What are You Baking the Week of March 11, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of March 11, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm not doing any baking on this Sunday; instead, I worked on shelling more pecans. I'm sure that I'll be baking again in the next day or so.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Another batch of cinnamon rolls to take next door.After I had gotten them buttered sprinkled with brown sugar and raisins I rolled them up and cut them had on the pans and was wondering why they looked so light in the swirl well I had forgotten the cinnamon so ..no choice but sprinkle it on top and baked as usual.I tasted one and it was fine.topped them with cream cheese icing oh so good!I also put a cooked and mashed potato in them and it really keeps the bread so soft.My husbands aunt is dying and her family has been by her side for almost 2 weeks and they are so tired.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Joan, your family may not thank you enough for your efforts, but I'm sure they appreciate it.

I made Vienna bread today. Recently I've been making it about every 8-10 days.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Joan--my prayers are with your aunt and her family at this difficult time.

Today I baked a version of the KAF "Irish Cream Scones" (see thread about missing cappuccino chips).

I also baked a pumpkin pie in honor of Pi day tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Thank you Bakeraunt and Mike,I know they appreciated everything that has been done for them.Aunt Becky passed last night and she is in her Heavenly home,as Billy Graham said she just changed addresses.

RiversideLen
              Participant

My condolences to you and your family, Joan.

In honor of Pie Day I baked a small cherry pi.

Cherry-Pi-pie

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by RiversideLen.
                • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by RiversideLen.
                Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Joan Simpson
                Participant

Thank you RiversideLen.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Nice looking pie, Len. And a perfectly formed pi, too!
                    Yesterday was a baking marathon for me. I made the Chewy Semolina Rye bread and the 100% whole wheat bread for the bread machine that were in recent KAF catalogues. Both were mixed and kneaded in the abm, but shaped and baked in cast iron bread pans. The only substitution I made was to use Rye Bread Improver instead of the Vital Wheat Gluten. I highly recommend both recipes -- they rose very high, good oven spring, great crumb and taste. Then, I made a blueberry lemon cake from NatashasKitchen.com. I subbed Lemon Juice Powder for the lemon zest and juice. The flavor and texture are great. The outer inch or so was overcooked, so if I make it again I'll cut the baking temperature back to 350 and start checking for doneness at 40 minutes. I'd never heard of tossing the berries with cornstarch so they don't sink to the bottom of the cake, and that trick worked well, with no noticeable change in texture; I'll use cornstarch in the future instead of the usual flour.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

My sympathies to your family Joan. I wish you all peace.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Thank you Cwcdesign.
                        For all the ones that are affected by the storms I can't imagine how ya'll deal with all the snow and power
                        outages in the winter.Bless you all.
                        Pretty pie Riversidelen!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Joan Simpson.
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

Tomorrow is my husband's birthday, and thus I baked KAF's Favorite Fudge Birthday Cake, which has been his favorite since I first baked it for him. I'll assemble it tonight, so that the frosting can set over night. It's a major chocolate rush.

I used "the grease" for the pans, and I'm impressed. The two layers came out of the pans leaving very little chocolate residue.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                          • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                          Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Happy Birthday to your husband BakerAunt and glad you liked the pan grease.The cake sounds good!

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Today I made my cherry pie and I'm currently working on making bagel (Got to have something to go with corned beef on St. Patrick's Day.)

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Mike, how do you make cherry pie using frozen cherries? Do you just toss the cherries with flour or cornstarch or do you heat up some liquid or juice and thicken it and then fold the cherries in?

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

You start by thawing the cherries, of course. Then I strain out the juice, which gets cooked with sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, cinnamon and a little salt. Pour that over the cherries, chill the mixture and put it in the pie crust. I usually do a lattice crust top, because I think it looks prettier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.