What are You Baking the Week of February 18, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 18, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm not likely to do any baking today, but for those of you who are, I'm starting this week's thread.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Technically, it's not baking since I'm not using the oven, but I do think that a frying pan on top of the stove can be considered baking, so Tuesday morning I made French Toast, using the bread I baked last week, which is drying out. Perfect!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
        Italiancook
        Participant

After all the talk about buttermilk recently, I bought some. I thought I'd make a yellow cake, but that hasn't happened yet. So I checked online for buttermilk roll recipes, and yes! they're there. I was surprised that Whole Foods has a recipe online. It's for cloverleaf rolls, and rolling smooth balls of dough is not my strong point. So I used "30 Minute Buttermilk Roll Recipe" from ihearteating.com Still had to roll dough balls, but only 12. I will serve some of the rolls with Butternut Squash Soup from the freezer. The rest will go into the freezer. The rolls feel like they're light and soft inside. (It took me 60 minutes to make these. If I make them again, I think I can come in at 45 minutes. I never can make timed recipes finish in the allotted time!)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Italiancook.
          • This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by Italiancook.
          skeptic7
          Participant

I did Hot Cross Buns on Sunday a variation of the recipe in Fleishman's yeast website with dried pineapples. These came out tasty but too dense, On Monday I baked a whole wheat sugarless fruitless Hot Cross bun which is a rather abstract idea of a proper Hot Cross Bun. I have plenty of spices and butter and eggs and milk to make them properly rich, this recipe is designed for diabetic friends who can't tolerate the sugar found in dough and dried and candied fruit in normal recipes.
            I made a batch of candied orange peel for the next attempt at proper Hot Cross buns.

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Wednesday afternoon, I baked the 100% Whole Wheat Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts with Maple Glaze (KAF website). I baked them in a the small Bundt swirl pans--it made ten. I changed the recipe by reducing the sugar from 1 1/4 to just 1 cup. I also cut the salt in half, from 1 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. I used just 2 Tbs. boiled cider and reduced the vanilla from 1 1/2 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. I added 1 Tbs. flax meal.

I used unsweetened applesauce that I bought at Aldi's. It's nice and thick.

They taste very nice. I made the maple glaze. For some reason, it was very thick, even after I upped the heavy cream from 1 Tbs. to 3 Tbs. I did reduce the maple flavoring from 3/4 to 1/2 tsp. I think it is more of a spreading frosting than a glaze. It covered up the nice swirl design on the "doughnuts." However, the flavor goes nicely with the doughnut.

We enjoyed them as dessert tonight, and we each shamelessly ate two. It's a good thing that the weather allowed us to take a walk in the early afternoon.

cwcdesign
              Participant

I’m not baking yet, but this blog post popped up in my mail today and it made me think of BakerAunt.
                https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/buckwheat-crepes-naturally-gluten-free/

BakerAunt
                Participant

Ooooh! Thanks, Cwcdesign! While I won't be buying an electric crepe maker, I do have some crepe pans--not 13-inches wide, but they should work. I'll let you know when I get around to trying them!

chocomouse
                  Participant

Tonight we had salmon on the grill after my husband swept the fresh snow off the deck, with d'Italini salad and asparagus from the freezer.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I posted about what I cooked for dinner on the baking forum. So here's what I baked today: breakfast cookies! with craisins, white chocolate chips, coconut, oatmeal, and maple syrup.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I haven't baked it yet, but I mixed up some pizza dough for the next several days.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Thursday night, I baked bread. I started with this KAF recipe that has been on their website for a while and was recently featured in their catalog, along with the Emile Henry long baker:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/bakers-grain-sourdough-bread-recipe

I don't have Ancient Grains flour, as I tried it years ago and disliked it. (I used it up by adding just a little at a time to various bread recipes.) I also prefer butter to oil in my breads. I couldn't figure out why the recipe uses 1/2 cup of potato flour. I also did not like that the Harvest Grains do not get soaked.

Here is what I did:

I soaked the Harvest Grains in 1/2 cup buttermilk that I heated to boiling. I let the grains soak for several hours.

I proofed ADY in 1/2 cup of warm water, along with a Tbs. of the honey, then added the remaining honey with the rest of the ingredients--except for the salt, the butter, and the high gluten flour. I added those after a 15 minute rest, when the other ingredients had been mixed.

I used 1 cup unfed sourdough starter.

For the "Ancient Grains," I used 1/2 cup dark rye, 1/4 cup barley flour. I later added 1/4 cup whole wheat flour because my sourdough starter is soupier than the KAF one, and I have found that I need to add 1/4 cup more flour for each cup of starter.

I only used 1/4 cup of potato flour (replaced it with the barley flour).

I used 2 Tbs. butter in place of the oil

I reduced the salt to 1 3/4 tsp. from 2 tsp.

I needed all the 2 1/4 cups high-gluten flour. I had to knead it on 3 for about 8 minutes.

I baked it in the Emile Henry long baker, but I used my usual times of 10 minutes at 425, 25 minutes at 375, and 5 minutes with the lid off at 375. I had to add another 5 minutes at the end, but I was having temperature issues with my oven. (Sometimes it is 25F hotter and sometimes 50F hotter; I don't know until I look at the thermometer.)

It does smell wonderful, so I'm looking forward to slicing it at lunch tomorrow.

Update: It's delicious, with a soft interior, a nice crumb, and a chewy crust.

cwcdesign
                          Participant

I made MrsCindy’s chocolate chip cookies yesterday and used on of my new cookie scoops. Boy, did that save a lot of time!

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I made Vienna bread (Clonmel Double Crusty) last night, using just 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Came out great.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made a small chocolate cake with banana frosting.

For dinner I baked a plain pizza.

skeptic7
                                Participant

I did another cabbage pie -- based on the one in KAF Baker's companion, but used canned salmon instead of the eggs and ricotta cheese instead of cream cheese. I used a normal pie crust this time. It turned out very pretty and I loved the pie crust. I have been making pizza for so long I forgot just how tasty a nice crisp pie crust can be.
                                  I had been looking up salmon pies on the internet but most of them were salmon and mash potato, which seemed tasty but too heavy on the starch so I cobbled together this recipe.
                                  I am trying to make the Hot Cross Buns from Jeffrey Hamelman's Bread right now. They are in the proofing stage. The recipe is only a dozen buns using 3 cups of flour so I tried using my Kitchen Aid to knead it. Its much quicker with a mixer, but its harder to tell if the dough is kneaded enough. I used KAF all-purpose flour instead of bread flour and I hope this doesn't make a difference.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.