What are You Baking the Week of February 11, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of February 11, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm headed to the kitchen with two baking projects in mind (details to follow). For those of you who may have already put in a full morning in the kitchen, here is this week's thread.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I made a blueberry cake from a friend’s recipe - very easy and the blueberries were on sale. I used ½ AP and ½ WWW. The recipe called for ½ cup milk and I realized I could have used my buttermilk, but then I started wondering about baking soda to neutralize it. It had baking powder and that has baking soda in it, correct? So I would not have needed to add baking soda?

Italiancook
        Participant

For breakfast, I made "Simple Banana Coffee Cake" from allrecipes.com

BakerAunt
          Participant

Cwcdesign: Here is what Cass always said. (It is also in Shirley Corriher's book on baking.) When you add 1 cup of buttermilk, add 1/4 tsp. baking soda, but reduce the baking powder by 1 tsp., since baking soda has 4x the rising power of baking powder. For 1/2 cup buttermilk, that would be 1/8 tsp. baking soda and reduce the baking powder by 1/2 tsp.

cwcdesign
            Participant

Thanks BA!

BakerAunt
              Participant

For tonight's dessert, I used the KAF recipe for Cider Doughnuts as a base, but I used 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 cup KAF AP (and no Hi-maize fiber). I added 2 tsp. ground flax meal. I deleted the cinnamon. I used buttermilk instead of regular milk. I probably should have adjusted the baking soda and baking powder (and followed my own advice above!). The doughnuts came out ok, but the Cider flavor really does not come through, as some reviewers of the recipe noted. I thought that leaving out the cinnamon might let the apple flavor come through, but it made no difference. They are somewhat blah.

I used the maple glaze recipe from another KAF recipe--100% Whole Wheat Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts with Maple Glaze. I would have made that recipe instead, except that I do not have any applesauce.

I also baked my version of a whole grain bread that uses the KAF Mixed Grains. I used the Emile Henry long baker.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by BakerAunt.
                RiversideLen
                Participant

Today I made a cake from a mix (Arrowhead Mills) and made a maple glaze for it by using a cup of powdered sugar, a tablespoon of palm oil, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and 1 tablespoon of milk. Not a real strong maple flavor but not bad. Then I sprinkled some chopped pecans on the glaze.

wonky
                  Participant

Apple Pudding...a very simple, easy to make apple dessert. Extra special with vanilla ice cream.

Apple pudding

4 Cups peeled, sliced apples
                    1 tsp. cinnamon
                    1/4 tsp. salt
                    3/4 Cup AP flour
                    1 Cup sugar
                    1/4 Cup water
                    1/3 Cup butter

Put apples in baking dish. Mix Cinnamon, salt and water
                    Pour over apples, and stir to coat
                    Mix flour, sugar, and butter...sprinkle over apples and bake at 350 for approx 40 min.

I sometimes add oatmeal to the topping. Although it calls for 1 cap sugar, use your judgement. I have never used a whole cup. But if the apples are quite tart, you might want to.

Enjoy...Wonky

skeptic7
                    Participant

I just tasted a cinnamon raisin boule I made in my bread cloche. It is much better than I expected being light and fluffy with a thin crust. I was looking at the Cinnamon Bread in Peter Reinharts "Whole Grain Breads" then remembered how I adapted this to English muffins and Hot Cross Buns, so I made a recipe with all the good things buttermilk, and whole wheat flour and currants and cinnamon sugar. I started a sponge and soaker this morning, combined them this afternoon and baked a couple of hours ago.
                      I will have to try the cloche again. I wonder what it will do to dinner rolls.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

This being Valentine's Day week my baking has revolved around that.

Sunday my daughter had a Valentine's party so I made heart-shaped chocolate meringue cookies. It's a new recipe and I have been promising one of my boys I would make meringues so I made both kids happy.

Today, Feb 14, I made heart-shaped scones. I supposed if I'd been more creative (it was 4 AM) I might have dyed them pink and subbed out the raisins for chocolate chips. But it was 4 AM and pink is a color I have trouble seeing...

I am supposed to make some more challah but I may decide not to and wait until later in the week.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Wonky, your apple pudding looks tasty. Any recommendation on apples to use?

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I made banana nut mini-muffins last night.

Italiancook
                            Participant

I made Moomie's Burger Buns for the first time. I used the recipe from KAF, which goes by a different name, but they credit it to Moomie. As far as I can see, it's the same recipe both places. I made 4 large and 8 medium-sized buns. My husband will use one for lunch for a ham/swiss sandwich. I'll use 2 for BBQ Hamburger for lunch & dinner. Put the rest in the freezer.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

As I recall, KAF made a minor tweak to the original Moomie's recipe when they reposted it, but you'd have to compare the recipes line by line to notice it. I haven't made it in several years, I preferred the KAF 'chicago style hot dog bun' recipe, even as burger buns. I haven't had a hot dog or a burger in nearly two months as I adjust my diet and taste buds to the sodium restrictions. When warm weather comes, I'm not sure what I'll do, burgers, hot dogs and sandwiches were a large part of our summertime diet.

S_Wirth
                                Participant

Here is Moomie's/Ellen's famous burger buns recipe from her site:

http://dillsalittlegoatfarm.com/recipes.htm

Scroll on down for other uses for it and more of her great recipes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.