What are you baking the week of Feb 25, 2018

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of Feb 25, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I"m making a large batch of mini-cinnamon rolls today, using the dough recipe from the Holland-American Cruise Line recipe (from the old KAF BC) but with a different filling and using a basic pastry glaze (powdered sugar, water and a little lemon juice.)

I'll also be making banana muffins, because I have a bunch of ripe bananas to use up.

Spread the word
      rottiedogs
      Participant

I have a bunch of bananas to use up too. I made Brian J. Wood's Banana Crumble muffins and a loaf of banana bread. There are a couple left so I will pop those in the freezer for later.

RiversideLen
        Participant

Today I baked a loaf of rye bread.

rye

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'll make 70-90 mini muffins and most of them will go in the freezer.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I spent much of the afternoon working on the chili and cinnamon rolls yesterday.

For the cinnamon rolls I added some sugar and vanilla to the 'Holland American' recipe, I used a brown sugar, butter and cinnamon paste filling, and I glazed them with a simple pastry glaze (confectioners sugar, water and lemon juice), which I heated to make it easier to brush on.

I spread the filling on with my fingers, messy but effective.

I wound up dividing the dough into 2 parts, each half filled two 24-mini-muffin trays. I baked them one at a time, so trays 2 and 4 got a longer rise, and I think that helped them turn out better, next time I'll let them all rise longer before they go in the oven.

The first batch didn't come out of the pan well, I think I let them cool too much and they stuck down, so the other 3 batches I took out right after glazing them.

I rolled the first half of the dough out to about 24 x 16 on a silpat, that turned out to be too thick, so I rolled the second one out to about 30 x 9 on the countertop, and after rolling it up I rolled it a bit more so it was more like 40 inches long by the time I started to cut it. I think next time I might roll it out to 48 inches so each roll is cut one inch thick.

The brown sugar, butter and cinnamon mixture produces a butterscotch/cinnamon filling which is very tasty. (White sugar would produce a caramel filling, but the presence of the molasses in the brown sugar makes it technically a butterscotch.)

By the time I got done, I was too tired to clean the pans and start on the banana muffins, so I'll probably do that tonight.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Wow, Mike! That was a marathon kitchen session!

I have a new recipe baking in the oven, Applesauce Oatmeal Bread, from the KAF website. It's a quick bread. I decided to try reducing the sugar by 2 Tbs. I also cut the salt in half. I added 1 Tbs. flax meal, and I used regular whole wheat rather than white whole wheat flour. I chose to use the boiled cider instead of vanilla. I used pecans instead of walnuts, and I added 1/2 cup of Bob's Red Mill dried apple pieces. I'll report tomorrow on its taste, as quick breads are always better the day after they have baked.

Added Note: The Applesauce Oatmeal Bread, with the changes I made, is delicious.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Well, it was for a good cause, the ag grad student winter fund-raiser. I sampled the other chilis, most were quite a bit spicier (even the ones labeled 'mild'), and also a lot more watery. Mine has lots of tomatoes, beans and tomato juice, my wife's mother used to call it 'tomato soup'.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I baked a batch of Hot Cross buns on Sunday. I started mixing the dough together on Saturday but by the time I finished kneading everything into the dough -- more flour, butter and dried fruit; I was too tired to deal with it so put it into the refrigerator overnight. I formed it into balls on Sunday and baked a sheet pan full on Sunday night, and 8 more buns on Monday morning.
                    These turned out wonderfully. I tried out a pastry cross on two of them, and that is an idea that is going to require more work. The pastry cross was flour, oil and water and was actually quite tasty when cooked. I am going to have to make it thinner so it can be piped onto the buns.

Mike; Were you making the cinnamon rolls in mini muffin tins?

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Yes, non-stick ones from Pampered Chef, I think. I buttered them, too. But the butterscotch filling leaked out a lot and solidified as it cooled.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I've seen a pastry cross done a few times, never tried it myself, let us know what works best. I've always wondered if they were stenciled on.

I'm thinking this year I may use the pastry glaze on them and then pipe on the crosses. The glaze should keep them from drying out so much. (The whole wheat ones dry out quickly.)

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Tuesday morning I made a batch of my Cherry Granola (recipe on this site). Most of the last batch that I made for our Florida trip was eaten by my (I don't eat coconut) husband. Go figure.

In the afternoon, I again baked the Salty Rye Rolls (Sigteboller) from Stanley Ginsberg's The Rye Baker, which I first tried a couple of weeks ago. Mine do not seem as dark as the ones in the picture, and I don't think that it is a matter of baking them longer. I'm wondering if KAF's medium rye flour is not quite the same as the medium rye flour he has. I was able to slash these with my lame, but I'm still having trouble getting a deep enough slash of 1/4 to 1/2 inch. They still smell delicious and will go well with leftover soup tonight and as small sandwich buns.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Some days my doughs seem easier to slash than others, not sure why.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Got the banana mini-muffins made tonight, 120 of them. That ought to keep my wife in muffins for a few days.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Baked a loaf of whole wheat (50%) bread today, in a 3 strand braid.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Yesterday I made hot dog buns for dinner - brats with sauteed peppers and onions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.