What are You Baking the Week of December 3, 2017?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of December 3, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Wednesday afternoon, I baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers, using the dough I made up last week.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I made pizza last night, it was not my most successful effort. I couldn't find the thin crust recipe I've been using and the one I tried was a disappointment.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Thursday, I again tried baking the Polenta Asiago Bread, from Sift (Fall 2015), p.69. This time, instead of course-ground corn meal, I had polenta (corn grits) from Bob's Red Mill. I'll write a further analysis tomorrow in the thread I started about the recipe.

RiversideLen
          Participant

Today I made a pan of brownies using Ghirardelli's box mix. I subbed milk for the water and doubled it and added a half cup of oats. Alright, that makes it health food, doesn't it?

Italiancook
            Participant

RiversideLen, right now, I wish I had made brownies from Ghiradelli's box mix. Instead, I attempted to make them from scratch. The recipe calls for heating butter, sugar & a little water to boiling, then adding 6 oz. chocolate chips. Pour that mixture into a bowl, mix in dry ingredients, 6 more ounces chocolate chips & chopped nuts. I managed to dump in the extra chips & nuts. Ten minutes after pan was in oven, I noticed the dry ingredients were still on the counter!

I planned to give the entire aluminum pan of brownies to a family friend. My first reaction when I discovered my mistake was to throw the whole kit 'n caboodle into the trash. After a few seconds, I realized I had nothing to lose. I pulled the warm pan out of the oven, stirred in the dry ingredients and popped it back into the oven. I have no idea how these will turn out, but I have so little confidence in them that I'm no longer going to giveaway the whole pan.

When cooled, I'll cut and taste test. If they're passable, I'll cut them into pieces and give in a bag. If I'd known I had to do that, I would never have cooked them in a throw-away container. I don't recall BakerAunt's full quotation, but my mistake proves that at least I bake . . . or try to.

As for your oatmeal in brownies, you're right, Riverside Len -- those are healthy brownies. After all, chocolate is the most important food group and oatmeal is a healthful food.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Late this morning I baked Eggnog Scones, using the recipe on the KAF website, except that I substitute in 3/4 cup of whole wheat pastry flour. I'm using a different kind of eggnog, so I tried deleting the eggnog flavoring, but although these are good, the recipe does actually have a more assertive eggnog taste with it.

Note: At room temperature, the eggnog taste comes through nicely, so the scones do not need the eggnog flavoring. These scones are at their best at room temperature--no need to get up early to bake and serve warm!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                BakerAunt
                Participant

It began snowing this morning, the first real snowfall of the season. My husband estimates that we have had 3-4 inches of the big wet snow. He should know, as he is shoveling it. I am inside, where I have tried a new recipe, Gingerbread Biscotti:

I tasted the crumbs from when I cut them after the first bake, and the taste is delicious. I didn't use the optional nuts or chocolate chips, and I did not use the egg white glaze, although I sprinkled the logs with cinnamon sugar before baking.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I made chewy molasses cookies - again. I made them a few weeks ago and put them in the freezer for our Christmas cookie tray, but somebody ate them! So today I just scooped them onto a rimmed baking sheet and put them into the freezer for a few hours, then bagged them in a zip lock. I don't know anyone who eats frozen cookie dough!!

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I've been known to eat frozen cookie dough. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

One time when I was trying to estimate how much batter to make for a shaped Wilton pan, I filled the pan to the 2/3 mark with pie beans, then poured them into a measuring cup.

luvpyrpom
                        Participant

This week I made Sunburst Lemon Bars from the Barefeet in the Kitchen website. Also made a double batch of Crack Pie Bars for work. Which left me with 8 egg whites. So I tried the Irish Oatcakes from the Whole Foods website. Good thing I sprinkled sugar on top before baking - it was quite bland. Today I mainly made the cookie doughs for all the cookies I plan to bake for the Christmas platters. I also tried a new recipe for Andes Mint cookies.

I also have an overabundance of apples right now so have made up a couple of apple pie fillings for the freezer. Also made KA Cinnamon-Apple Challah bread.

Bakeraunt, the Gingerbread Biscotti looks yummy - will have to give it a try someday soon.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I bake a loaf of braided bread this afternoon.

bread

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Bread looks good Riverside Len.

skeptic7
                              Participant

I did Pizza on December 9th. This is my default deep dish whole wheat pizza. I took it to Martial Arts practice and it was well recieved.

Italiancook
                                Participant

RiversideLen, you made beautiful bread. Thanks for sharing the photo with us.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.