What are You Baking the Week of January 28, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 28, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm not doing any baking while I'm on vacation--and oh, do I miss it. I am living vicariously through reading about what everyone else is baking, so here is this week's thread.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I made Blueberry Buckle from the Better Homes & Garden 75th Anniversary cookbook. I made Blueberry Buckle from a different cookbook when I was a newlywed. I didn't like it. But I had 2 cups of fresh blueberries that I needed to use and couldn't find a recipe for Blueberry Bread in any of my cookbooks. We enjoyed this Blueberry Buckle . . . my husband more that I. The crumb was too light to suit me. I like denser cakes/coffee cakes. I probably won't make it again even though it tasted good.

cwcdesign
        Participant

I made a loaf of MrsCindy’s Irish Oatmeal Bread - but I didn’t have any Harvest grains blend so I substituted Irish Meal. It has great flavor. The first rise went too long, so I sort of patted the loaf down before I put it in the oven - it rose a little in the oven and the t3xture is good. I have to pay better attention to the rising time next time.

skeptic7
          Participant

I made a chunky pumpkin pie last night. This is a recipe that I got from the internet and which called for a quart of pumpkin sliced up like an apple pie. I used a oil based pie crust that is my normal go-to recipe, this turned out very well with a pretty double crust. If I can find the recipe again I'll add the URL so everyone can see it.
            It was great! next time I'll use a little less sugar and add some powdered ginger to the spices. The pie was just a little too sweet.
            This used half of a small pumpkin I bought from the farmer's market in late fall -- a very pretty pumpkin with a speckled skin and the size of a medium pie pumpkin,
            Does anyone have a good pumpkin recipe? My favorite solid pumpkin soup recipe calls for pumpkin and onions and chickpeas and good curry.

Here is the URL to the recipe for chunky pumpkin pie. I left out the water and the vanilla and the butter.
            https://www.chowhound.com/post/egg-dairy-free-pumpkin-pie-280888

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by skeptic7. Reason: Added URL to the recipe
            S_Wirth
            Participant

This is a thread full of pumpkin recipes we collected on the old BC:

skeptic7
              Participant

S-Wirth;
                Thanks for bringing up this thread for me. I remember some of these recipes from the Baking Circle. I especially like the pumpkin cookies and cream cheese frosting. I am looking for something savory, not sweet for the rest of the pumpkin, and something that uses chunks of fresh pumpkin as a change from pumpkin puree.
                I made two batches of pumpkin bread from frozen puree, one recipe is sugarless for a diabetic friend, and the other is sweet with honey and dried cranberries.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Baked two loaves of Banana bread last night, gave one to my sister.Haven't been baking much ,need to get back at it.

wonky
                  Participant

Tangzhong Cinnamon rolls, and I am trying a little bit different Tangzhong bread recipe, with a mixture of cream, milk and dry milk. Plan to make both of the roux's tonight, so they are ready to go tomorrow. I usually start to bake around 6:00 AM, and if I have the roux ready, it saves time, as you do not have to wait for it to cool before adding it to the rest of the recipe. I love tangzhong products, and the soft, fluffiness, tenderness, cottony-ness. And they look so pretty, especially if you use an egg wash.

skeptic7
                    Participant

wonky;
                      The cinnamon rolls sound great. How many are you making?

wonky
                      Participant

Skeptic...I used the soft cinnamon roll recipe from King Arthur ..a tangzhong recipe..You put 24 rolls in a 9x13 pan...I doubled the recipe, so ended up with 2 pans. I would highly recommend this recipe, the rolls were soft. squishy and delicious. Shared one pan with several neighbors, and froze the other pan.

My SIL called today and ordered 2 loaves of cinnamon swirl bread, 2 loaves of molasses/oatmeal, and a dozen of my chocolate chip cressent rolls for her mom's BD...will make those things tomorrow. Also, another SIL called and ordered 2 loaves of my "Wonky's Special Bread" for Sunday. And my son Jerrod asked me to make a double pizza dough recipe for him to make a special pizza for his super bowl party, which I will do for him on Sunday, prior to the start of the game. WHEW..hope it all turns out well. I guess I will be busy in the kitchen baking 4 days this week, and yes, I love it. Just wish I had someone to do all the dishes and clean-up.

skeptic7
                        Participant

Wonky; You need to ask your SILs to provide a nephew or niece to help with the clean up and unskilled labor.
                          That should be enough cinnamon rolls, I hate the recipes that only make enough for a 9 inch pan.

Italiancook
                          Participant

What I'm waiting for is an affordable robot that's programmed to load the dishwasher and put the dishes away. If it also wipes the counters clean, that's a bonus. It probably won't be able to do the pans that have to be washed by hand, but if it can, wow!

wonky
                            Participant

Fellow bakers...I never thought about asking for help, guess I am just so used to doing it myself. If my 17 y/o grand daughter happens to be spending the weekend with us, she loves to bake. I actually bought her a Sunbeam stand mixer a couple of years ago to fuel the fire, and she has used it often.Her mother, my daughter is an excellent cook, but doesn't really like to bake to much. She (my grand daughter) always comments that I have such nice things to bake with, and I guess I never really thought about it, but she is right, I really do have. Every now and then, when I am spending time at their house, they will ask me to bake something special, and my daughters baking equipment leaves much to be desired. But, her cooking probably beats mine hands-down.

I started baking this morning at 6:00, and finally finished at 4:00 this afternoon. Needless to say, I am a wee bit tired, but my counters are full of beautiful breads and rolls, double bagged and ready for the freezer, waiting to be picked up tomorrow. Only have my Son's pizza dough to make on Sunday for his super bowl party.

WOW...a robot for clean=up, I am totally on board with that. Let me know if you can find one. Just so I don't have to clean him/her also. TEE He He!!!!!

chocomouse
                              Participant

I have that robot!! He loads and unloads the dishwasher. Sometimes he puts clean things in the weirdest places. He sometimes wipes the counters. He rarely does pots and pans. I've been trying to reprogram him for almost 50 years - no luck so far. But he's a keeper!!

RiversideLen
                                Participant

What I’m waiting for is an affordable robot that’s programmed to load the dishwasher and put the dishes away. If it also wipes the counters clean, that’s a bonus. It probably won’t be able to do the pans that have to be washed by hand, but if it can, wow!

I am that robot. Full service, I also cook, bake and do the pans too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.