What are You Baking the Week of January 7, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 7, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

RiversideLen that loaf of bread is beautiful.Congrats on such a pretty braid!

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Today I made the no-salt challah that I posted a link to the other day. As expected, I had to add additional flour before the dough wasn't really sticky.

It's a bit bland, but not bad with a little peanut butter on it. (I'm allowed SOME sodium, after all.) I put sesame seeds on half of it, but left the other half without seeds so we can try making French toast with it.

I also made a batch of 4 cinnamon rolls using a total of 1/8 teaspoon of salt in the batch, so I figure each roll has about 100 mg of sodium, maybe less. (Cinnamon rolls with chili is sort of a requirement in Nebraska. The public schools here have been serving cinnamon rolls with chili for many years, and even most of the local restaurants will often bring a cinnamon roll when you order chili.)

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Mike I worked at our high school lunchroom for 10 years and we always had cinnamon rolls with chili and corn bread.That was set in stone :).

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I had never heard of serving cinnamon rolls with chili until I moved to Nebraska. (And of course the kids dip the roll in the chili.)

cwcdesign
            Participant

I started the dough for Mrs Cindy’s cranberry walnut bread on Friday but I didn’t get started until the afternoon and I didn’t have whole grain bread improver which she said helped with the amount of fruit in it. On Sunday, I took it out of the fridge at 7 to let it come to room temperature. I got it in the oven about 1 and then got a text from one of my Mom’s friends who said I had to get her to the ER because she was dehydrated. I had taken her to immediate care on Monday for her flu like symptoms which she didn’t have. I left Will with instructions for taking it’s temperature and it was coming up so slowly I told him to take it out. I tasted it when I got home and it would have been good, but what I learned is that next time, I will use whole grain bread improver and start early enough in the day that I can let everything rest as long as it should. This is a recipe that definitely needs the bread machine for kneading. It’s a 2 page recipe that I will Post if anyone is interested.

As for my Mom, they ran a full battery of labs, an EKG and CT on her head. Everything was normal. She had a respiratory virus so the gave her a full bag of IV solution and 5 days of steroids. She sounded much better on Monday. Last week Will had the flu and they were able to give him tamiflu. He went back to work Monday. I have been valiantly trying to fight it off. I even started on Mucinex on Sunday night, sprayed my car with disinfectant and both trips with my Mom and have been wiping down surfaces. Sadly, I got symptoms of a cold last night. I’m hoping to keep in my nose and head. I have 2 days off today and tomorrow, so I’m hoping I’ll be better tomorrow to run my errands I had planned.

cwcdesign
              Participant

RiversdeLen your bread is gorgeous!

BakerAunt
                Participant

Cwcdesign--please do post the recipe. It is good to have Mrs. Cindy represented here. Also, someone may have ideas for getting around the whole-grain bread improver by using other ingredients.

I'm sorry to hear that you and your family have been visited by the flu epidemic. Apparently this year's flu shot is only 10-30% effective against the strain that is sweeping most of the nation.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

They have to start production on the year's flu vaccine early in the year, and they can only include 3-4 strains, so they're basically trying to guess which strains will be most active 6-9 months in advance. This year, they missed the target.

S_Wirth
                    Participant

Rottiedogs said she copied all of Mrs. Cindy's recipes and emailed them to her...so hopefully she can post all of Cindy's recipes here.

There are two dough enhancer recipes posted here from Bookbag of the old BakingCircle. Several members copied these good recipes to their files so they would not get lost. There are repeats here and you can find them by searching on Bookbag...Dough enhancer # 1 and dough enhancer # 2 are the titles.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

As I recall, most dough enhancers include vital wheat gluten and some kind of acid, and often either barley or soy flour, which would add enzymes.

King Arthur's whole wheat improver has vital wheat gluten, soy flour, inactive yeast and ascorbic acid.

I think you could replicate much of what it does by adding some vital wheat gluten, a little vinegar and some diastatic barley malt.

skeptic7
                        Participant

I baked chocolate orange scones on Monday January 8th, and cheese pizza on Wednesday January 10th.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Today, I continued my experimentations with Antilope's Vienna bread, working off of the ingredient variation that I posted as a reply to Rascals about that recipe. I followed what I did in my 2 January experiment, but this time I further reduced the salt to 1 1/2 tsp. I also substituted in 1/2 cup of barley flour for that much AP flour (it's now down to 1 cup). I did add an additional Tablespoon of buttermilk, as the dough seemed a bit dry after the first 8 minutes of the cycle. I had not added the butter yet, so I was conservative. It made a softer dough than before, but still easy to handle. I again used the Emile Henry baker. I have a beautiful looking loaf. I will post an addendum here tomorrow once we have cut into it and I can comment on texture, as well as the whole wheat-rye-barley combination.

Addendum: The bread has a slightly chewy crust and a light interior crumb reminiscent of store-bought bread. The nice crust I've been getting on these breads is due to the Emile Henry long baker, which also keeps the top from overbrowning from the honey. I like the substitution of the 1/2 cup barley and may try increasing it to 3/4 cup next time. I do not detect any issues in texture or taste by the decrease in salt, although that may be why the bread is of a softer texture.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            • This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Last night I made Honey Wheat Bread.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Tonight I made a pizza with turkey pepperoni and ground chicken.

luvpyrpom
                                Participant

This week was a light baking week. Made pumpkin dog treats on earlier in the week. Today I tried to make Dutch Crunch rolls, used Antilope's Vienna bread as the base. And also made KAF Morning Glory muffins for work tomorrow morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.