your husband didn't think they were sweet enough.

When I make the KAF donut muffin recipe, I don't butter them but I do pop them in a bag with some sugar while they're still warm and shake it.

BakerAunt
              Participant

On Monday, I baked my favorite cornbread, which is a healthier version of the usual cornbread. I used ½ cup white whole wheat flour for half the AP flour. I have some coarse grind cornmeal that I need to use, so I used ¼ cup of that with ¾ cup of fine ground cornmeal. It did not rise as high as one with the fine ground cornmeal, but it still did well, and it had a delightful slight crunch. It was excellent with our soup this evening.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by BakerAunt.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I've pretty much stopped making cornbread with wheat flour, we like the gluten-free one better.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

On Wednesday, as a break from painting the upstairs study, I used a Bob’s Red Mill recipe for Oregon Trail cookies, that I first tried last year and replaced the 4 Tbs. butter with 3 Tbs. canola oil. I also added 1 Tbs. flax meal and 1 Tbs. powdered milk and replaced the flax seed with an equal amount of sunflower seeds. I did not have dried cranberries, so I used dates. It was a very thick dough, and I had to work the seeds in by hand. I tried it as a bar cookie, by pressing it into a quarter-sheet pan lined with parchment. I overbaked them a bit. The drop cookies bake for 10 minutes, and I should have taken these out at 20 min rather than 23. They are somewhat dry, and I recall the drop cookies were also very dense. Next time I try this recipe, I plan to use quick rather than old-fashioned oats, and perhaps add a tablespoon or two of water.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Today I made whole wheat English muffins. And I finished the inventory of my spices, ready now with a list for my shopping trip to Penzey's tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

On Thursday, I baked my standard bread machine kneaded loaf, this time using 1 ½ cups bread flour, 1 cup whole wheat, ½ cup dark rye, and 1 cup mixed 5-rolled grains as the grains. This was an increase in the rye, so I’ll see how we like it when we cut into it for Friday’s lunch.

On Friday, I began the morning by baking a recipe that I recently devised: Oat Bran Apple Date Walnut Muffins. I greatly adapted a base recipe that appeared in the Los Angeles Times food section over 25 years ago, so it is now mine. I used one of our regular Winesaps (supply is getting down) and left it unpeeled. I had a warm one with coffee this morning, and it was delicious and filling. The original recipe was always good warm but not so good on subsequent days. I’m hoping that grinding the oat bran—a tip from a Washington Post baking column that has worked with other oat bran muffin recipes—will give me muffins equally delicious at room temperature on subsequent days.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

We liked the flour combination in the bread. As for the Oat Bran Apple Date Walnut Muffins, they are not dry but tasty cold. Success!

On Saturday morning, I baked another batch of seeded crispbread. I further reduced the salt. These come together and bake quickly. I've made a couple of changes in the original recipe, especially in technique, so I may post it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.