What are You Baking the Week of April 29, 2018?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of April 29, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I began the week by making Mostly Whole Grain Waffles (wheat germ, whole wheat flour, cornmeal, buckwheat flour, and AP flour). I make Belgian Waffles, and I have four squares left over for the freezer and toaster breakfasts.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Made sandwich buns today.

wonky
        Participant

I made 2 loaves of King Arthurs WW sandwich bread. (see PJ"S blog on this bread) My neighbor runs a day care, and now the state of Wisconsin is requiring all day care providers who are in the food program to serve only WW bread and WW noodles. She asked to make her two loaves to try with the children in her care. This recipe is amazing...I ended up with two of the most beautiful loaves of WW bread ever. The children loved it, and gobbled up their PB&J sandwiches. If you have not tried this recipe, I highly recommend it. I did however add 2 TBS of gluten.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I am planning to some burger/brat buns on Wednesday if I don't get sucked into an IT project.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Wonky, I hope that Blanche, who posted some questions about making a completely wholegrain bread, is still reading on this site. Clearly, you have found a perfect one!

BakerAunt
              Participant

Today I baked a new recipe, "Brown Sugar Bundt Cake with Toasted Sesame Frosting," from One Bowl Baking, a special issue of Bake from Scratch (p. 16) that came out this spring. The cake itself is wonderful and has a softer texture than the KAF Brown Sugar Pound Cake that I've baked. This one bakes at 300F for 65 minutes, and I noted that I had no issues with the interior not being baked through.

I did have some sticking issues when I removed the pan after allowing it to cool for 10 minutes. I don't know that additional cooling time would have helped. I used the "grease," and it could be that I missed some small spots. It came out mostly intact, with some sharp hitting of the rack on the table, and I stuck back on the bit that did stick.

Neither my husband nor I care much for the Toasted Sesame Frosting, which is made of tahini, butter, confectioners' sugar, and a dash of salt. It does ok with the cake, which is not sweet, but it is definitely not a frosting that you leave until last. I'll bake this cake again, and either serve it as is--it is moist and light--or use a light vanilla glaze.

I also baked "Dark Grain Bread," a recipe from Bernard Clayton, Jr.'s New Complete Book of Breads (revised and expanded edition), pp. 223-225. It's the one that I discussed in a previous thread, where we determined that it could be mixed and kneaded in a powerful modern mixer. This time, I substituted 1 1/2 Cups buttermilk for that much water (still leaving 1 Cup water. I also replaced the molasses with honey, since I do not care for such a strong molasses taste. I again replaced 2 Tbs. shortening with 2 Tbs. unsalted butter. I reduced the yeast from two packets (4 1/2 tsp.) to 4 tsp., and the salt from 1 Tbs. to 2 1/2 tsp. I added 1/4 cup special dried milk that I wanted to use up.

It had a very fast second rise, probably because it was in the low 80s today, so I put it in the oven before it was fully heated. It's about to come out, and it has held a nice shape. I'll report tomorrow on taste and texture.

Addendum: I definitely prefer the bread with honey rather molasses. The texture is fine, but it did rise just a bit too long. It has a complex taste--no one grain predominating. I'll bake it again with these changes--and keep an eye on the rise when it is so warm.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I made 9 hot dog and 3 burger buns today using the 'Chicago Hot Dog bun' recipe on the KAF site. I left the salt out of the dough but sprinkled a little salt on the top along with the seeds. (There's so much salt in a hot dog and most toppings that I didn't figure the bun needed a lot of salt.)

I glued the seeds down with a combination of egg white, water and honey. Seemed to work pretty good.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I made two batches of chocolate cherry scones on Sunday which were great!

Yesterday I made A whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread which turned out be be a large flat circle and the sort of bread that is cut very thin and eaten with cream cheese. I did everything wrong and knew it as I did it, but I was so tired i let it rise too long at most of the stages and before baking. If it wasn't for a very good bread knife and a lot of cream cheese, this would be best fed to the geese. Its very dense and heavy and sort of harsh tasting. I basically made this bread to use up a lot of milk that had been accidently left unrefrigerated. The next loaf is going to have white flour which is easier to work with.

Today I made my absolutely perfect brownies in a double batch -- but what can you say about perfect brownies? These are cakey with nuts, and have whole wheat flour and oil and cocoa and walnuts.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Thursday afternoon I baked a new recipe, Granola Biscotti, from Deb Perelman's selection of breakfast recipes in the new Spring 2018 issue of KAF's Sift Magazine (p. 53). I followed the recipe and omitted the optional vanilla. I used the option of turbinado (sugar in the raw). I used some mixed fruit that I had from KAF. The recipe did not specify, but I used old-fashioned oats. I took the option of substituting in 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour. I let them sit, after the first bake for 30 minutes, then spritzed with water, waited 5 minutes, then cut with a serrated knife, straight rather than diagonally, before the second bake.

I ate a few crumbs before the second bake--delicious!

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I like the biscotti, but when I make them again, I will likely not use a fruit blend with raisins, which are a bit large for this kind of smaller cookie.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

You could try substituting currants for the raisins, they're smaller.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

This fruit blend--from KAF--had rather a lot of raisins and currants. Maybe next time I will mix in some dried apple that I have.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Saturday night's baking project is Roasted Strawberry Cream Cheese Rolls, which is pictured on the front cover of the Spring 2018 Sift magazine. It is also available on the KAF website:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/roasted-strawberry-cream-cheese-rolls-recipe

I've made a few changes, which those who regularly read this site already know. ๐Ÿ™‚

I substituted in 1 1/4 Cups white whole wheat flour and added 2 Tbs. flax meal. I substituted in 2/3 cup buttermilk instead of using 3/4 Cup milk. (I was going to do just 1/2 cup buttermilk and the rest yeast, but I wanted to use it up.) and I used 3 Tbs. of water to proof the yeast. I substituted in 1 Tbs. of honey for one of the two tablespoons of sugar to try to prevent staling. (Adding honey to prevent staling is one of Cass's tips.) I kneaded the dough in my bread machine, but it is now rising in a regular bowl. It feels like a lovely dough.

The filling calls for roasting the strawberries, and I started them as soon as I started the bread machine. I'll substitute the zest from one lemon for the 2 tsp. of orange zest in the filling because I have lemons not oranges in the house.

I'll bake these this evening and frost them tomorrow. I'll use a different frosting recipe (maybe the one from the KAF Whole Grain Baking for the Dark and Dangerous Cinnamon Buns). The given frosting uses cream cheese, and I do not want to open another package and just use 2 oz. of it. I had 4 oz. left over from another recipe, which was exactly what the dough required.

I'll come back tomorrow and report on how the recipe turns out and about taste and texture.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

The last time I made cream cheese frosting I made a lot more than I needed, so I just put it all in a pastry bag and stuck it in the refrigerator, it's very good on graham crackers.

wonky
                                Participant

BakerAunt...I always have to chuckle when I read your posts...You and I are much alike...we just can't leave a recipe well enough alone...we sub. and add and delete certain ingredients, just like we know what we are doing.

BTW..where do you live dear lady, some day I might show up on your door step, flour, honey, yeast and alot of other things in hand. Wouldn't we have a blast. Oh...for sure I'd have to bring my Kitchen Aid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.