What are you baking the week of April 15, 2018

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of April 15, 2018

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm not baking anything today, but here's a thread for those who are.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On this Monday of snow showers, I'm baking Bischofsbrot (recipe on this site). I substituted in, by weight, 1/2 cup of barley flour. I also increased the maraschino cherries from 15 to 20 (they seemed rather puny), and used a cup of Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips (large ones). We will try it out for dessert tomorrow.

I'm also baking Semolina Rolls from the KAF website, which go into the oven as soon as the Bischofsbrot comes out. We were invited to dinner in the mid-afternoon, and that was one recipe I knew that I could do relatively quickly with the bread machine doing the mixing and kneading while I worked on the other recipe. I substituted in 1 cup of buttermilk and reduced the salt from 1 1/2 to 1 tsp. The warm rolls will go with us to dinner.

Addendum: The rolls are great, and I'd bake them with these changes again.

Second Addendum: The Bischofsbrot stuck in two places, although I let it rest in the pan for 15 minutes after coming out of the oven. I had used the grease. I think that it was the chocolate in those two places, and I'm thankful that the sticking was minor. Next time, I will also use parchment paper to line the bottom of the pan, and will grease it as well.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Note: The barley flour substitution in the Bischofsbrot worked well, and I will do it again.

Temperatures have soared to 41F but it is very cloudy and looks like possible rain. It's time to head into the kitchen and bake! On Wednesday afternoon, I'm baking two loaves of my Buttermilk Grape Nuts Bread. I'm substituting in 1/2 cup of barley flour, along with the 1 cup of whole wheat flour. I'll reduce the AP flour that I use in combination with bread flour. I'm also going to cut the salt to 2 tsp.

Note: The bread is fine with less salt. I also like the flavor of the barley flour and will use it again.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Friday afternoon, I baked Bob's Delicious Chocolate Chip Muesli Cookies, a recipe from Bob's Red Mill. I did cut the salt from 1/2 to 1/4 tsp., since there is sodium in the baking soda. I also used just 1/2 rather than 1 cup of chocolate chips, and I used dark chocolate chips.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Saturday morning I baked a new recipe, Scottish Buttermilk Oat Scones, from the back of a Bob's Red Mill package of steel-cut oats. The recipe is only ok, nothing great. They are better once cooled, and split and covered with my peach jam. I went to the Bob's site to find a link to the recipe and discovered that the onsite version uses 1/2 cup rather than 1/4 cup of unbleached white flour. That would improve the somewhat soggy consistency, but I'm not sure that I would be in a hurry to try this recipe again:

• This reply was modified 5 years, 12 months ago by BakerAunt.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

Saturday afternoon I baked Espresso Brownie Bites, a recipe that came with my Nordic Ware Brownie Bundt pan. It made twelve cute little Bundt cakes, and we ate a couple with vanilla ice cream. It's a good recipe with crisp exterior and chewy inside. I will bake these again.

Hmm--I seem to be the only member baking this week.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 12 months ago by BakerAunt.
                RiversideLen
                Participant

Friday, I made a spice cake using Arrowhead Mills vanilla box cake mix and topped it with maple frosting.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I have Harvest Grain (KAF) bread rising now. Yesterday I made the Chewy Maple Cookies again. Love that recipe, so tasty, and the cookies come out exactly the same consistency even when I double the recipe.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Chocomouse--Where is this fabulous Chewy Maple Cookie recipe?

chocomouse
                      Participant

The Chewy Maple Cookie is from Taste of Home. I add about 1/4 cup of flour and get the perfect chewiness. I also use only pure Vermont (ours) maple syrup, the "robust" version, what used to be labeled "dark" or Grade B - no extract or flavoring. I've added pecans once, but we like them best without nuts. Be warned -- the recipe makes only about 30 two-inch cookies!

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Thanks, Chocomouse.

Here's the link, in case others are interested:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chewy-maple-cookies/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.