What are You Baking the Week of December 9, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of December 9, 2018?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I did not bake today, as we are readying the house for the renovation that will start tomorrow. I hope to be baking in the apt. kitchen by tomorrow.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I fed the sourdough starter on Monday, and I made my signature sourdough pan pizza crust. I’m still trying to get the kitchen in our garage apt. organized, but I’m making progress. I still have some kitchen items to move out, as well as the rest of the contents of the refrigerator and freezer, before Habitat for Humanity comes for the cabinets and appliances on Thursday.

chocomouse
        Participant

That's going to be interesting to work in a different kitchen Baker Aunt. Is it a better space than the kitchen to be renovated? I sure hope everything goes smoothly for you.

I baked two loaves of rye bread today, and I sliced some of the frozen cookie dough logs into cookies that baked while the rye dough was rising. The cookies were an orange, made with plain vanilla dough with chopped candied orange peel that I made a while back, and the other was the same but with chopped dark chocolate added to it. Both are delicious. These are two of the doughs I will use for my Christmas cookie platters.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Today I baked Rum Chewy Sugar Cookies and dipped the tops in colored red sugar.They turned out very good and I got three dozen.

navlys
            Participant

I finally found an outlet for my baked goods. The local legion has the football package on Sundays and being Patriot fans living in a non-Patriot area we all in. They also have a potluck where everyone brings things. So I made Dorie Greenspan's banana bundt cake in the Christmas poinsettia pan. Since I am getting rid of stuff in anticipation of maybe moving I didn't have any food coloring to make the cake pop. So I decorated it with white icing and crushed dried cranberries in middle. Tasted good.

skeptic7
              Participant

I baked a carrot raisin quick bread yesterday, with rosemary as the seasoning instead of thyme. This is basically the same recipe as I put on its own thread only I measure everything more carefully having 1/2 cup of raisins instead of what was easily available, and a nearly 1 cup of grated carrots.

chocomouse
                Participant

Today I made the traditional rum cake for my husband's group Christmas party tomorrow night. It's a simple recipe -- using a yellow cake mix, a package of instant vanilla pudding, eggs, oil, and a lot of rum! Plus a glaze made of rum, sugar, and butter that is delicious.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I’m adjusting to baking in my very small kitchen space in our garage apt. It is a tiny space, so I do a lot of clean as I go. On Wednesday, I again made my adaptation of the Harvest Bread from an originally gluten-free one that Bob’s Red Mill posted. This time, I substituted additional barley flour, along with the AP flour. When I get the chance, I will post the recipe at Nebraska Kitchen.

I also baked an adaptation of KAF’s Oatmeal Toasting Bread that is different enough that I can call it my own. I used half bread flour and half whole wheat. Instead of oats, I used Harvest Grains, which I soaked in ¾ cup plus 2 Tbs. buttermilk. I used 2 Tbs. oil instead of butter, and I cut the salt to 1 ¼ tsp. I baked it in an 8x4 pan, which gave it good height. I’ll report tomorrow on taste and texture.

Because we are going to have just one refrigerator with freezer as of tomorrow, I only baked a single loaf, and used the bread machine to knead the dough.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

BakerAunt I'm happy knowing you're getting a new kitchen.Sure hope all the renovations goes well and quickly!
                      Your oatmeal toasting bread sounds good!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Thanks, Joan. I think that I will start a thread on "Member News" so that people can follow the renovation.

On Saturday, I again baked the lime cake that I developed on November 18. This time, I halved the recipe, incorporating my previous changes. I had an issue, since the recipe calls for three eggs. I decided to use two and delete 2 Tbs. of the oil. I also cut the salt to ¼ tsp., and I used ¼ tsp nutmeg, because I didn’t think there was enough last time. I baked it in a Nordic Ware snowflake pan, which is a 6-cup pan, so it fit perfectly and was done after 40 minutes. I will glaze it using the glaze recipe from the lime cake I baked on December 2. I thought that the Nov. 18 cake was superior, but the glaze for the Dec. 2 had superior taste, so I will have the best of both worlds. I used THE grease, and the cake released beautifully with perfect design detail. Now, if there were just a way to get the bits of residue out of the little nooks and crannies of the pan--maybe a toothbrush? I tried the brush tool that Nordic Ware makes and was very unimpressed.

skeptic7
                        Participant

On Friday, I mixed up two loaves of buttermilk whole wheat bread, enhanced with a little tiny bit of cardamon and some dried dates. I had it all kneaded and shaped and into normal bread pans on Friday night but ran out of energy and left it to rise overnight. On Saturday morning they were both beautifully risen and high and ready to bake. However I had to try to donate blood, go to martial arts practice, take a friend shopping and then check on another friend, so they didn't get baked till 8:00 pm and had fallen a bit. The resulting loaves were rather sour and dense. It went great with cream cheese. I cut them in thin slices and took one loaf to a party with a brick of cream cheese, and gave another half loaf away, and finished the rest of the loaf myself.
                          It was quite tasty but it would have been just perfect if I could have baked it Saturday morning instead of Saturday night.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.