What are you Baking the week of December 10th?

Home Forums General Discussions What are you Baking the week of December 10th?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Hi, Rascals! It's good to know that you are reading the posts. Thank you Jan for keeping us informed.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Hey Rascals,prayers still coming your way,glad you're daughter is keeping us informed on your well being.Thank you Jan and for taking good care of your Mom.A loving family is a blessing.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Tuesday evening, I baked Swedish Lucia buns to celebrate Saint Lucia's day on December 13. I never had the chance to know my Swedish grandmother, as she died when my father was an infant, so I try to recover some of those traditions.

The bake was not without incident. (See discussion thread about never turning your back on softening butter.) I have not baked this recipe for at least a year, and perhaps it has been two years. The basic recipe comes from Betty Crocker's International Cookbook, but I have played around with it over the years. I now use the special Gold yeast and substituted in a cup of white whole wheat flour. I've found that I also use a cup less flour (4 1/2 rather than 5 1/2) than in the book's recipe. I added 2 Tbs. potato flour because I have it and want to use it up. I'm not sure that I will order that ingredient again. They came out well, but they perhaps should have baked another minute or two. They are still good.

Italiancook
          Participant

It's official: I baked 32 Butterhorn dinner rolls for the first time! I don't have a camera to post a picture, but they look gorgeous. Taste good, too. In the end, I liked working with a refrigerated dough. I roll dough slowly, probably because of the rolling pin, so the cold dough kept the butter cold enough to live with my slow rolling. I think I'll buy a marble rolling pin if the vendor has free shipping today. I would definitely make butterhorns again, but I will find a recipe that doesn't use as much flour. Probably, I'll refrigerate the dough overnight even if the recipe doesn't call for it.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Congratulations on the Butterhorns, Italian Cook!

This morning I baked Speculaas cookies from the dough I made last evening (see thread under dessert). This evening I baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Grape Nuts bread because we are out of bread, and my husband has been patient while I have done some other breads recently. I am continuing to experiment with the recipe I posted, this time by adding 1/4 cup barley flour. This bread always makes me think of Dachshundlady, who introduced us to it, and it makes me think of Rascals, who also enjoys baking it.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
              luvpyrpom
              Participant

This week was prepping all the cookie dough for the holiday cookie trays. I also wanted to make a birthday gift of sunburst lemon bars for a coworker. The recipe is from Barefeet in the Kitchen blog. It was pretty good after I upped the lemon (I really like tart stuff). I wanted to try the same recipe but with lime to make lime bars. I think I need to up the lime on that one, too, as I could barely taste the lime. So for the holiday cookies this year, I decided to try making the dough ahead of time and freeze them in either rolls (so I could slice and bake) or in tubs so I could just scoop and bake. It did make it easier for me to bake more in a timely manner - like today I baked a dozen of each flavor of cookie (total of 8 kinds). I made honey bars, christmas cookies - Fudge cookies, Andes Mint cookies, Snickerdoodles, Peanut Butter, Thin & Crispy Oatmeal, White Chocolate & Cranberry, Molasses, and Lemon-Coconut Snowballs. I also made People Puppy Chow or Chex Puppy Chow or Moose Munch - I guess the name varies by region. I wanted to bake some bread but am kind of tired from being in the kitchen all day.

Bakeraunt, I've been meaning to ask about the Maple Shortbread I saw you had shared on here. Will it hold imprint pretty good? I bought some cookie stamps and I still have my springerle molds and would love to use them with this recipe.

skeptic7
                Participant

All of you are cooking such wonderful things! I had oral surgery to remove a tooth so I can only eat soft things. I finished up the last up the last of the lemon meringue pie myself, but found the crust was harder than I liked. I'll try more blind pie crusts later.
                  I admire the Swedish Lucia buns and the butterhorns and all the cookies. They all sound fascinating.
                  Does anyone have favorite recipes that use almond meal? I bought a bag for one recipe that only used 1/2 a cup so I have most of the bag left. I thought perhaps Scottish Shortbread with almond meal subsituted for part of the oat flour.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Luvpyrpom--Yes, that maple shortbread holds the images well. I was very pleased with my maple leaves. I'm thinking of trying it with some small Christmas pie crust press cutters.

luvpyrpom
                    Participant

Skeptic, I have the same problem - bought a bag of almond flour to make Chinese almond cookies like what I had as a child and haven't remade them again. Plus, I've met too many people that have nut allergies so I have to be careful of exposing them to the cookies. A friend offered me a recipe that uses almond flour/meal - it's a cake that also has ricotta and lemon. I haven't made it yet as I didn't have the heart to tell her that I can't do dairy. I hope you find something yummy to use your almond meal.

Italiancook
                      Participant

luvpyrpom, I admire your ability to make so many different kinds of cookies. You, BakerAunt & others are so busy with holiday baking. I still haven't decided if I'm going to bake cookies before Christmas.

luvpyrpom
                        Participant

Italiancook, every year I tell myself - don't do this again. This year, I actually wrote in next year's calendar of when to start making the cookie dough. I did find it easier this year when I premixed the doughs and froze them in log forms or in tubs so I can just bake when I need to. But it's the prep work that kills me each time - I only have one mixer bowl and each recipe is either doubled, tripled, or quadrupled. So it's a lot of washing!

Italiancook
                          Participant

Maybe I'll try that idea in November next year, luvpyrpom. I could make the doughs and freeze them. Even the dough for cut-out cookies can be frozen. So I don't see a downside to this. I'm hoping, though, that I develop . . . something . . . to make cookies next week for the families who are used to receiving from me at Christmas.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Today is my wife's birthday, so I made a 10x10 Texas Chocolate Sheet cake. (1/2 of the batter recipe but about 1 1/3 X the icing recipe, because it's better when the icing is thick.)

BevM
                              Participant

Happy birthday to Mrs. Nolan. My sons' birthday is coming up on the 18th.

Today I baked my Blueberry Buckle Coffeecake from the KAF website. I still have lots of frozen blueberries from the summer!

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

Happy birthday to Mrs.Nolan!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.