What are you baking the week of December 2, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of December 2, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Not sure I'll bake anything today.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked my favorite cornbread Sunday evening (called “Healthier Cornbread”). I used 2 Tbs. coarse corn meal and made up the rest of the cup with the finer grind. We had it with soup.

skeptic7
        Participant

I baked whole wheat pumpkin scones with cranberries. This is my muffin like recipe that is baked in a cast iron frying pan -- its main claim to be scones is that I insist its a scone.

BakerAunt
          Participant

On Tuesday evening, I baked a new recipe, Lime Bundt Cake, which I found online, as I was searching for cake recipes to use my bounty of limes. I also needed to find ones that used oil rather than butter, since I am limiting saturated fat. I was pleased with the one I made a couple of weeks ago, but it only used lime juice in the glaze. This one uses it in the cake as well:

I made some changes. I used buttermilk instead of regular milk, and I changed 1 ½ tsp. baking powder to 1 tsp. baking powder and ¼ tsp. baking soda. I used canola oil rather than olive oil and substituted in 1 cup of barley flour for that much AP flour. The recipe specified a 9-inch Bundt pan. I correctly guessed that it would fit into a 10-cup Bundt pan, and I used my “Party” Bundt pan (the one where it can be cut into 20 even slices). I used THE grease to coat the pan. The cake baked well and released beautifully. It is a small cake and perhaps would work in a 6 cup pan. I'll glaze it tomorrow, and add a note on taste and texture.

Promised Note: I like this glaze much better than the one I used on my previous lime cake. It was just the right thickness and looked lovely on the cake, as well as tasting good. My husband liked the cake a lot; it has the texture of a pound cake. In terms of taste, I feel it needs something--but, of course, I made some changes, including using canola rather than olive oil. I might add 1/2 tsp. vanilla to the cake next time.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Joan Simpson
            Participant

The only baking I did was buttermilk biscuits.

BakerAunt your lime bundt cake looks great.I might try it with lemons.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Joan Simpson.
              chocomouse
              Participant

I'm back from a long weekend in Maine for a girls' getaway! We shopped and took a class at Stonewall Kitchen's cooking school. It was a seafood dinner: three appetizers, shrimp, salmon, and lobster; pan-seared scallops and mushroom risotto and asparagus; and a chocolate tart. The food was excellent, although the guest instructor lacked teaching skills so it was difficult to follow. I'm doing a Bake for Good class at KAF on the 19th, which is a free class. They give you the ingredients, tools and instruction for making a pie; you make the crust, with their supervision and help, and then they fill and bake it and give it to a local non-profit that helps the homeless, runs a food shelf, etc. They have similar classes for cinnamon buns and sugar cookies. And, I'm enrolled in their English muffin class in January - my muffins taste good, but look awful and are not holey enough. I'm eager to be back in my kitchen!

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Chocomouse that sounds wonderful,I'd love to be able to be in one of KAF's classes!Enjoy!Glad you had a nice getaway,we all need them sometime!

chocomouse
                  Participant

I've spent quite a bit of time baking today. Saturday I'm vending at an Artisan Fair, for a local charity group. My husband is going to sell his maple syrup, so I decided to sell maple baked goods. It's my first time vending my foods, so there is a lot of work in addition to the baking. I've made Vermont Maple Oatmeal Bread (a KAF recipe) which is the only yeasted product I'll have. I also made Maple Coconut Cookies, Maple Pecan Scones, Maple Oatmeal Cranberry mini loaves and muffins, Maple Walnut and Fig Bread (from Sift magazine). Tomorrow I'll make Maple Bacon Shortbread and Maple Cornbread mini loaves. I'm also giving out copies of some of my recipes. Next year, assuming I choose to do this again, I'll add things such as Maple Vinaigrette, Maple Cinnamon Buns, cheesecake, etc. I'm enjoying the challenge of doing something different. Of course, my husband is hoping none of my goodies will sell, and therefore will go straight into the freezer!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Best wishes on your baking project, Chocomouse. Be sure to watch that your husband does not divert customers in order to save the goodies for himself. 🙂

Our little town is having twice a month farmers' markets over the winter for the first time. If we were not going into home/kitchen renovation (our contractor plans to start Monday! Hurrah!), I would have tried some of my specialized holiday treats.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Glad to hear your project is finally getting going. We had a contractor in to do some drywall repairs, that was 2 weeks ago and we're still finding drywall dust everywhere.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Good luck in all your baking goods Chocomouse,hoping it all goes well.

skeptic7
                          Participant

Chocomouse:
                            How did the farmer's market go? The Maple Pecan Scones sound especially good.

chocomouse
                            Participant

The Artisan Fair was fun, educational, and interesting! It was very small, and I was just one of three food vendors (on sold jams and jellies, and another sold just cookies) so my baked goods sold pretty well, for a market that was mostly Christmas gift items, with some gorgeous pottery, jewelry, cutting boards and other woodcrafts, wooden bowls, photography - some very expensive items, and in a wealthy town. My husband's maple syrup, especially the bourbon barrel aged syrup sold really well, and was a great conversation starter. But preparing for the event was a ton of work (and I am well aware of the work of the show itself, as I do sheep and wool festivals, knitting/crochet conventions, etc. all year round all over the US, with my sister who hand-paints wool fibers, cloth, and yarn). I plan to do the same event again next year, and it will be easier - I will have my packaging issues worked out, and have recipes to hand out ready, ingredient labels, etc. The process is more difficult because it is the holiday season with lots of prep, and I made the huge mistake of going away the previous week for some fun time, but that required some recovery! I had thought about doing a local weekly farmers' market when I retired, just to give me something to do, but now know that I will not do that. I love to bake, but not "production" baking. I do miss the baking I used to do for my co-workers and am looking for events to share my goodies with once in a while. I've located a community elder coffee klatch that I now plan to bring goodies to. But I think once a month or so will be enough! Does anyone else here do this type of thing on a regular basis?

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I have to admit, bourbon-barrel aged maple syrup sounds interesting, I'd have probably bought some of that.

I'm going to skip the holiday farmers markets this year.

skeptic7
                                Participant

Chocomouse;
                                  Do you come to the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival or any others in the Virginia/Maryland area?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.