What are You Baking the Week of August 26, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 26, 2018?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

After some nice cool days, it is hot and muggy here again, so I'm not baking today. If any of you are doing so, here is this week's thread.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I baked custard yesterday and today, and will probably have to make white bread soon, as I think I just took the last half-loaf out of the freezer.

wonky
        Participant

I have been so busy the past couple of weeks with turning a spare bedroom into a sewing room, so haven't been her for a while. And, no the room is not ready yet, but we are getting close. I am super excited about it. I am in the process of researching new sewing machines also, and think I have finally settled on one.

Hasn't been alot of baking lately because of the sewing room project, but last night about 8:00 the bug hit me. I decided to make apple bread, because I had some apples that needed to be used up. Following is the recipe and my adjustments, which let to a wonderful, moist, flavorful bread. I made 5 loaves, but now am down to one, because of sharing with the neighbors. Hope to make more this week to put in the freezer. The following in a doubled recipe.

Apple Bread

3 C. APF
          1 1/2 C.sugar
          1 1/2 t. Baking Soda
          1 t. Cinnamon
          1 t. salt
          1 1/3 C. veg. oil
          4 eggs lightly beaten
          1 t. Vanilla
          4 C. chopped apples

Wisk together dry ingredients
          combine the oil, eggs, vanilla and add to dry ingredients. Batter will be very thick. Add chopped apples, and stir just until blended.

Put batter into 2 greased 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 pans. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes at 350 until toothpick comes out clean. Let rest in pans for 10 minutes, and remove loaves to cooling rack.

I subed in l/2 cup of WW flour, used 1 C. of apple butter and l/3 C oil. Added 3 T. sour cream, and l/4 C. ground flax. Baked 5 small loaves for 25 minutes. The results were wonderful.Very moist, flavorful, and tender. I was pleased with the results. I also sprinkled the loaves with cinnamon/sugar mixture.

chocomouse
          Participant

Today I pulled out a recipe from the 70s which I have not made for over 40 years. It's called Creamy Dutch Apple Dessert. It used a canned Dutch apple pie filling that had raisins in it, which I couldn't find in local stores, so I just added raisins to a can of Lucky Leaf. It has a graham cracker-melted butter base, and then is layers of the pie filling and a mix of sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and lemon juice. We have not eaten any yet, so I can't say if it tastes as good as it did years ago. Maybe someone here is old enough to remember and has tried that or a similar recipe?

Later: It's OK, not as good as I remembered it. Way too sweet, heavy. I"ll not make it again!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by chocomouse.
            Joan Simpson
            Participant

I baked a loaf of white bread from Moomies Burger buns recipe but subbed potato water and part buttermilk for the liquid,cut the yeast as BakerAunt said to 2 teaspoons and added in a half cup of leftover mashed potatoes.It turned out great.It was a little soft when I turned out to shape had to knead in about a half cup of flour.I baked it in a 9x5 and it rose to 1 inch above pan.Baked it for 30 minutes it has a good crust and a good crumb,light.I buttered it when it came out and no squishing when turned out.Happy here,had some with toast and fig jam and it hit the spot!I haven't baked a lot lately so I was happy!

BakerAunt
              Participant

It's so nice to read about everyone's baking!

Welcome back, Wonky! The apple bread looks wonderful.

Chocomouse--it's always fun to pull out an old recipe. I hope it tastes as good as you remember--or even better!

Joan--Isn't it great to be baking bread again? You chose the perfect recipe.

Today I baked the Chia Energy Bars from the KAF website. I had tried them once before, but I had substituted cracked wheat for the quinoa, and they were soggy. This time, I had quinoa left over from another recipe (see cooking thread). I'd found the quinoa at T.J. Maxx when we were in South Bend about a month ago. (The brand is Pereg, and I've had great experiences with their bean mixes, and the price is good.)

I used the peanut butter option, and the old-fashioned peanut butter. I also elected to use 1/2 cup of KAF mixed dried fruit and not any nuts. I did reduce the honey to 1/3 cup, as several commentators mentioned that the bars were a tad sweet. I lined my pan with parchment. I cut the cooled bars into 12 pieces, and they held together well. I ate one for dessert, and they are certainly worthy of a place in my repertoire. My husband liked them also. I'll probably try then with almond butter next time.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Thursday afternoon, I baked two loaves of Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread. I used the same proportions as last time, except that I accidentally increased the barley flour to 1 cup (moment of inattention), so I decreased the AP flour to 1 ¼ Cup. The bread baked well, so I may incorporate that change as I work to increase the recipe’s whole grain content. I baked to 195F, which works better for a bread with honey.

skeptic7
                  Participant

Hi There! I haven't written for awhile. I have been baking but nothing extraordinary. My recent spate of baking was triggered by a carton of milk going sour and luckily coincided with a cool spell. I baked a double batch of whole wheat blueberry bread. This was a quick bread and it came out fine! I used the rest of the milk in a whole wheat yeast bread with dates that turned out too dense. The sort of bread that is only useful as a delivery system for cream cheese. I sliced it thin and went out to buy a carton of cream cheese. Its made wonderful lunches for the past week.
                    I've had other baking splurges triggered by a need to get rid of milk. Last time it was an extra large batch of English Muffins, partially white flour, and a double batch of apricot quick bread, and a double batch of oatmeal cranberry quick bread. I'm not sure if I am salvaging milk -- a good thing and so thrifty, or wasting eggs and flour and oil and fruit; and then putting myself to the bother of driving around and finding friends to eat the bread.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I haven't made any kind of pie in a long time and haven't made a peach pie in years. So today I made a peach pie. I followed a recipe on Youtube but seasoned it with a pinch of cloves and a couple of drops of almond extract. I cheated on the crust, used the refrigerated Pillsbury pie crust. I won't know how it turned out until tomorrow (if I can contain myself tonight) but I think it looks good.

Peach-Pie

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      Joan Simpson
                      Participant

RiversideLen that pie looks awesome!

navlys
                        Participant

Skeptic I can sympathize with your thriftiness . I bought a box of Ferrara (hard) ladyfingers on sale 3 years ago. I couldn't bear to throw them away. So today I spent $4 on marscapone to make tiramisu. I used the recipe on the box and I think it came out pretty good. I do not like cream cheese so don't even think about it as a substitution.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

Thank you Joan. It came out pretty good and tastes great.

pie-slice

Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Looks great especially with that ice cream.

skeptic7
                              Participant

Navyls;
                                How did the tiramisu come out? Did you make it for yourself or for a party?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.