What are You Baking the Week of August 19, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of August 19, 2018?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I've not baked today, but for those of you who have, here is this week's thread.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I baked Bernard Clayton's Dark Grains Bread again on Monday afternoon. The bread does seem to do better with 4 tsp. of yeast, in spite of the fast rising times. I did cut the salt to 2 1/4 tsp. and I reduced the honey by 1 Tbs. I decided to throw in 1/4 cup of flax meal. I cut the baking time from 50 to 40 minutes, and that worked well. I'll add a note to this post after I slice it tomorrow at lunch. I'm almost ready to post my version of the recipe.

Promised Note: The bread definitely has better texture with the 4 tsp. of yeast. Cutting the salt to 2 and 1/4 tsp. did not hurt it, nor did adding the flax meal. Cutting the baking time by 10 minutes produced a bread without a too-browned top, and one not as dry inside as last time. Next time, I think that I will shorten the first rise. While the dough did not fall, it did more than double, which may be why the second rise only took 25 minutes.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
        RiversideLen
        Participant

Today I made burger buns. A mix of whole wheat, bread flour, semolina and rye. Superior to the store bought buns I had last week.

chocomouse
          Participant

It's good to be back and baking! My husband had eaten most of the bread from the freezer, so a priority yesterday was a batch of whole wheat sandwich bread, and today I made 6 hamburger buns and 8 hot dog buns with the Wheat-Oat-Flax recipe. I brought some really nice juicy peaches back from Michigan, so I also made peach muffins.

Len, I agree, and we haven't eaten store-bought buns for years! They have an odd flavor, probably the preservatives.

BakerAunt
            Participant

This afternoon I baked a new recipe, Whole-Wheat and Oatmeal Zucchini Bread, from Ken Haedrich's The Harvest Baker (p. 50). Instead of using two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans, I used five 6x3-inch smaller ones and baked for 35 minutes. I used THE GREASE, and it worked as spectacularly as always. I used the quick oats option, as I have a lot more of those on hand. I made a few changes as well:

I reduced the salt by half (from 1 tsp to 1/2 tsp.)
              I added 1/3 cup powdered milk (for nutrition)
              I added 3 Tbs. ground flax meal
              I used buttermilk.
              I deleted the citrus zest (Comments on zest in a previous week led me to that decision.)
              I used pecans instead of walnuts, because I still have a lot of pecans.

We cut a warm one for dessert tonight. I will definitely bake this recipe again. I plan to freeze two or three of the loaves.

I've now baked four of the recipes in this baking book, and I'm impressed--although I do make some changes.

Chocomouse and Len--When we vacationed in Florida last January, we had to buy bread at the grocery. While friends raved about Publix's bread, I was VERY unimpressed. The loaf from National Bakery, however, was wonderful.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

I'm never sure where pizza ought to go, but I'll put it here in baking. I wanted to try Pizza Margherita, as we have such nice tomatoes. I looked at the KAF recipe, then I looked at the KAF recipe for sourdough pizza. I decided to use both of those crusts recipes to make my own to fit into a 12 1/2 x 17 1/2 pan. I thought about how Wonky once said that she and I just start experimenting--like we know what we are doing. This is an example.

I wanted more wholegrains in the crust, so I used 3/4 cup KAF unbleached, 1 cup semolina, 1/2 cup durum flour, and 1/4 cup medium rye. I cut the salt to 3/4 tsp. I added 1 Tbs. ground flax meal. I added 2 Tbs. of the KAF special dried milk, as I've been told to increase my calcium intake.

I proofed 1/2 tsp. active yeast in 1/2 cup warm water with 1/2 tsp. honey. I added 1 cup of my sourdough starter (mine is milk based; it is also of a pancake batter consistency). I then mixed in the dry ingredients. I switched to the kneading spiral. The dough seemed dry. I decided to add 1 Tbs. of olive oil at this point. It took a while to mix it in, and I had to knead at speeds 3 and 2 for about 8 minutes, but it came together as a nice dough. I let it rise for 3 1/2 hours (about 30 minutes too long, as there was some starting to collapse. I oiled my large pan, then spread the dough out, patting and stretching until it was even and it stopped snapping back. I let it rise for 90 minutes more.

I brushed the surface with about 1 Tbs. olive oil. I then arranged slices from 5 tomatoes over the surface. I evenly sprinkled 4 oz. of mozzarella over the surface. I put snips of basil leaves (from farmers' market) on my half, as my husband does not like basil. I baked in a pre-heated 450F oven for 20 minutes, at which time the cheese was melted and the crust golden. The basil did not do so well in the heat, so I need to re-think how I did that. It turned black and had not much flavor at all. Perhaps it needs to be added after the pizza comes out?

We each had a couple of slices, accompanied by some of the lentil soup that I made earlier this week. It was the perfect dinner for this cooler, overcast and rainy day.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: spelling error
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I haven't baked or cooked much in the last two weeks, today we had eggs for breakfast, toast with cheese or peanut butter for lunch and custard for supper. (My wife is essentially on the BRAT diet at the moment.)

RiversideLen
                  Participant

BakerAunt, whenever I've seen fresh basil used on a pizza, I've seen them add it after the pie comes out of the oven.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Thanks, Len. I was following the King Arthur people who said in their Pizza Margherita recipe to put it on BEFORE baking. Now I know better.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: spelling error
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

I took a look at KAF and see that, BakerAunt. But in the photo it definitely looks like it was added after baking. I bet it's an error in the directions. I can see mixing it into the sauce before baking, but as a topping it should be added coming out of the oven or at the table.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by RiversideLen.
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I've seen one pizzeria that puts huge basil leaves on and throws the pie under the broiler for 10 seconds, but otherwise it is usually added as the pie comes out of the oven.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Len--it says to put it on before, and that more can be added after it comes out of the oven.

Led astray by KAF yet again....

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.