What are you baking the week of July 8, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of July 8, 2018?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

This weeks baker's thread:

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

At the farmers’ market yesterday, the folks at Hole in the Woods Farm shared a black raspberry cobbler recipe with me, even though I bought potatoes. (We have our own supply of wild black raspberries.) I baked a half recipe on Sunday (we only had 3 cups of black raspberries left), but of course I made a few changes. I left the filling alone, but for the topping, I used ½ Cup AP flour and ½ Cup whole wheat pastry flour rather than all AP. Instead of using 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder, I used 1 tsp. baking powder and 1/8 tsp. baking soda, as the recipe uses buttermilk, and I wanted to offset its acidity. The original recipe is baked in a cast iron skillet, but I don’t have one available right now, so I used a 9-inch Emile Henry deep pie dish. I brought the topping together into a ball, then flattened it into a circle 5-1/2 inches in diameter. I cut it into 8 wedges. I arranged those over the topping. As I was baking just a half batch, I baked for 30 minutes, until the topping was lightly browned. It is good, but I think the filling did not have as nice of a flavor as my jam. Maybe I should use something other than cornstarch as the thickener?

Here's the filling ingredients for the half recipe:

1/4 Cup + 2 Tbs. sugar
        1 Tbs. cornstarch
        1/4 Cup + 2 Tbs hot water (3 oz.)
        3 Cups black raspberries
        1/2 Tbs. butter

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Did you pre-cook the filling? My experience with cornstarch pie fillings is that they need to be precooked, because they don't get cooked enough in the oven.

The berry pie recipe we got at SFBI pastry school uses a little lemon juice, the extra acid perks up the flavor.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Mike--The recipe called for combining hot water with the cornstarch and sugar and stirring until it thickened. The berries were then added, but the recipe said to cook only until the berries are hot and not to boil them.

I will add maybe 1/2 tsp. of lemon juice next time I make the recipe (next year when the black raspberries return). I wonder what people who are trying to cook local, in an area where citrus is not local, and trying to cook in season, would do.

chocomouse
            Participant

I baked two loaves of our daily bread, but used a cup of First Clear instead of a cup of AP. I see no difference in flavor, texture, rise. I think I'll save my expensive First Clear for rye breads! I also made peanut butter cookies and added chocolate chips to the mix; one of my husband's favorites.

wonky
              Participant

We have been so busy, trying to get through my Father's house since he passed away recently. I have not had time for much else. Thing's are finally coming together, and we should be ready to sell the farm shortly. He was a very, very good farmer, and was so progressive that he had almost every thing new and innovative that you could imagine. We will not have to have a realtor involved, because there are so many buyers interested, that it will just be a matter of setting the price and doing the final sale. When he passed away, the farm automatically was deeded to all 7 of us children individually, there by avoiding probate and inheritance taxes.

Any way, I did find time to make this coconut inspired cake, which is really delicious. My DH loves coconut. I believe I got the recipe of pinterest. I highly recommend it. Of course any thing that calls for sour cream, cream cheese and butter always catches my eye.

I do not normally use cake mixes, but made an exception for this recipe, and I'm glad I did.

Coconut Cake

1 white cake mix with pudding in the mix.
                4 T. melted butter
                3 lg. eggs
                1 Cup sour cream
                1 t. coconut extract

Blend above ingredients until smooth and creamy

Fold in 1 Cup coconut

Put in 9X13 prepared pan and bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.

Allow cake to cool completely and frost with the following

3 Cups Powdered Sugar
                1 8 oz Cream cheese
                1 t. coconut extract
                2 - 3 Table spoons milk

Mix above well, frost cake and sprinkle 1 cup of coconut over frosting.

Enjoy!!!

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

As I recall, cornstarch doesn't really thicken until it gets to about 160 degrees, so just adding hot water won't thicken it much. I suspect your cornstarch was undercooked, and that makes it taste, well, cornstarchy. 🙂

Nearly any acid would help brighten the flavor, maybe a half teaspoon of red wine vinegar? Or anything with pectin, like apples.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I did cook it over the burner before adding the berries, but maybe I did not cook it enough. I'll make a note to check the temperature next time. I might try the red wine vinegar.

I had raised a question about blueberries and terpenes in a discussion post. Maybe all berries lose something when heated and need to be revitalized for better flavor.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

The black raspberry clafoutie I made a few years ago was pretty tasty. We made berry pies in pastry school but they were with those big blackberries, sometimes I've seen those labeled as marionberries but I think that's a somewhat different fruit.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Note: The Black Raspberry Cobbler had much more flavor after I had refrigerated it. We finished it up last night with some vanilla ice cream on the side. I would use a different cobbler topping next time.

We picked blueberries yesterday. On Thursday morning, my weekly email from Smitten Kitchen arrived with berry recipes. I took that as a sign that I should bake her Blueberry Crumb Cake, which she adapted from Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Desserts. I had two changes. I wanted to include some wholegrain, so I used 1 Cup AP flour, then added whole wheat pastry flour to make up the 240grams weight. I also did not have whole milk, so I used 1% with a smidge of heavy cream. I used the minimum weight of blueberries, since the ones I have are large. The cake baked well. I used THE grease on the pan and parchment at the bottom, and I was able to turn it out after 20 minutes with no problem, remove the parchment, then turn it right-side up onto another plate. It has some sinking in the center, although it tested done at 40 minutes. That sinking actually like a “crease” that is about 2 inches long and off center. I'll add a note this evening about taste and texture after we cut into it for dessert tonight.

Here is the recipe link:

Promised Note: The cake is delicious, and it was cooked through, even though in has that off-center dip in the cake. I'm wondering if it needed a slightly larger pan.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: corrected baking time
                        chocomouse
                        Participant

My favorite blueberry dessert came from the local newspaper about thirty years ago, but is now posted on KAF as "Berries and Cream Cake". It is different - not really a cake, not really a cheesecake - and quick to make. It's not very sweet, has a generous amount of blueberries, and is very fattening. Do plan on cooking it a little longer than the recipe states, maybe 10 minutes or so.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

I just baked my favorite Cold Oven Pound Cake,can't wait to cut it.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

My pound cake turned out great and I've posted recipe.I do want to say the recipe originally called for 2&1/2 sticks of butter but I added 3 as my other pound cakes call for 3 and it's one of the best I've ever made,pound cakes are my favorite!I used the pan grease and floured that also so it gave it a little thicker crust.About the time I was ready to add the flour we had a call to pick up my truck from getting the air fixed so I just covered the bowl for that time maybe 35 minutes.I had no idea if it would affect the cake or not so when I finished it up and baked it it's so good.If ya'll like a good pound cake give it a try.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.