What are You Baking the Week of January 21, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 21, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We are still eating what I baked last week, but for those of you who are baking today, here is the start of this week's thread.

Spread the word
      luvpyrpom
      Participant

Plan to make a double batch of KAF's Soft Cinnamon rolls for a work meeting on Tuesday. Probably will be baking again towards the end of the week.

On a different topic, just found out that KAF has stopped carrying my favorite Love N Bake Almond Schmear (love to use it in place of cinnamon filling for the cinnamon rolls) and have found that Nuts.com carries that product. Has anyone purchased anything from Nuts.com?

chocomouse
        Participant

luvpyrpom, have you checked to see if KAF posted a recipe for the Almond Schmear? I'm pretty I've seen a substitute for the chocolate schmear in their recipes, so maybe there is one for almond. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if S Wirth has shopped at Nuts.com and can give you some feedback when she checks in here.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I too love the Love N Bake Almond Schmear and am disappointed to see KAF no longer carries it. I sent them an email about it a while back and received a generic type of reply that essentially says they are not going to carry it any longer.

luvpyrpom
            Participant

Chocomouse, I checked and KAF doesn't have the recipe for the almond schmear. It annoys me when they use ingredients that they no longer carry. My family and friends love their Almond Cloud Cookies which uses the Love N Bake Almond Paste.

RiversideLen, Nuts.com carries a lot of the Love N Bake products. I also love the Love N Bake Almond Paste for cookies. And I want to try their newest recipe the Almond Galette which uses almond paste.

S_Wirth
              Participant

It has been awhile, but I have bought several things from nuts.com.

Back on the old BC, I started a thread...Great Sites to order online things, and so many folks added their favorites. MrsCindy saw my mention of nuts.com and she ordered several items from them. She posted that their shipping was so fast and customer service was great.

RiversideLen
                Participant

Oh, Nuts.com looks delicious! They also have dark chocolate covered Brazil nuts, the best nuts there are!!

Has anyone tried their coffees?

luvpyrpom
                  Participant

I know, I was surprised to see the unsalted roasted nuts! It's very hard to find unsalted nuts around here. I'm tempted just to put an order in and see what turns up. It's like a new store - very dangerous for me cuz I want to buy so much!

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I place my order a little while ago. I'm getting several cans of the almond filling plus some other goodies. They are claiming a delivery date on Wednesday.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

Nuts.com is very useful and does offer things I cannot seem to find any place else. They sell raw, skinless hazelnuts which I use annually. Last time I bought skinned by mistake. My son is now eating them with the skins on. He is a growing, hungry boy!

I made scones this weekend and was not paying attention and forgot to add the raisins and sugar. That did not slow anyone down eating them but they did need some jam. Usually everyone eats them plain.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

And then there is Nebraska Kitchen:

The recipe is also posted under Janiebakes, but she attributes it to Gina, so it is the same recipe.

KAF was carrying a new kind of almond paste. I do not know if it is any good, since I still have a can of the other to use up--maybe for Valentine's Day since I did not get that Swedish Coffee Ring made for Christmas, New Years, or Epiphany.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                          • This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                          S_Wirth
                          Participant

Here are the ingredients for the Schmear Almond Filling from Nuts.com:

Sugar, Oat flour, Almonds, Water, Cinnamon, Coconut Oil, Modified food starch, salt, vanilla, potassium sorbate Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, and milk products.
                            -----------------
                            Here are the ingredients for Almond Paste from Nuts.com:

Almonds, sugar, and synthetic bitter almond oil. 1/10 of 1% potassium sorbate added as a preservative Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
                            ------------------
                            I was wondering what all the Schmear contained so I did a comparison.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I like the almond filling as the filling for cinnamon rolls. My order from Nuts.com is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I am making the dough today to be ready when the Fedex truck arrives.

Last night I made a loaf of French bread, in the basket weave. I made it 50% whole wheat.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I received my Nuts . com order. Standard free shipping was fast. They included a free sample of 1/4 lb dried apricots :). There are a couple of things I am disappointed with. The main thing is all the cans of almond filling were dented. They were all well wrapped in bubble wrap so they were shipped already dented. To me that indicates they get thrown around over there. The other thing is they have a relatively short best use by date, 4-6-18. I probably won't use them all by then. I know they're probably still good beyond that date but since the cans are dented I have less confidence in them. All the other items, packaged by them, look good in the packages. I don't see a best by date on any of them though.

I'll probably order from them again, but my enthusiasm has been tempered.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Thanks for the status update, Len. You should drop then a note letting them know about your concerns and see how they respond.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.