What are you baking the week of April 1, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of April 1, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making Vienna Bread today.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Tonight I made the dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I made burger buns, I used a combination of KAF bread flour, white whole wheat, rye and semolina. They came out real nice.

chocomouse
          Participant

Interesting combination for the buns, Len. I've started adding a little rye flour to many of my breads, just for a more complex flavor. What amounts of each flour did you use? And what did the semolina do for the texture? I'm thinking these would be fairly sturdy buns?

I'm raising buttermilk bread in the abm right now, which I'll bake in the oven, and will start maple cinnamon scones in a few minutes.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Count me in as someone who is adding rye to various bread recipes--and sometimes barley!

RiversideLen
              Participant

The recipe I use calls for 14 ounces of flour. I usually divide it half and half bread and white whole wheat. Yesterday I used 2 ounces each or rye and semolina (about 14% each) and 5 ounces each of bread and WWW (about 36% each). I usually use a little semolina in pizza dough, maybe 20% or so, and that makes the dough easier to handle plus it gives it a little color. So I thought I'd try adding some semolina. This bread dough was easy to handle but this dough is easy to handle regardless. As far as I can tell, the semolina didn't have a significant effect on the texture. I'll probably omit the semolina nest time and replace it with bread flour just because I didn't see any benefit to it.

buns

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Semolina is made from durum wheat, which is a high protein strain, but it has a different ratio of glutenin and gliadin (the protein groups that make up gluten), one higher in gliadin, giving it more extensibility (which is good for extruding pasta) and less elasticity.

I'm not sure you'd notice that when making buns if you're only using 10-15% semolina, but it also adds a nuttiness flavor that I like, especially in pizza dough.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Good looking buns, nice crumb. I always use semolina in pizza dough, but haven't tried it in the burger bun recipe, where I generally use half AP (KAF) or bread flour and half white or regular whole wheat. I'm finding the buns tend to get soggy and fall apart if wetter sandwich ingredients are used, say tomatoes and spring greens.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I'm not sure what the secret is to having buns that don't fall apart when they get a little wet. I'll do some research on the issue.

I have my suspicion that the dough needs to be enriched somehow to give it more structure.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

That would explain why Moonie's buns work so well.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Thanks for doing some research, Mike. I am using Moomie's bun recipe, and I've tried substituting whole grain flours, and also adding potato flakes. I've not kept good records, but have not been completely satisfied with any of the results.

It may be a while before I try any suggestions. I'm having surgery tomorrow, and am not sure when I'll get back into the kitchen.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Best wishes, Chocomouse, for a speedy recovery.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Chocomouse I'm praying you have quick and complete recovery.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

Chocomouse, wishing you a speedy recovery.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Thank you for all the well-wishes. Surgery was successful and I am home, although not quite up to par yet. This is my sixth surgery in one and a half years, and I think, I hope, it is the last. I'm anxious to get back in the kitchen!

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by chocomouse.
                                  • This reply was modified 6 years ago by chocomouse.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.