What are You Baking the Week of August 20, 2017?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 20, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I will be baking something today; I've just not yet decided what. For all of you more organized bakers, here is this week's thread.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I baked 2 loaves of "Cuban Bread" from "The Complete Tightwad Gazette." I like this recipe, because it only takes 90 minutes from start to finish. I didn't like the appearance of one of the finished loaves (boules ? they're round). It had a side blowout. Online sources say this can be caused by uneven oven temp, or something else I've forgotten. I think mine were from poor slashing. I was in a hurry when I slashed. When the finished loaves came out of the oven, I could tell by both of them that I my hurry had led to poor slashes.

I also reduced the salt from 1 tablespoon to a guesstimated 2 teaspoons. Definitely, I used less salt. One online article makes me think that could have helped cause the problem. So I won't reduce the salt again.

The blowout loaf is for bruschetta for tomorrow's lunch & French Toast on Tuesday, so I hope it tastes okay and looks somewhat normal inside. I'm going to freeze the one that looks okay.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Italiancook.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Baked the eclipse cookies yesterday and today.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I'm mixing up the dough for Soft Barley-Sugar Cookies, from KAF's Whole Grain Baking. The dough needs to be refrigerated overnight. I'll bake them tomorrow morning. The recipe makes 10 giant cookies. I plan to use the KAF yellow sparkling sugar on them. For tomorrow, I will dub them the "Make Your Own Eclipse" Cookie. All it takes is one bite! ๐Ÿ™‚

Italiancook
            Participant

I'm baking a Damson Plum Crostata today.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Wednesday morning was a perfect time to try a new scone recipe, as the weather was quite cool overnight. (The old c.1970s avocado-green stove works fine, as long as I set the temperature 25F degrees lower, but it does heat up the kitchen.) I baked Whole Wheat Scones, from a special Irish edition of Bon Appetit (March 1993), p. 113-1114. The recipe is from Parliament House. Instead of baking powder, it uses baking soda and cream of tartar. It is half whole wheat, and I decided to use the KAF Irish Whole Meal flour, since I discovered this summer how light it is in scones. These have no add-ins and use 1/4 cup of sugar. I followed the directions and cut the two rounds into quarters, so they made large scones. I had intended to put butter and jam on a large scone for breakfast, but it was so delicious, warm and plain, that I ate it without any additions.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                Rascals1
                Participant

Sweet Potato pie recipe: Wondering if anyone has a tried and true recipe for one. Thank you

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Rascals1.
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Haven't tried it, but here's a recipe that got ported over from the KAF BC:

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Wednesday afternoon, I tried another new recipe, "Dark Chocolate Brownies with White Chocolate Chunks," which appeared in Bon Appetit (August 1999). My only change was to line the pan with parchment paper. They are delicious--with great dark chocolate flavor--and would likely be even better with chunks of gourmet white chocolate, but I had some white chocolate Ghirardelli chips to use up. I'm saving the gourmet ones for another cookie recipe.

In the evening, I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese crackers from the dough I put together last week. I found a container of frozen soup--Kid Pizza's mother's spinach and lentil soup--so the crackers will go well with them for tomorrow's lunch.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I made Vienna Bread on Monday.

Italiancook
                        Participant

BakerAunt, I'm glad you've been able to try so many new recipes this year. My new year's resolution was to try one new recipe a week, but I broke it early on. For health reasons, I need to avoid baking powder, but most of the new recipes I wanted to try have baking powder. I found a recipe online for making a faux baking powder, but never tried it, and no longer know where the recipe is located. Occasionally, I make something with baking powder, but try to stick to yeast-only recipes, which leaves out a lot of the goodies. I don't like the texture of yeast sweets.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I've never heard of a health reason to avoid baking powder what's in it you have to avoid? Even the aluminum-free ones?

Italiancook
                            Participant

I have kidney disease, and baking powder is not recommended on the renal diet. Not sure, but I think it's because of the phosphorus content. Don't quote me on that, because I've never asked anyone. I just know phosphorus is regulated on the renal diet. I don't know if aluminum-free baking powder would make a difference, but I'm glad you brought that up so I can ask.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Sounds like you may need to avoid the double-acting baking powders, because it appears those all use phosphorus, but a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and cream of tartar might be OK on your diet. Let us know if you find anything out.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Italian Cook: See if this site is helpful:

https://www.davita.com/kidney-disease/diet-and-nutrition/lifestyle/baking-on-the-kidney-diet/e/5331

It has a link to a baking powder substitute that is phosphorus free. It uses 1/4 cup cream of tartar and 2 Tbs. baking soda. You then use the mixture as you would baking powder.

I hope this helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.