What are you baking the week of March 18th, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of March 18th, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    navlys
    Participant

New week is here.

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

I’ve never had success with Jiffy corn bread mix. I think I may have hit paydirt by adding the following:
        1/4 c skim milk (what we drink)
        1/4 c sour cream
        1 3/4 Tbls.honey
        2 Tbls. corn
        2 Tbls. cheddar cheese
        1 egg

I bake this at 375* for 19 min. Do not overtake. Makes 6 muffins.

navlys
        Participant

Oops forgot to mention that I brush baked muffins with melted butter and sprinkle with a little sugar.Forgive me.?

skeptic7
          Participant

I baked the Hot Cross Buns found in King Arthur Flour Whole Grains Baking. This is half whole wheat flour and half white flour and has baking powder as well as yeast. I found the recipe as written very dry and had to add 1/2 cup more water -- which made it a little too wet so I added some more white flour before everything was a reasonable consistency. It was soft and tasty and a little dense.
            It feels like cheating to be using baking powder as well as yeast.
            I am using vanilla frosting crosses. I'm at the bottom of the vanilla bottle and the frosting is slightly beige since the vanilla is adding more color than normal.
            I made 30 small buns instead of the 24 medium sizes called for in the recipe. They were very pretty despite being small.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by skeptic7.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've been using the KAF Whole Grains book recipe for Hot Cross Buns for a number of years, it's the best one I've found. I grind my own whole wheat flour, though, and I think freshly ground flour has a higher moisture content, so I haven't noticed the dough being dry.

I divide the dough into 32 parts (about 1.5 ounces each) and bake them in 6" round pans, 8 rolls per pan, for about 30 minutes.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Today I baked The Lil Chocolate cake from Just a pinch by Cassie.It's so good and easy to prepare only one bowl and a whisk is all you need,I always change up the recipe by subbing hot black coffee for the hot water.This cake only makes one 8 inch layer and it's just right for my husband and I.Very thin batter but cooks up very good.I frosted it with chocolate butter cream icing.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Joan Simpson.
                BakerAunt
                Participant

Navlys--When you get the chance, would you add the year 2018 to the title of this thread? I'm thinking about our being able to locate it down the road--since we hope to have this site a long time. 🙂

RiversideLen
                  Participant

Today I made sandwich buns.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Today I made two loaves of my usual sandwich bread, and also Moomie's Raspberry Ripple Coffeecake. For the filling that she calls "doughnut jelly", I used the recipe I got when we lived in Germany for hot raspberry sauce on ice cream -- minus the wine, of course!

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I baked the Vienna bread today only half the recipe.It was very good it was about 3-1/2 inches high but had a good crumb.I like bread soft so when it was just out of the oven I brushed it with butter.I was wondering if I could taste the vinegar but didn't.It slices well too.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

A lot of breads come out of the oven with a fairly hard outer crust, but it softens up as the bread cools. The recipe I use for sandwich loaves is like that. The Clonmel Double Crust recipe stays a bit firmer, but I like the taste of it as Vienna bread. (Some years ago I made a batch of it and a batch of Peter Reinhart's Vienna Bread recipe from BBA, and the Clonmel version won a blind taste test.)

BevM
                          Participant

This week I baked my family's favorite, Red Velvet cake, for my daughter's birthday. I know many object to the red color, but I have always used only one bottle (not two as called for in the original receipe). I got the recipe from my mother way back in the late '60's. I also have always made the original cooked frosting that isn't as sweet as buttercream. I did some research (on the internet of course) and found the name of the frosting to be Ermine frosting. Sounds fancy, doesn't it!!

wonky
                            Participant

Made four loaves of my special white bread...my husbands favorite. Then Made a batch of sweet dough to make a batch of braided rolls. Divided the dough into 10 pieces, and then each piece into 3 pieces. I rolled each piece into a small log, and braided them. They turned out just perfect. 10 beautiful braided rolls. I made a vanilla frosting to top them off. A lot of fussy work, but I really enjoyed it, and they were so beautiful. I brushed them with an egg wash also before baking, and they came out shiny and lovely, even if I do say so myself.

BakerAunt, if you are following me in my floury footsteps, give this a whirl. Wonky

chocomouse
                              Participant

Wonky, I love making "fancy" shaped breads and rolls. Did you put anything flavorful in the middle of the logs, like, cinnamon-sugar? Or are these plain dinner rolls? I'd love to try making these.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Very, very cool, Wonky!

This morning I made Raisin Bran Muffins (recipe on this site), using the rest of my supply of dried blueberries rather than raisins. I also used the "grease" to do the muffin pan. Once again it worked well, and it seems to keep the muffins from overbrowning (ok getting slightly blackish brown) on the pan surface.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.