What are You Baking the Week of January 28, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 28, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I made banana nut mini-muffins from my banana bread recipe, baking them a little longer so that the outside edges are a bit crisp.

My son liked them baked to the point where there was a lot of caramelization on the outside, but that's tricky because it's thisclose to being burnt. I did something with the first two batches this time that seemed to help. I baked them about 18 minutes, let them cool, popped them out of the pan and put them on a cookie sheet. After they had cooled a bit further, I put them back in the oven for about another 6 minutes. That made the outside edges a bit crunchy, the way my wife wanted them, but seemed to lower the risk of burning them. I think I will try that again.

She freezes them and takes them to the office, eating them during the day when they're still cold if not a little frozen in the middle.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

I made a loaf of Seven grain bread today,soaked the grains for about 30 min.It rose beautifully and baked pretty will taste tomorrow for toast.

luvpyrpom
        Participant

Wonky, I love the KAF Soft Cinnamon rolls. I've made the recipe several times. The ones I've made for work I've used heavy cream, butter, and topped it with a cream cheese frosting. I'm also in the same boat as you in terms of what our families have in the baking supplies. I think my oldest niece is starting to get into baking (she made the cookies for her father's cookie exchange at work). I hope that there will be more among the other nieces and nephews.

Mike, when you put the muffins back in the second time, is the temp the same or is it lower? I've done this method with my bread baking - sometimes I take the loaves out of the pans and then pop them back into the oven for another 5 min. It somehow keeps the sides from caving in.

Bakeraunt, I think I've been baking enough for the both of us. My starter has been working like it's on steroids. I've actually been using my discards to make KAF sourdough whole wheat bread, KAF sourdough cinnamon crumb cake x 3, KAF sourdough date nut cranberry bread x 2, KAF sourdough maple quinoa bread x 2, KAF sourdough honey quinoa bread, and KAF basic sourdough bread.

The two maple loaves, I gave away as gifts to a coworkers who are vegan and they never get to eat the other stuff I bring in. My freezers are packed so I don't know if I will be baking next week. I also found out another coworker has just started to learn how to bake and he's trying his hand at sourdough. I gave him some of my starter and he was amazed at how strong my discard was.

As to the previous thread where we were talking about Nuts.com - got my order today. I had ordered several cans of Love N Bake schmear and paste. Each can came wrapped in bubble wrap. So no dents in them. But I did get two cans of the schmear that had best by dates of Oct, 2017. The nuts were very tasty.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I didn't change the temperature when I put the mini-muffins back in for a few minutes.

skeptic7
            Participant

I did pumpkin cornsticks -- used the basic southern cornsticks recipe but put in pumpkin puree instead of the buttermilk and 4 tsps baking powder instead of 1 tsp baking soda. I baked half of it in a Lodge cast iron cornstick pan, the sort which is suppose to look like little ears of corn, and it unfortunately stuck and had to be pryed loose. The other half was in a different pan and came out better.
              This was Friday night, Saturday I repeated the process with better results having truly slathered the cast iron pan with oil first. The corn sticks came out better but were a little crispy. Probably should have baked them 5 minutes less.
              The texture is drier and more interesting as cornsticks than when baked as a large round in a cast iron frying pan, but also a lot more work.

S_Wirth
              Participant

Italiancook...way back in this thread you mentioned wanting a blueberry bread recipe but couldn't find one. I have one here on this site and it uses 2 cups of blueberries. On the old BakingCircle, we had a dear member, maryclaire5, a pharmacist from St. Louis, whose family loved my recipe and requested it often. You can use part whole wheat flour.

Italiancook
                Participant

SWirth, I appreciate you taking the time to find and post the blueberry bread recipe. Unfortunately, for health reasons, I can't eat whole wheat flour. It's too high in phosphorus. I'm thinking I could not substitute all white flour. What do you think?

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Italian Cook--I think that it would be fine with all white flour.

S_Wirth
                    Participant

Italiancook...I think you'll be fine using white flour. Probably will be a finer texture than using whole wheat.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

It is our annual challah fundraiser so I've made 20 loaves so far this week. I was going to make some more today but the sale was canceled because of a snow day so I'll make some more for the sale next week. I can make a bunch more this weekend.

skeptic7
                        Participant

aaronatthedoublef;
                          Your baking is impressive! I couldn't make so many loaves. What sort of challah do you make? Do you give out recipes for challah French Toast to your buyers.

aaronatthedoublef
                          Participant

Sketpic,

It takes organization. I make the dough in 4.5 pound batches and I made four on Saturday. Normally I would make more but I was single-dading it and had to drive everyone to all their activities and do all the other domestic chores.

Then on Sunday I cut the dough into six ounce balls and wrap them up. Then the kids in religious school made the balls into loaves of challah and then we let it rise and baked it. During the rise I made another batch of dough that I shaped and baked on Tuesday.

I've never actually made challah French toast. We have the challah on Friday and there isn't usually enough left over...

I do give people my recipe if they ask for it.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I made Vienna bread last night, cutting the salt in the Double Crusty bread recipe from 2 tsp to 3/4 tsp. (This post should have been in the Feb 4th thread.)

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

As often as you make Challah, I'm surprised you never have any left over. If there's just a slice or two left, toss it in the freezer, and you'll have enough to do French toast after a few weeks.

It makes excellent French toast, but so does cinnamon raisin bread. I've even made it with cardamom bread, but that wasn't quite as tasty. Even the no-salt Challah I made a couple weeks ago, which tasted pretty dull, made good French toast.

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

I usually make it in 1 lb loaves for the Sabbath. After Friday night dinners there is not much left over. I could make a bigger loaf but I'm still not sure my kids would leave much behind. Teenage boys can eat! Teenage girls might be able to as well I just don't have experience with any yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.