What are you Baking the week of April 8, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of April 8, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a new thread for the week's baking

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Only thing I baked today is a box of Duncan Hines fudge brownies.Chewy like we like them.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I was going to bake Milk Chocolate Egg Cookies, from the March/April 2018 issue of Baking from Scratch, but I felt that it would be a waste of high-end chocolate (see thread on when to use or not use expensive chocolate). However, I had a package of Cadbury mini-eggs I'd bought to use in the recipe. So, I baked Deep Dark Brownies from the KAF website, and crushed the Cadbury mini-chocolate eggs and sprinkled them over the top of the brownies before I baked them this morning. They should be ready to cut for dinner tonight. I'll add a note to this post about what we think of my innovation.

I use a 10x10 ceramic square dish for this recipe because the center never cooked through before the sides were done in a 9x9 inch metal pan. I also find that these brownies are better if they have a long rest period before cutting. Eight hours should do it, but I usually bake them the day before I plan to serve them.

Added Note: The crushed mini-eggs make an attractive top next to the dark chocolate and give a nice crunch. It's a nice way to vary a brownie recipe.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by BakerAunt.
          skeptic7
          Participant

I baked white whole wheat bread with hunks of Cabot chedder mixed in. This was based on my focaccio recipe but I cut up a cup of Extra Sharp Cabot Cheddar in 1/2-3/4 inch cupes and mixed it in. I had 4 cups of flour in the recipe. It was very good, I gave half away and ate the other half in two days. This made a rather large flat round that I baked in a cloche.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Anything baked with Cabot cheese is wonderful.

Today I baked Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers, using the dough I mixed up on Saturday evening.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I have been reviving my sourdough starter so I made sourdough bread last night and let rise overnight then knead for 10 min and baked it today.Had some toast for lunch and it's good.I'm sure the next loaf will be even lighter.

BakerAunt
                Participant

This Wednesday evening, I'm baking biscotti. This recipe, for Ginger Biscotti with Pistachios, came from a restaurant, Fifty Seven Fifty Seven in New York, and was published in the R.S.V.P. column of Bon Appetit (June 1997), p. 26. I baked it last fall and was somewhat disappointed as it did not have much ginger taste. The only change I had made at that time was to use dried orange peel in place of freshly grated orange peel. For me, I'm not sure that orange and ginger go together, but I wanted to give it a try. I don't recall tasting much of the orange flavor either.

This time, I omitted the orange peel. I added 1/2 tsp. of lemon extract and 1/3 cup minced, crystalized ginger. I made that change because a Ginger Shortbread recipe I like, by Ken Haedrich, uses crystalized ginger and lemon extract in addition to vanilla. (That recipe also uses grated lemon zest, I did not add lemon zest because I want the ginger taste to be primary.) I'm now doing the second bake. I'll add a note to this post tomorrow about taste and if this recipe has the zing I seek.

Promised Note: The ginger flavor from the crystalized ginger is exactly what I wanted. I'll add this recipe to my biscotti repertoire.

skeptic7
                  Participant

Baker Aunt;
                    Good luck with your biscotti. I like orange/ginger flavor in scones and the recent hot cross buns. I don't think dried orange peel has much flavor compared to orange extract or candied orange peel. The recipe in which I used dried orange peel, like sponge cake, have a very subtle orange flavor.
                    Cabot Cheddar is wonderful stuff as is the Greek yogurt. I've been to the Cabot Creamery twice when I was going through Vermont and stopping at King Arthur -- they aren't close but I was going up the Eastern part of the state. Very nice people and a wonderfully clean and modern plant. I love their history. Last time I was there I bought plenty of cheese and later a Cabot Creamery cook book. Its amazing how recipes from a dairy farmer uses much more cheese in macaroni and cheese, then my older cook books. I've seen a cheese sauce recipe that uses 1/2 cup of cheese in a white sauce, and the Cabot Creamery had 2 cups of cheese with just enough milk and flour to let it spread easily.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I like candied orange and candied lemon peel. Unfortunately, my husband does not. I have some that I need to use up, so I'll be looking at ways of incorporating it without his knowledge.

This Thursday evening, I'm baking Sub[marine] Rolls, a recipe that came from the KAF Baker's Catalog, and also with the perforated 5-roll pan I bought from KAF years ago. [They do not carry it anymore.] I made the biga this morning, and started the rest of the recipe after 5 p.m.. I've modified the recipe. I always substitute in 2 cups of whole wheat flour, but this time I substituted in an additional 1/2 cup of dark rye flour and added 2 Tbs. flax meal. I substituted 3/4 cup buttermilk for that much water. I used 1 Tbs. of honey rather than 1 Tbs. of sugar. I reduced the salt from 1 Tbs. to 2 tsp., but I was tempted to cut it further. The rolls are now on their second rise.

We are attending a brown bag luncheon talk tomorrow, sponsored by the local historical society, so I thought some special bread for sandwiches would be nice. It's also a way to draw attention to freshly baked bread.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I've probably got the same 5 roll hoagie pan, but I don't make hoagie rolls very often, I've been wondering about using it to make hot dog buns.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I've also used it to bake small loaves that I slice and use at parties.

navlys
                          Participant

It's getting near the big day! I have 3 bananas, 1/2 c flour, oat flakes cereal,1/4 cup canola oil, 1/2 stick butter, I box of pumpkin cookie mix. Somehow I think baking a banana bread would present quite a challenge. Baking is not like cooking is it? you can't just throw things together and hope for the best. Maybe this should be a "Chopped" basket!

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Mike, I think that the pan would work for hot dog buns. Depending on how long you make the buns, you might even be able to fit two on each well--or make long ones and cut them in half.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

I baked a new recipe this afternoon, the KAF Maple Doughnuts. It makes six, and they are smaller than other baked doughnut recipes. I think that they would fit nicely in the Nordic Ware six-well, heart-shaped doughnut pan. I used the six-well, conventional-shaped Norpro pan, which probably holds about 2-3 tsp. more batter and has center posts that rise above the level of the pan, so that the hole stays open. I also made the maple glaze, although the microwave I'm using is rather old, so it is hard to figure our how long to microwave the glaze ingredients.

Instead of using a piping bag to put the batter in the molds, I used a miniature spoonula and dropped in four "blobs" per doughnut, and smoothed them on top. Next time, I'll smooth them out a little more, as they had a "rugged" top, but it may help them hold the glaze more efficiently. I'll add a note after dinner tonight on what we think of the recipe.

Verdict: The maple doughnuts are ok, but they are nothing special, and I'm unlikely to bake them again.

chocomouse
                                Participant

I made maple-pecan scones. I used my usual 1/4 cup of dark maple syrup, and then added about 1/2 cup of bits of maple candy, pieces leftover from when my husband made candy from our latest batch of maple syrup. I was curious to see if they would melt and just disappear into the batter, or if they would remain, sort of like maple chips. They melted into the batter. But they did add flavor and sweetness. I also brushed the tops of each scone with maple syrup as soon as they come out of the oven. We've stopped our sugaring operation for the season, but have plenty of syrup to last us the rest of the year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.