What are You Baking the Week of December 24, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of December 24, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

This afternoon, I will be baking Christmas Crispbread (Julknackebrod--imagine umlauts over the a and the o) for the first time. It's a Swedish holiday crispbread. It will give me a chance to try out the new knackebrod rolling pin I bought earlier this month. They will be part of the Christmas Eve light meal with cheese and beef stick from Hickory Farms, as well as pears from Harry and David.

I'll report back on how the Julknackebrod turns out.I'm using Beatrice Ojakangas' recipe from The Great Scandinavian Baking Book.

Addendum: The Julknackebrod is excellent, and the recipe made a lot: 112 crackers. They are tightly stored in Tupperware and are supposed to last well. I followed the recipe except that I used buttermilk rather than regular milk.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      cwcdesign
      Participant

I made the cranberry almond coffee cake in the wreath pan which we will have for dessert tomorrow since it’s something both my mom and Will have asked for.

skeptic7
        Participant

I did sugarless pumpkin scones with finely chopped apples. This was baked for friends who are trying to avoid excess sugar.

BakerAunt
          Participant

This morning, at my husband's request, I made Wholegrain Waffles. We had about 4 inches of snow the past couple of days, so my husband was ready for breakfast when he came in after clearing the walks yet again.

Last night I made a buttermilk pie crust (3/4 of the recipe for a single-crust deep dish pie) and added 2 Tbs. sugar. I also made it with all-butter rather than a combination of butter and Crisco. This morning I baked a French apple pie (has streusel topping) from Bernard Clayton's pie book. It will be the Christmas dessert.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
            skeptic7
            Participant

Today I made a very dark gingerbread which had 1 cup of molasses to 2 cups of flour. I think the ove was toohot as it came out fudgy in the center but taller and drier around the edges. Its very dark and rich.

RiversideLen
              Participant

I baked sandwich buns today.

cwcdesign
                Participant

Yesterday I made my first batch of bread dough for pan de mie in the Zo. The cycle was finished after my mom left and it was the nicest dough I’ve made in a long time. I don’t think I took quite enough care putting it in the pan and on the rise - it overflowed just enough to glue the lid to the pan. Then when I baked it the additional time without the lid, I took its temp and it was 181. I made the mistake of cooking an extra 5 minutes instead of 2 so it got up to about 204 (it was supposed to be 190). It then sagged in the middle. Will says it’s still delicious and he’s glad to have Mom’s homedmade bread again.

navlys
                  Participant

The cheese crisps that I made with Bisquick and all those cheeses were tasty but the texture was somewhat soft. So I decided to crisp them in the microwave on a paper plate. Voila! crispy crackers.

luvpyrpom
                    Participant

I really almost overdid it this past weekend - baked tons of cookies (honey bars, mint chocolate chip, fudge cookies, thin & lacy oatmeal, molasses, white chocolate w/cranberry, snickerdoodles, lemon coconut snowball, peanut butter), orange-cranberry-dried fruit mini bundt cakes, chex puppy chow, and cranberry bliss bark (candy). I also made Bernard Clayton's Chopped Apple Bread - two loaves of that. The liquid leaked underneath the parchment peper and just stuck to the pans horribly. I literally had to soak the pans for 2 days and then gently scrape off the burnt stuff. Almost ruined my 9x5 pans, don't know what to use next time as I'm afraid of what other pans to use. Alao made a pan of KAF Honey Wheat rolls for the Christmas dinner. I think I am done baking sweet stuff for the next few months. Had to freeze some of the leftover cookies to eat for later in the year.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by luvpyrpom.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

Let's all head over to Luvpyrpom's house for tea and cookies! 🙂

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Wow, you were busy, Luvpyrpom!

I haven't cooked or baked anything in over a week, because we were in Orlando for a Disney family Christmas. Instead, we sampled some of Orlando's great restaurants, including Morimoto's and the Brown Derby in Disney's Hollywood park. My waistline shows the results.

I also caught a cold that is trying to morph into a sinus infection, so I'm on antibiotics and the Chicken Soup diet for the next few days. Good thing we have no plans for New Year's Eve.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Several weeks ago, I experimented with my own recipe for a bread using the King Arthur mixed grains. I baked it again today, only I substituted in some barley flour I wanted to use up for half the whole wheat flour. I again used the Emile Henry long bread baker that KAF is selling, and it makes a stunning loaf of bread. This time, after greasing it, I sprinkled farina (cream of wheat) instead of semolina to prevent sticking, since the semolina tends to burn a bit. My rising times were long since the house is so cold, but I thought a slower rise might be nice, or I could have put it near the wood stove.

It was a cozy day for baking. The lake froze two nights ago, and temperatures are bitterly cold. It started snowing again this evening.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

I baked a stollen today that I will be taking to my neighbor on New Years eve. I changed up the seasonings a little, I hope it tastes OK. I'm also planning on topping it with a almond flavored glaze instead of powdered sugar. I was looking at stollen pics on another site and someone had a stollen with a glaze and pecans on it. Might try that.

aaronatthedoublef
                              Participant

I made a non-dairy version of my mom's molasses ginger cookies to take to friends with allergies.

My four year old helped! The concept of keeping one hand dry/clean was lost on her but I think she had fun. And when we present them to our friends she will be able to proudly say she helped make them and the smile will be amazing. We also did a little bit of math practice...

chocomouse
                                Participant

I baked two loaves of my standard sandwich bread, based on a recipe from The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger, the Honey Oatmeal Buttermilk recipe. I subbed in one cup of whole wheat flour in place of a cup of AP, and added 1/2 cup of KAF 6 Grain Mix. It's good, a no-fail recipe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.