What are You Baking the Week of January 14, 2018?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of January 14, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm in the kitchen baking, and I'll post about it later, but some of you may already have finished your baking, so I will go ahead and start the thread.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Sunday was a busy day in the kitchen for me. I baked Christmas Crispbread, the same recipe from Beatrice Ojakangas' The Great Scandinavian Baking Book that I baked on Christmas Eve, but this time, I used 1 cup buttermilk and 1/2 cup of half and half that I need to use up. (The original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cup milk.) We are finishing up the first batch, which have kept very well for three weeks. My husband requested these for our Florida trip.

I also baked a new recipe, "Lemon Walnut [Pecan] Biscotti, from Bon Appetit (April 2005), p 119. The original recipe calls for walnuts, but I have a bounty of pecans to use. I will post an addendum tomorrow after I have a chance to sample them.

I made the dough for a single batch of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers, which I will bake later this week. I want them for our trip, and I wanted to feed the sourdough starter.

Addendum: The Lemon-Pecan Biscotti are delicious. I think that I did not put in quite enough lemon zest, but there is still a nice lemon flavor with the 3 cups of chopped pecans. It also had an egg glaze and was sprinkled with sugar in the raw, which gives a nice crunch.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
        RiversideLen
        Participant

You can't go wrong using pecans, Baker Aunt.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Tonight I am making the KAF Ultra-Thin Crust Pizza. As it is cool in the house, I'm giving it a longer rise than usual in a bowl on the table. I have an old, small round pizza stone that I plan to heat up along with my larger one. I'll try pulling out the small one after my husband's pizza bakes, and see if putting it on the stone and tenting with foil helps keep it warm while mine bakes.

wonky
            Participant

Yesterday I baked 5 loaves of molasses/oatmeal bread (the favorite bread of my clients), and 4 loaves of white from my own recipe to fulfill an order. I also managed to bake a cheese cake in between the bread baking. Tomorrow I will bake 4 loaves of light whole wheat, and 4 loaves of light whole wheat with molasses, also to fulfill an order.

I really want to try the challuh that I wrote about last week, but might be able to do that on Wednesday.

Italiancook
              Participant

I admire all your bread-baking, wonky.

The strangest thing happened when I baked Blueberry Muffins for breakfast this morning. I used the recipe in Better Homes & Gardens 75th Anniversary cookbook. I've made these before & always ended up with 12 standard-sized muffins. This morning, the recipe made only 9. I'm sure I had all the flour and liquid in the bowl, and all the sugar and blueberries. So I can't imagine why I ended up with 9 muffins instead of 12. But they're delicious.

My husband found a sale on blueberries, so I'll make Blueberry Pancakes either today or tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                Participant

This morning I baked Gingered Lemon Barley Scones. I worked off of the recipe in the King Arthur Whole Grains Book and a recipe for Ginger Scones from Le Brea bakery that I got out of Bon Appetit. I needed to use up some lemons (done!) and some half and half, which I bought and then could not recall why I had bought it (sigh). They came out pretty well. I need to play around with the recipe a bit. I do like crystalized ginger with lemon, and with two-thirds of the flour being barley flour, there is a nice whole grain taste.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Italian Cook: Were the blueberries smaller than usual?

skeptic7
                    Participant

BakerAunt;
                      The lemon-pecan biscotti sound wonderful! I had hoped to cook yesterday but I didn't have time.

Italiancook
                      Participant

BakerAunt, the blueberries were large.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Italian Cook--maybe there are more small blueberries in a cup when you measure them than large blueberries? I'm giving my best guess as to why it made fewer muffins.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Today I made sandwich buns, the same recipe I used last week to make the basket weave loaf. Except I subbed a little rye for the white flour (1/2 cup). I also wanted to try to make the basket weave for the buns. So I tried it for 2 of them to see how it would turn out. The challenge was to coax 95 grams of dough into 6 ropes. As I expected it would be, it took a little effort. But here is the result.

buns

Of course, it would be easier if I made larger buns. If I do this again maybe I'll make 7 buns instead of 8.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by RiversideLen.
                            • This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by RiversideLen.
                            Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

Tuesday evening I baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough I made on Sunday evening.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Len, those look great! Making buns is time-intensive anyway, compared to shaping a loaf of bread, and I can understand why you made only 2 basketweave. Your buns are big; mine are around 71-73 grams each, which are plenty big for our "mature person" appetite.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I have spent Wednesday afternoon baking. I baked Cherry Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, a recipe that first appeared in Bon Appetit in February 1998. The original recipe calls for slivered, toasted almonds, but I used chopped pecans instead, which go nicely with the dried cherries and Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips. I deleted the almond extract and used a 1 rather than a 2 Tbs. cookie dropper, so the recipe yielded just over three dozen. I then baked my Oatmeal and Cinnamon Chip Scone recipe. The last project was to make Ellen's (formerly Moonie) buns as a dozen rolls. No, I did not try braiding them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.