What are You Baking the Week of July 22, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 22, 2018?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Sunday morning breakfast during this blueberry season was Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins. The recipe is on the KAF website. (Interesting note: it's eggless.) I made them as 6 large muffins in my USA pan. However, I cut the sugar to ½ cup and the salt to ½ tsp. and added 1 Tbs. flax meal. For the topping, I use a half recipe of the topping that came with the blueberry muffin recipe on my Texas-sized USA: 1/3 cup light brown sugar, 2 Tbs. flour 1/8 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 Tbs. unsalted butter at room temperature. (I made their muffin recipe once, and they were so big and dense that, while delicious, I was too full to eat lunch later, and they were too sweet.) I used the Grease, and the muffins released perfectly.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I made Wheat-Oat-Flax Buns -- our new go-to bun recipe.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm making Vienna bread using the Clonmel Double-Crusty recipe, and with first clear flour instead of AP.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I fed my sourdough starter on Sunday evening, and I made the dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I’ll bake them in a couple of days.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

It will be interesting to see how this bread comes out. I forgot the yeast until nearly the end of the kneading. I added it, but it wasn't rising well, so after an hour I added a teaspoon or so of water and then kneaded in a little more sugar and flour to get the dough back to the right texture. After that it rose properly. It'll be going in the oven shortly, a good 2 hours later than I had originally planned.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Yikes! Thanks for sharing your save with us, Mike. Let us know how the bread turns out.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The bread tastes fine. I didn't get as much oven spring as I usually get, probably due to the yeast issue. It is a bit darker crust and more of a cream colored interior as opposed to white, I assume that's largely due to using first clear flour instead of AP or bread flour. I'm guessing my wife won't notice or taste any difference. We'll probably use it for BLTs for supper.

navlys
                  Participant

I’ve been going through some old recipes & found one for Congo bars. Found similar recipes online calling for double the amount of cchips and a little less flour. Even though everyone thought they were great I found them to be 2 rich and gooey.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

After taking our dog for a long walk early Thursday morning, I baked the Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough that I made up on Sunday. I have a routine for the rolling, docking, brushing with oil, cutting into 3x3-cm squares and lightly salting, then baking, so that I can do it in a little more than two hours. It would be even faster, if I had a docker rather than a four prong fork.

Navlys--Every time I look at a Conga Bar recipe, I think to myself: too over the top sweet. I'd have to have a lot of people around to eat them.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

I used the last of the first batch of blueberries (never fear, we picked another 9.5 pounds yesterday) to make the blueberry cobbler recipe my husband's mother always made. It's actually more of an eggless cake with a butter, blueberry, and sugar topping boiled and poured over it. I’ve been playing around with some of the details. This time I used ¾ Cup AP flour and ¼ Cup white whole wheat flour and reduced the sugar and salt as usual. I added a tsp. of lemon juice to the blueberry topping. We like the results.

After dinner on Saturday, I baked Wheat-Oat Flax Buns (my variation on the KAF recipe) to use for dinner tomorrow. My younger stepson is coming to visit for a week and will take the train from the airport to Michigan City where we will pick him up. I want a quick and easy dinner (sloppy josephines), since travel plans can be disrupted. The last two times I baked the recipe, the buns came out a bit dry and not as light, so this time I reduced the AP flour by 2 Tbs., but the dough still needed an additional 2 Tbs. water. They had nice oven spring and look great.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.