What are You Baking the Week of June 3, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of June 3, 2018?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm planning on baking the KAF Wheat-Oat Flax Buns (with my changes, of course) either Sunday evening or early tomorrow morning. We have company arriving tomorrow.

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

I did an apple pizza on Sunday. This was larger and thinner than I normally do it, but still tasty. I wasn't feeling like baking this morning but I am now feeling more ambitious. I also have two cups of pumpkin cream cheese spread which I made for a party last week, and I need something to do with it My current plan is to make gingerbread and hope I can get people to eat pumpkin cream cheese on gingerbread.

https://www.bhg.com/recipe/cheese/pumpkin-cream-cheese-spread/

I thought it would be horribly sweet but it isn't. I'd like to have some cinnamon bread on which to spread the cheese.

wonky
        Participant

WHEW...trying to catch up with my bread orders today, as the past 2 weeks were totally taken up with my father's illness and passing.

Made 6 loaves of WW bread for my neighbor/friend's day care. I needed to catch her up, as she was so sweet in being so patient with me during my busy past two weeks. I made 8 loaves of white bread with various add in's etc. Made 18 of my braided rolls for the fire department meeting this Friday night. My best friend is the Captain of the department, and always asks me for various rolls. This meeting will include all the fixings for make-your-own subs with my rolls. My sis has put in her order for 25 various breads for the mom's and dad's in her Birth Center. She has 19 babies due in July, and I will have to repeat the order for that also. Also have several smaller orders to complete within the next few weeks.

I LOVE IT!!!! The extra money is nice also. I am trying to put half of what I make away for my Grand Daughter's first year of College. I plan to give this money to her at her high school graduation. She will be a senior this coming fall and I am struggling with her leaving for College. I will miss her terribly, but I am so proud of the beautiful young woman she has become. We talk every day, and I know that when she is in College that will probably change. She is going into nursing, with a goal of eventually becoming a Physician Assistant. Bless you Olivia.

RiversideLen
          Participant

Yesterday I made whole wheat sandwich buns with sesame seeds.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Yesterday I baked the famous department store blueberry muffins.They turned out very good.My cousin had brought me a gallon bag full of the biggest blueberries and one of blackberries I had ever seen from his bushes.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Thursday morning I baked a new recipe, Scottish Buttermilk Scones, from Beatrice Ojakangas' Breakfast with Beatrice (pp. 199-200). They are lower in fat than regular scones or biscuits (2 Tbs. butter to 2 cups flour), and they use baking soda and cream of tartar as the leavening--something which might interest Italian Cook, as she needs to avoid baking powder. Dividing the dough into twelve pieces was a bit messy because I was weighing it, and the dough is sticky. Next time, I will try a 2 Tbs. Zeroll scoop.

I split the baked biscuits with a fork, which prevents crumbling and keeps the texture. They were very good with butter and fresh strawberry jam--but of course almost anything would be wonderful with fresh strawberry jam made from such wonderful strawberries.

My one change was to use nearly 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour in place of 1 cup of the regular flour. Barley flour might be nice as well.

This cookbook is new in that it is just published in 2018. It seems to be a compilation of recipes from her other cookbooks, and I think that the publisher may be doing that as a series with other cookbooks.

I was going to try the cream scones, but I used up the rest of the heavy cream yesterday in my soup.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Late Thursday afternoon, I baked Brickle Bars--a fudgy brownie with an almond brickle and mini-chocolate chip topping. The recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book, p. 219. I've baked it a couple of times previously. It was still warm when we had dessert, so we used forks to eat it.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Skeptic7 and Wonky: I've posted the Lemon Nut Biscotti recipe on this site.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

This Friday evening, I've made the dough for Rye Crisps, a cracker recipe that I adapted from KAF's The Baking Sheet 13.1 (Holiday 2001), pp. 18-19--that would be before KAF went to the color, glossy format. I've posted my version on this site. The dough will rest overnight in the refrigerator, then I will bake the crackers tomorrow. While my husband adores the sourdough cheese crackers, I feel the need for some variety.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      skeptic7
                      Participant

Baker Aunt;
                        Thanks for the biscotti recipe.

I did a double batch of apple quick bread on Wednesday and a double batch of ginger bread today. I took the first batch to work and made everyone eat them with the pumpkin cream cheese spread, that didn't get rid of enough of the pumpkin cream cheese so I make the ginger bread for the same purpose.
                        I also did currant buttermilk bread in the cloche. This recipe used four cups of flour and fit nicely in a stainless steel 9 inch cake pan. I let it rise in the cake pan, so much easier to handle, and then put the whole thing in the cold cloche to bake. The bread turned out fine but ... more experimentation is needed. The bread didn't have the very thick bottom crust I found in the previous bread which was baked directly in the cloche but I put a thin folded aluminum foil ring between the cloche bottom and the cake pan to prevent direct heat transfer. This also made the cake pan just a bit too high so the cloche wasn't seated properly and might not have given the proper steamed environment.
                        It was very nice bread and I need to try it again without any aluminum foil between the cloche bottom and the cake pan.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Saturday night I rolled out the rye crisps and baked them.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I made brownies from a box mix. Added a handful of rolled oats to it.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Today I used Moomie's Hamburger Bun recipe to make hot dog buns, a nice handling dough but I still need to work on shaping technique. I also used the KAF recipe for Basic Muffins, subbing one cup of spelt flour for one cup of AP and adding 1.5 cups of blueberries from the freezer. They are tender, moist, and would taste better if I had not forgotten the sugar!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by chocomouse.
                            Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.