What are You Baking the Week of August 5, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 5, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday morning, I baked the KAF Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread recipe. I made the levain last night after the newly fed sourdough starter got punchy. The first time I baked this bread, it came out beautifully—flavorful, with a light texture, which surprised me, as 75% of the flour is spelt and the leavening is the sourdough levain and ½ tsp. yeast. The next two times I baked it, the bread did not come out as well. This time, I paid close attention to my notes from the first time. It is a very slack dough, but I resisted adding more than 1 cup of the AP flour. I did get better rise this time, although not as good as what I recall from the first time I baked the recipe, and the dough was too wet to slash very well, so I’m glad that I slashed it about 15 minutes before I put it in the oven, so that it would have a bit of recovery time. I used Bob’s Red Mill organic spelt flour the past three times, and it may be that it differs in some ways from KAF’s organic spelt that affect this recipe slightly. However, the Bob’s Red Mill spelt flour, when bought as a case of 1-pound bags, and as part of an order that gets me free shipping, is much less expensive than buying a bag of the KAF organic spelt flour. I won’t know about taste and texture until tomorrow.

I'm considering using 2 Tbs. rather than just 1 Tbs. of sourdough starter next time to see if that gives more of a rise.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I used my modifications to Darina Allen's Irish Apple Cake with some big peaches from Costco, made a great late breakfast. I'll post a picture later today.

BakerAunt
        Participant

The KAF Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread has good flavor. It seems a bit dry to me, even though the dough was wet. I baked it in an Emile Henry long bread baker. I removed the lid at 25 minutes (recipe states 25-30).

I may experiment with refrigerating the levain, especially when the weather is hotter.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I baked a second batch of large zucchini muffins on Monday. I again used Ruth Bass’ recipe as my base and added 1/2 cup cinnamon chips. I tried adding ¼ tsp. baking soda, but it barely affected the rise, so I will leave it out in the future. I also reduced the canola oil to ¼ cup. I will add a note to this post tomorrow about taste and texture.

Promised Note: Reducing the oil further did help the texture, as I thought the first batch was too wet. Next time, I might try reducing the sugar from 1/2 to 1/3 cup, since I do add cinnamon chips.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

On Tuesday afternoon, I again baked a variation on my husband's mother's blueberry cobbler. This time, I substituted 25% barley flour and only added 1 tsp. flax meal. I meant to add a bit of lemon juice to the topping, but I forgot.

chocomouse
              Participant

Not much of anything happening in my kitchen this week. It's now two days in the 90s, very humid, and more tomorrow. I put together a trifle using half a lemon sheet pan cake I had in the freezer; I just had to sprinkle the cake pieces with raspberry cordial, and add layers of lemon pudding (sugar free, instant), blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries, and whipped cream.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I'm making Vienna bread today.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

We went out for lunch as the dough was bulk proofing, so it got a 3rd long rise rather than just 2 rises and it came out with a rustic exterior. I suspect the interior is going to have a lot of holes, too. But I"m sure it'll taste great.

This evening I made a batch of gluten-free Brazilian cheese rolls (they're made with tapioca flour) and we ate them with some left over marinara.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

For breakfast, I baked a new recipe, “Blueberry Cream Scones [with Mint Sugar], from Ken Haedrich’s The Harvest Baker (p. 46). I did not use the optional mint sugar (my husband is not a mint fan, nor do I have any fresh mint on hand) or the glaze, as a good scone should be able to stand on its own! I made a couple of changes: I substituted in 25% barley flour for that much AP flour, I deleted the ½ tsp. of vanilla, and I used ¼ tsp. lemon oil rather than 1/2 tsp. lemon extract or 2 tsp. grated lemon zest, which I do not have. I have an old jar of vanilla sugar that still smells like vanilla, so I sprinkled some of it on top before baking, along with a bit of the KAF sparkling sugar. These are some of the lightest, most tender scones that I’ve ever baked, and they are heavenly. I followed Haedrich's advice to freeze the blueberries overnight. I also mixed up all the dry ingredients the night before, covered the bowl and put it in the refrigerator, along with my pastry cutter.

I omitted the vanilla because, with the skyrocketing vanilla prices (and no end to it in sight), I find myself taking a page from the home front of the second world war when posters reminded motorists of gas shortages: “Is this trip necessary?” I try to apply that to recipes these days, “Is the vanilla necessary?” My only concession was that stash of vanilla sugar that I really should use up.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: typo
                      KIDPIZZA
                      Participant

For breakfast, I baked a new recipe, “Blueberry Cream Scones [with Mint Sugar], from Ken Haedrich’s The Harvest Baker (p. 46). I did not use the optional mint sugar (my husband is not a mint fan, nor do I have any fresh mint on hand) or the glaze, as a good scone should be able to stand on its own! I made a couple of changes: I substituted in 25% barley flour for that much AP flour, I deleted the ½ tsp. of vanilla, and I used ¼ tsp. lemon oil rather than 1/2 tsp. lemon extract or 2 tsp. grated lemon zest, which I do not have. I have an old jar of vanilla sugar that still smells like vanilla, so I sprinkled some of it on top before baking, along with a bit of the KAF sparkling sugar. These are some of the lightest, most tender scones that I’ve ever baked, and they are heavenly. I followed Haedrich’s advice to freeze the blueberries overnight. I also mixed up all the dry ingredients the night before, covered the bowl and put it in the refrigerator, along with my pastry cutter.

I omitted the vanilla because, with the skyrocketing vanilla prices (and no end to it in sight), I find myself taking a page from the home front of the second world war when posters reminded motorists of gas shortages: “Is this trip necessary?” I try to apply that to recipes these days, “Is the vanilla necessary?” My only concession was that stash of vanilla sugar that I really should use up.

BAKERAUNT:
                        Good afternoon Marliss. I understand your concern about VANILLA prices going thru the roof these days.
                        My purpose in posting this information to you & other concerned members is I am hoping that it will help you archive your expected baking results without going over your monthly food budget.

Now then, some time ago Christopher Kimball of the food magazine fame conducted this test on his learned bakers. He had baked various recipes with pure vanilla & some with artificial vanilla. & had his bakers eat these various articles. He then asked which article had the real & or fake vanilla ....GUESS WHAT...they were not able to tell the difference.

And Soooo with this info why don't you all go to the .99 cent store & buy a jar or two of the artificial vanilla & see if you can tell the difference.

NUFF SAID !!!!
                        You all have a nice day now.

~KIDPIZZA.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I can definitely tell the difference between artificial vanilla and real vanilla.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Because vanilla has been plentiful for most of our lives, it seems to make its way as an ingredient into most dessert recipes. What I would like to figure out is when the vanilla (and how much of it) is essential, and when it is being added as force of habit. In the case of these scones, my husband thinks the lemon oil is too strong, although I find it ok; perhaps the vanilla would have evened it out, or perhaps I could have left both out.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

When a recipe calls for lemon oil or extract, I usually cut the amount in half, because I think many recipes call for too much. Unless you're making something like lemon curd or a lemon pie, lemon should be a hint, not a punch in the face.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I've got a loaf of KA classic white bread rising now,but I subbed in 1 cup of WW so it will be a light honey wheat bread.

chocomouse
                                Participant

I love the flavor of lemon, and usually prefer a very strong lemon taste. That's why I like KAF's lemon juice powder, and often end up doubling it in their recipes. I haven't figured out yet what proportions to use when I sub it in place of lemon oil or extract or juice/zest. I skip the vanilla called for in many recipes. I never use it in recipes that also use other strong flavors, like lemon, orange, chocolate.... However, I think the success of some recipes is all due to the vanilla, and without the vanilla, you wouldn't bother to make it again.

Today I tried another recipe for cinnamon roll cake. The last one I made was not so great, it was so tender it just fell apart. I'm hoping this one will be good enough to use as a quick and easy to make sweet treat for a gathering instead of making a true cinnamon roll yeast recipe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.