What are you baking the week of February 4th, 2018

Home Forums General Discussions What are you baking the week of February 4th, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's this week's thread.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I made 2 boules of Cuban Bread before breakfast. My oven temp is haywire so the tops were black, but not so burnt I can't use the bread. My husband didn't notice the discoloration, but it's there. I pulled tomato sauce from the freezer, so we'll have the bread with pasta. The other boule is for the freezer.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I baked a Cold Oven Pound Cake my sister's favorite,and last night I baked the Seven Grain Bread and it is wonderful.I did decrease the salt from 2 teaspoons to 1 and 1/2 and the yeast from 1 Tablespoon to 2 teaspoons.It is the best grain bread I've made so far.Happy here! We had toast with jam this morning and it sliced good and held up well with a soft crumb.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I made the dough for somewhat lower sodium honey graham crackers today, though it looks more like cookie dough. It needs to chill overnight before I roll it out and bake it.

Then I'm going to try using those graham crackers to make a pie crust so I can make a key lime pie.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I made the KAF golden focaccia to have with soup tonight. I think my dough was a little wet, but it still tastes good. It’s very damp here today, so I probably should have cut back on the water. Or, remembered to check the machine after 5 minutes and add a little more flour ?

luvpyrpom
              Participant

I finally used up all the sourdough discard I had built up the past few days with today's loaf of KAF basic sourdough bread. Even with my scoring of the bread - even the recipe didn't say to score it - the loaf doubled in size once it hit the oven. I had an overabundance of apples in Nov/Dec last year so I had sliced, seasoned, and froze the fillings to make apple pie. So I thought I'd try that this weekend. So have an apple crumble pie in the oven right now. Will have to see how it tastes later tonight.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I made a French bread recipe into a basket weave.

skeptic7
                  Participant

Sunday night I baked the "Winter Vegetable Pie" which is found in King Arthur's Bakers Companion, and an old issue of the KA Baking Sheet. This is a pie made of a thin layer of cream cheese, sliced hard boiled eggs and a mixture of cooked cabbage, onions and mushrooms. The recipe called for a normal pie crust but I used my pizza style yeasted pastry recipe so I had a pizza sort of crust on top and bottom. It looked wonderful baked and sliced well, and warmed up well for today's lunch. I only warm it up for 15-20 seconds in the microwave since bread doesn't microwave well.
                    Its sort of like a stuffed pizza without the tomato sauce and cheese. I found it strange to hard boil eggs before putting it in a pie. There are 4 eggs in the recipe. All the vegetables are precooked probably to reduce the moisture. I sliced the cabbage and sauted it pouring off excess liquid, slice the onion and sauted this until slightly brown and sweet, sliced the mushrooms and sauted them until not only the mushrooms were cooked but most of the liquid was evaporated.
                    This does seem to call for some sort of tomato, and I started tomato soup in the slow cooker but it wasn't finished in time to eat with the pie. I still need to run it through a food mill.

Italiancook
                    Participant

I baked a Carrot Pie. Found this WWII recipe in the cookbook, "Grandma's Wartime Kitchen." The blurb to the recipe says canned pumpkin was unavailable during the war, so cooks improvised with carrot puree. I don't know if the stores back then sold carrot puree, and I don't know if they sell it now. I figured they don't, so I made a poor attempt at making carrot puree. The pie tasted good, but my version begs for real carrot puree for moisture. If I find carrot puree in the store, I'll make this again.

S_Wirth
                      Participant

Italiancook...one of our dear old BakingCircle members had a carrot cake recipe that was to die for. She used baby food carrots for that recipe and she swore by that being the best carrots. Bet that would work for you, maybe more than one jar for your recipe.

S_Wirth
                        Participant

Here is the recipe for carrot cake and there is a lot of commentary about the jars of baby food carrots...she used Junior Baby Food Carrots.

wonky
                          Participant

Not a thing...I made a month's worth last week, so am going to sit back this week...and if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. I'm sure by Wednesday, the bug will bite me again, and I'll be spending a lot of time in the kitchen again.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

We arrived home from our Florida trip shortly after 3 p.m. today. I pulled out soup from the freezer for dinner, and I baked my Healthier Cornbread to go with it. I do not recall when I have gone TWO weeks without baking.

chocomouse
                              Participant

Skeptic, that Winter Pie sounds interesting, especially made with a pizza crust. I like the idea of a "bready" crust rather than a "flaky" crust. I think it would be good with asparagus instead of cabbage, which is not one of my most favorite cooked veggies.

skeptic7
                                Participant

Chocomouse;
                                  I like it if I think of it as a pizza, if I think of it as a pie I miss the crispness of a real pie crust. A real piece of pie can be microwaved until hot, but that would ruin the bread crust.
                                  I liked the hard boiled egg slices much more than I expected and the mushrooms make it much more flavorfull than can be expected from a cabbage pie. I had a piece for breakfast, gently heated so not to try out the crust, very good.
                                  I think you could try any vegetables as long as they were cooked to remove the excess water. The Baking Sheet article said that the author had tried a lot of different vegetables and her husband enjoyed them all. I would like to try other types of cheese, probably ricotta instead of cream cheese.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.